How long do u let that baitclicker run?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, Feb 12, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well it kills me to watch that reel spin when the flatty runs with it,but i always seem to set to soon.how long should i let him run?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good question. I would like to know also

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    well for me its not how long he runs, its just making sure he's still running when go for the hookset

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I set as soon as I can get to it, I don't let them run at all if I can help it.:smile2:

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man if you are using a regular hook, and Kahle or J type hook when that flathead turns tail and runs you got him. Now That's with a sharp hook that the bait is on right, meaning that it was not put on to where the bait covered the point of the hook. With a circle hook you have to wait till he loads the rod, I don't use circle hooks I tried them and I will stay with the kahle hook. Now they all will work but I just prefer the kahle type. Anyway a old flat might fiddle with a bait for a while before he takes it but when he runs he has the bait. I've fished with guys who got a fish to run with a bait and when they jerked they said they missed a flathead. I don't argue with they but most of the time it was a gar that had the bait. I gar will grab the bait and swim off with it just in his mouth. A flathead will have it in his throat when he swims off. All the big flatheads I've caught on a rod hit the same way. The rod would shake like crazy, not pull just shake and then the clicker would start. Now I've had them just do that all at once and I've had them fiddle with it for 15 minuites before they did it but all the same. It would shake then run. So for me when they start to run I set the hook with a steady sweep of the rod and hang on!!!!

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm such a poor fisherman that it usually takes a few for me to figure out what "that sound" is......
    :crazy:

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    An old flathead fisherman once told me "if he's runnin he ain't got it in his hands" that theory works for me.

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I only really care about is if they are still running after I take the rod out of the rod holder. Once its out and if they are still running I give them about 5secs then engage the reel and slowly lift up. If they arent running anymore I will hold onto the rod for a couple of mins and see what I can feel. Using a super line like Power Pro usually will let me feel weather or not my baits still there. I only use circle hooks.

9. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree with DOYLE as soon as he runs I set the hook.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I cant answer that, because I dont use my clicker that much.

11. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you're using a baitcaster and using the clicker with the spool dis-engaged a flathead will spit the bait most of the time when using a clicker and they may come back to it but most of the time they'll hit and pull theclicker then feel/hear the clicker and spit the baits or that's been my experience with using clickers and that's why I always preferred spinning reels when fishing for flathead and I'll put a rubber band on the rod and then clip the line under the rubber band if I was fishin current so that just the lightest tub of a flathead would pull the line from under the rubber band and the line would just feed off the spinning reel without them feeling any resistance from the reel and if I or my kids were missing them by trying to set he hook right away, which worked sometimes, if it didn't then I'd let them run until they stopped ... when they stop they'll position he bait to those stone like deals in the back of their mouths and use those stone like deals to scale the fish and when they stop that's what they're doing ... sometimes if you try to hit them when they stop you'll miss them as they've probably got the hook fouled and turned the point back into the bait ... I've seen baits come back that were balled up around the hook like someone took some doughbait and wadded up around a hook and sometimes flathead will do that ... it looks really weird when you get a bluegill back that they've done that to. totally disfigured and mashed up around the hook so when you set the hook it just pops that blob of baited hook right outta their mouth so sometimes it's best to use a big ole hook like a 10/0 kingkahle so that when they're wallowing the bait around then he hook is big enough that the point doesn't get fouled or covered by the bait. the big river hooks are also good for that but with either of these hooks when you wait until the flathead makes it's second run or move they've usually got the bait swallowed and you can hook them easily by waiting until they've stopped and let them set there until they start to move off again ... in slack water I never used the rubber band ... I'd use a free swimming rig where he bait would just swim around out there with a small hook in it leaving a scent trail in the water due to my scaling the bait before placing it on the hook and the flathead will track those baits down quicker than the ones that aren't scaled. sometimes you can hit hem as they're taking off with it after the first 10 yds of line come off the reel or there abouts ... if they stop I'll try to reel the line up until I feel the rod tip pulling down and then nail them if I'm not planning on keeping the fish I don't want to gut hook him but after they've moved off a good ways and start to slow down I'll let them load the rod by flipping the bail over and then set the hook ... if I'm missin them I'll wait sometimes a long time before setting the hook ... that's one of the reasons that I don't like messing with flathead any more is because they have different temperments from one night to the next ... sometimes it seems like they just grab hold of a bait in their teeth and carry it around just in the edge of their mouths and when they do this it seems like you just can't hook them ... other nights you may have a bunch of big channels messing with your bluegill ... you can usually tell when they're picking your baits up by them having about half the bait crushed and bruised up when you get the baits back ... other nights it's as easy as bluegillfishin ... you can catch 4 or more by hitting them when they first take off with the baits. it's different from one night to the next around here and in any flathead situation I never use the clickers ... if I'm fishing for them with baitcasters I'll set the primary spool tension tight enough so that when they hit they can pull off the line without backlashing the reel and when I seethem hit I'll pick up the rod pulling line off the reel real fast so that they feel as little from the reel as possible and then after they've moved off a good 10 ft to 10 yds when they start to slow down I know thy've probably positioned the bait back in thier mouths a ways and then I'll engage the spool and let them pull down on the rod tip and then nail um. if they're biting really aggresively I'll leave the reel engaged and let them set the hook on themselves.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not at all.
    Zero.
    Nowhere.

