How long can catfish be in the freezer?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, May 22, 2008.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am getting ready to leave for 4 months and was just wondering if the catfish meat I have will still be good when I return. I have it frozen in water. Would there be a better way to freeze it?

2. joerush

joerush New Member

State:
    AR
    I freeze all my catfish in water and they stay good for months. Freezing in water seem to keep them from freezing burn.

joerush

3. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I ate some the other day that were a year old. They were great. I have always froze filets in water and yes, it does stop freezer burn.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I have started using the vacuum pack food bags with great success. They seem to work as well as the ol' tried-and-true ice-block storage method, but cut the defrost time way down!

I also find that I can portion the fish into individual servings, which is great. I also save a whole lot of space in the freezer!

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It should be good long as you put water in them I know we have some catfish and stuff that we have had, I put some fish in the bags with water kept them in the freezer close to a year, and it was still good.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if you freeze the catfish the regular way 6 months top rick

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    FOODSAVER SAID TWO YEARS IN THERE VACCUM BAG'S AND THAT IS ALL WE HAVE USED IN THE PAST FOUR YEARS AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEM'S:big_smile: WITH THEM

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Here's a twist - and no, I'm not accusing anyone of doing anything wrong...

Consider: If you've got fish that's been in your freezer 6 months, a year, 2 years, whatever, you might want to re-think why and how you harvest fish.

Either you've put just a little bit of fish in storage and you're not a big fish-eating family, or you love to eat fish but you've put more fish in storage than you can reasonably eat.

And the odds are good that fish you've had in storage that long are eventually going to get tossed in the trash, wasted and uneaten -- it'll either get freezer burn, or the power will go out and it'll thaw unexpectedly or you'll just decide that it might not be safe to eat it after that long. No matter how it happens, when it goes in the trash, it's wasted -- you might as well have just tossed that fish up on the bank when you caught it, the end result is the same

So instead, might I suggest that you consider keeping only the fish you intend to eat right away and leave the rest for another day. That makes for better conservation all the way around - no wasted fish, no excessive harvest, and if you choose to keep the "right" fish (usually several smaller ones rather than 1 or 2 large fish), you'll promote a healthier fishery with more trophy-size fish for yourself and others to catch in the years to come.

Something to think about.

9. roostermandave

roostermandave New Member

State:
    Cypress Bayou, ARKANSAS
    my rule of thumb is meat in the frezzer if it aint eating after 1 year i ither donate it if its not freezer burned which i dont happen to me cause i put all my meat and fish in water.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that got turned into a cpr thread real quick!!!

11. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to freeze all my fish in water and had no trouble keeping fish for a year or more, Then I got a vacuum sealer for X-mas and just last week I found a package of catfish filets that were vacuum sealed and dated Oct. of 2005. I cooked these fish and you couldn`t tell I didn`t catch these last week. This package of fish were just missplaced in the freezer because I don`t normally let them get a year old.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    your fish will be fine for 4 months, i am sure of it.

hey, here's something to think about- maybe we buy freezers to have a wide array of different foods at our convenience, without having to leave the house. 'what do you want for dinner tonight? steak? shrimp? catfish?" i think i'll have the catfish. i shoot up to 6 deer a year. should i only eat deer or turkey during their respective hunting seasons? i stop hunting deer in december, and i never make it to september with deer meat in the freezer. i do agree with the only take what you can use part.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    No, it's got nothing to do with CPR.

It has everything to do with being a responsible sportsman and taking only what you can eat. If you waste it, you shouldn't have killed it.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    it's in the freezer, it hasn't been wasted. He said he was going to be gone for a while & wondered how long it would be good. Not everyone eats their catch fresh outta the water like most of us, now he knows that it will be good for quite some time, and that's the answer he was looking for! There are alot of people on here that freeze their catch for a later time to eat, go back through the posts and you'll find them. If you fish for sport good for you, some fish for a good time & to put some away for later in case they can't get out as much as they are used to, therefore they will have it! jmo,