How long do I wait for the fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mcwrestler, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always hear 15 to 30 minutes but that makes for some serious moving and hauling when you fish on the bank. The pond I am at is roughly 7 acres with plenty of 30+ cats, some into 40's and 50's. I plan to put in a solid 6-12 hours today since I finshed my big paper for the week. I figure with time and deligence I can re-hook into a fish like the one I lost in the netting incident last week. I will be going around 1 pm and staying untill possibly 1 am, with a lunch in between. In the midday what would be the best aproach, and how often should I move around. My equipment includes: 6 foot cast net, 2 8-foot rods, 2 7-foot rods, tackle box, bait basket, and other stuff. So moving around is not super easy, but I just want to catch fish. There is an incoming creek so I figured I may give it a shot. Any advice on planning, baits or rigs to try. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well everyone has thier own ideas and theroys on moving around. When I bank fish I dont move for at least 2 or 3 hours and that is only if I do not get any bites. on my boat I move about every 30 minutes to 1 hour.

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    on my boat i move about every 30 minutes.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I am bank fishing I dont move much, it's to much work packing everything up..I usually stay in the same spot for the duration of the trip.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Can you set up wher the creek comes in? IF theres structure with deep water close , you might not have to move far.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I normally sit for long periods of time, at least 3-4 hours. Flatheads move around a lot and if there are some in the general area they will find your bait eventually.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Brad: you need to fix up a wagon or a hand truck with big wheels, strap everything to it and mount some pole holders. makes moving go smoother

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    In my boat, 15-20 min. max. If there is a current, I'll drift fish. Bank fishing, 30 min. Too many times I have told myself, give it another 10 min. and it turns out to be wasted time. So I move around. I just prefer to move around rather than wait on the fish to find me, or not. Which usually is the case.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    yeah i'd say get some sort of cart/basket to hold the gear... also are we talking 30+ lbs?inche? cm? grams?... im assuming lbs but i could be wrong... just seems off to have 30 lb cats coming from a 7 acre pond.. though im sure not impossible...

For waiting i'd say since your on shore an hr w/o a bite... then move 100 yards down the shore... It works really well if you have good rod holders cause you can just leave the rods in the rod holders while you make the trips w/ the gear if you don't have a cart...

10. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I would stay in a spot that looks productive and try casting in many different areas in the same general spot. In close out far and to the sides in close and out far. I like to chum corn and get some carp roming in the area then catch a few for bait either chunk from a big one or whole little one. I think the key is to asses the area pick a spot with oportinity like structure or a point. My favorite is a spot like a point on a bay with deep and shallow areas which I can fish the transition water as the fish rome from deep to shallow as the days temperatures change.

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We are talking 30lbs 42 inches, or at least the one I banked was. Others are larger. The pond is stocked once a year by the city, but people drop catfish in from the local dams. I weighed a fish for a man last year that weighed 48.6. People swear bigger ones are in their. It is heavily pressured, although only a few go after the big ones.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Brad I don't think I saw you post what you were using for bait when you lost the 30lber, but if you use natural baits the fish were eating before they were transplanted you might hook up more. I'm talking "fish" here either live or cut. If most of the pressure of other fishermen is coming from liver and worms and punch-bait and the like you'll stand a better chance throwing a big fish bait. Fish deeper during the day and shallower at night. If your lake has a weed line put a live bait on the outside edge and one on the inside edge. The main thing is find a spot where you can reach both deep and shallow then give it a few hours.

13. kdawgg222

kdawgg222 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I agree moving around is difficult with a big load. I usually stay in one spot for pretty much all day. Afraid if I move I will miss the one I've been waiting for. I will cast in different directions though but stay primarely where all the tackle is. Good luck.

14. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I always have fishermans luck. The spot I just left someone will catch a big one.

Jim

15. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My big fish are hooked on shad fillets and or heads. The big flattie was actually on a 6-7inch live bluegill. Shad do live in the pond and it takes a cast net to catch them, and they are spread out. It seems odd to have fish that big in there. Cut bait catches the big ones, but bread catches channels of all sizes. If i can get a picture scanned in I can post a pic of the pond. It sits in front of my old Elementary school.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Some times the bite just turns off and on. Moving will keep you busy at that pond but MAY NOT change a thing.

Like posted above, different baits and I would suggest different methods may help you out on that pond.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am a boat fisherman and I move after 30 minutes if nothing is biting. If they are biting, I will ride it out 20-30 minutes after the last fish.

18. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I primarily drift, but when I anchor I find myself moving too quickly. Maybe because I'm used to moving, or since I'm in a boat I guess I think I should move around till I find them. 30 minutes seems like a long time but looks like a lot of you successful catters hold to that.

That's one thing to do this year is have more patience.

Scott

19. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like the wagon idea, get you a big Radio Flyer.lol