Just leave the reel engaged and they'll hook themselves solidly almost every time.

If you really feel the need to let them pick up the bait and move off with the clicker (and I advise against it), then the thing is to engage the reel right away and wait for the line to come tight and hit as soon as it does come tight.

I firmly believe that many fish missed on the strike while flathead fishing are NOT flatheads, but gar or channels, etc. instead. Even a small flathead has a big enough mouth to completely engulf a bait and that's what they do.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Walleyes are another fish that like to try to take your bait. I have seen some very nice walleyes caught while flathead fishin'.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    as soon as i get the rod in my hands i take the clicker off. then if they run ill hammerum. dont miss many that way useing a big hook n small (4-6in.) gills.

15. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I set the hook as soon as I'm sure its a hard run. Flats seen to start with a short run and then they will commit to taking the bait.Now thats my opinion but I have missed plenty of fish so it may not be the best way.

16. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks, Great Question

:boss: ​

17. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When it comes to flatties, Im usually fishing in the heaviest cover in that particular stretch of river. With that I find that letting them run to long will increase the chance of that fish getting into the brush or cover and getting hung up. Once the flat takes my line im locked on aimed to cross his eyes! I agree with Tiny, you must have minimum interference or that fish is going to spit the hook, so being very alert to movement and knowing when the fish is on or not is a key ingredient. Good Luck!

Tony

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I encorage everyone not to use the clickers. I think the clicker tension can lead to some spit baits. And, if they aggresively grab and go, you should hook-up either way.

I will get the hit, and let a fish move a foot or two with my bait, then slam 'em.

As was said earlier, if he's moving off with your bait, it ain't in his hands.

Letting a fish run could lead to snags, spit baits, deeply swallowed baits (I release all flats). Stay in control, and confidently set the hook once you're sure he's moving off with the bait.

Shawn

19. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i Use my clickers but i dont engage the free spool. I fish the same way for all fish. I dont hear my clickers unless the fish is pulling drag and if by some reason i dont see him hit and hear a clicker i know he is already hooked. I loosen the drag to where it is loose enough that the line dont break on the run but tight enough where the hook will set before he pulls the drag.

20. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Using Circle hooks and a clicker are at odds with each other. It is very aggravating cause if you hear the clicker scream you best not set that circle or it's gone. The circle hook is designed for you to leave it in the rod holder. If you just gotta take it out of the rod holder then use a different style hook. That's why I'm a gonna try some King Kales and some big river hooks.