How long do catfish spawn?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kycatman01, Jun 11, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Does anyone know how long catfish spawn? i would greatly appreciate the info!!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Usually around the time they get done, LOL!!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

Here in this area they should be done in about 2 weeks, Hope this helps!!!

What part of KY are you from???

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hello! i am from salt lick(bath county). it is near cave run lake. thanks alot for the info and do you know if the cats are spawning yet. i went to the ky river yesterday and caught 3 small flatheads. i was fishing near a dam and i have always heard that you can catch some near a rocky dam even when they are spawning.

4. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    m8 depends on water temperatures, a fall in temp should put a stop to it where as a slight increase will increase the lenght of their bedroom olympics.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Normally a couple of weeks from what I have read.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    but keep in mind that a whole river doesnt neccessarily spawn at once. if the fish are spawning in one place they might not be a mile or two downstream

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    The spawn usually lasts from one full moon to the next once the water temps are 70 to 75.(not surface temp) All of the fish do not spawn at the same time but most of the activity will occur between the moon phases. After spawning the fish go on a feeding binge making post spawn on of the best times of the year for big fish. You'll find the males scarred up from battle and the females much leaner than usual. See ya on the water!

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    good hopefully there done when i go back to oceola weekend after next

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Right on the money and some times it could be up to 5-6 weeks for it to get over with depends on water temps cause it can stop them too and then bring them back.

Anytime when it slows way down like now you can count on a good month of slow fishing. When is the next full moon..lmao :cool2:

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Full moon was something like oh... tonight? I know it was very full Friday night, but not quite there.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree with 4 ot 5 weeks or full moon to full moon the last good day of fishing i had was the last full moon now we have another full moon and i think things are going to start happening now i will be on the water before this weekend

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Most recent full moon was Jun 11 - next one is July 11.

Better find something else to do for a few weeks...

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I may be misunderstanding, but I think they are saying that the spawn started May 11ish and would be finishing this full moon (Jun 11).

I'll keep hoping, especially when the fishing did pick up for me this weekend on the 10th.