How long did it take?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigkane, Sep 15, 2009.

How long before you caught at least a 20lb flattie?

1. 1 month or less.

2. Within 3 months.

3. A year or longer.

4. Still haven't caught a flattie.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Most of you guys have been fishing a while so it may be hard to remember. But how long did it take before you caught your first flathead worth writing home about, let's say 20lb minimum. I just started fishin' again and haven't caught anything to say I have a PB. So my vote is still haven't caught one.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I went about 2 years by bank, and another year by boat without catching a flat much over 5 pounds, then shattered that with a 63 pounder. Now I've spent the last 4 years trying to beat that. That's what I get for setting my goals too high too early!

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From the time I started fishing for flatheads.....it took me "years" to land one over 20 lbs.:embarassed:

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    About a week for a 60+ followed by a year and a half dry spell!

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It was prolly on the order of a year, but I only fished a couple of times the first year.

The thing is, nothing breed success like success. Once you get a couple of fish, then you'll have ore confidence and with that confidence will come more determination ...

6. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    with the help of this great site, and some of the great anglers from the PA section (tan, lendog, Northport troller and others)

It took only two tries, thanks guys.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have caught flatheads most of my life, but only started targeting them seriously about 2002. After that it was just over a year when I started catching them over 20 lbs.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Caught my first flatty after just a week or so of trying for them. Still have not broken the 20 lb mark. Yet.

9. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    When I decided I wanted to get into some of the big flat action,I joined BOC & studied for 1 month.First time out(on the river I fished my whole life)1st cast 16 1/2# 2nd cast 3 1/2 # 3rd cast 25-3# 4th cast 24-11#(my avatar)First time targeting flathead.I swear BOC takes at least 1 1/2 years off of the learning curve.(I did get skunked next 2 times out!!)Trying for a 30# before water temps drop much farther.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    My first flathead was in 1999 it was a 22 pounder caught on chicken liver of all baits . I was just messing with catching some bullhead for a small pond I put in the yard .

11. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive been seriously catfishing for the last two year,, I get blues 98% of the time but on a good morning this spring I got two back to back on cut bait, first was 20lb's the second was 31lb's thoses are the only blues ive caught that had any size and only managed two other small ones in that whole time......:wink:
    Puddle

12. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I guess I was lucky I caught a 23 lber when I was 8 on a cane stuck in the bank of the creek he pulled it in the water and I had to swim to get to it Got it back and tied it to a tree and went and got some help to get it in Been catchin some good ones ever since

13. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have yet to get a 20+ pounder.closest ive gotten is 15#

14. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've only been catfishing hard for 2 years but i've been fortunate to land dozens over 20 lbs. We only have flathead where i am and i wouldn't have it any other way. I will say that the only reason i have been so fortunate is because of this site. I didn't mess around when i started and immediately spent hours reading posts on this site and that definitely made the learning curve almost nonexistent. Thanks guys.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Been flattin seiously for a little over 35 years.I got lucky and got into a few over 20 before I started actually targeting them.Rivers where I grew up in Pittsburgh only had carp,channels and flats when I was a kid.1st big one I caught was on a crawler going after carp in the spring.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy,My PB flattie is 16........... INCHES:wink: I don't hunt for "TROPHY FISH" Rather I take what the water gives me. Been cattin for 40 yrs.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got lucky and got my first over 20 (27 lb) on literally my first trip trying for flatheads. It was early in the afternoon around 530 I think when I hooked and landed the fish. I was so excited that I left to get pics and weight. I never expected to catch one that early in the afternoon let alone on my first trip with my first actual cattin rig.

My cousin got lucky on his first flattie too. myself, my dad and my cousin were gonna do a all nighter. He had no rigs, so I let him use 2 of my extra ones. He hooked into a fish and the fight was on. I could tell from the looks of it it was nice. He was scared to death he was gonna break the line or my rod and asked several times for me to take it so he didn't break something. I made sure the drag was set as he held on, and told him he was fine just to take his time. As he brought the fish in, I was standing at the water's edge waitin to grab the fish. I about crap when I saw it, but kept quiet till I had my hand in it's mouth. he asked if it was nice, I just turned around and lifted the fish and he lost it. Was a 38 lber for his first ever flattie.

18. catfishhunter09

catfishhunter09 New Member

State:
    kansas
    close to a 20 but not quite i was pretty pleased with the 17.5 lb flatty i caught :smile2: but still fighting for the day to pull out a 20 or even a 40:cool2:

19. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I got some issues keeping me from getting my first real flattie (when Im trying to catch them) the number one for me is that its not legal to fish just about anywhere on the bank on my side of the susky river... as soon as I start targeting them ITS ON im working on getting the money for a boat

20. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Right now I'd be tickled with a 5lb catfish of any kind. Thanks to the BOC and friends I met on here I've learned a ton since I started and think it's just a matter of time and patience till I catch a good 'un.