How long before you pick up them Jug's

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by brandon, Feb 9, 2006.

1. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    last summer I lost a jug and never recovered it. Nobody called or sent it. I continually fished around a couple of jugs for over two week period that obviously someone abandoned or lost. My question is how long would you wait before you picked up those jugs. The paticular jug in question had no visible name. I never picked it up because it wasn't mine however it sure bothered me that it was just left. What would you have done

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I would've took them. They weren't marked so no one can prove that they were theirs. If they weren't being checked every 24hrs then I would say they were abandoned.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I would call the DNR

It is not your place to mess with someone elses Jug, even if it is abandoned.

4. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah you did good by just leaving them there. Even if they are abandoned you never know. I've set up some trot lines, and I hate when people cut them or take your fish and bait off them.

5. lakerat

lakerat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    In this area most people will lay out around 50-200 jugs at one time. If I saw one that was out of place with no other jugs around I would pull it to keep the river or lake clean and not give jugging a bad name. However most times if a jug is alone and not hung up in a tree or shallow water it is a trot-line marker. If you are not 100% sure it isn't a trot-line it is best to avoid it.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In Oklahoma, Jugs are limited to 20 per person. On a river or a lake, it is very easy for the jugs to become very spread out. Especially if a fish is on one.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I paint my jugs yellow for better visibility, so that's a clue that they aren't trotline floats. Also, Arkansas regs require that the owner's name or license number be marked on the outside of each jug. It's not unusual for me to lose a jug or two. Back when I jugged a certain section of the Arkansas River several times a week, I'd often find a jug hung up in swift water, completely out of sight, but making a ripple on the water. Unless I happened to be right on top of the jug, I couldn't see it. When I'm camping overnight at the nuclear plant, I generally leave my jugs out overnight, and I generally come up missing a jug or two in the morning. Sometimes I can find them way out in the lake, but they're usually gone for good. I don't know if night fishermen are picking them up, or fish are taking them.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I believe pretty much in all cases to leave the jug alone. Anyone who jug fishes on a regular basis will lose jugs from time to time. I hate losing jugs because I don't want to leave my jugs left as trash especially if there a fish still on the jug. I have been known to find jugs of mine over a month later on my lake or river. This doesn't happen that often but it's nice to find a lost jug. Now there has been times I've seen someone else's lost jug for over a 3 to 6 month period of time in the same place and I have picked it up and dispose of it properly. There's a good chance that the person who lost that jug will return to find it again. There's also a good chance that he won't but I'll give a person a long window before I pick up a lost jug. Also as someone mentioned, lots of times there are a marker for a trotline.

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I pulled up to a jug last year behind a cut in a dike and I was going to pick it up since there were no other jugs near. As I approached, the jug went under. I knew there was a fish on it and I told the guy with me to get the net and get ready. As we got closer, I noticed that the jug didn't move very far. It would submerge and then come back up but always in the same general area. When we got right up to it, we realized it was a trotline marker. We dropped the jug and backed off. I can respect another man's trotlines. At the same time, I will pick up abandoned jugs when I see them.

I have lost jugs nearly every time I have jug fished. When I make a float, it is usually along a bar that stretches a mile or two. The jugs get pretty stretched out and it's nearly impossible to keep an eye on all of 'em. Some just don't make it home. I've never had anyone mail me one or call and report it and I have every jug labeled with full name, address, and phone number (per state law). I just take it as an expense of jug fishin.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I know a jug is abandoned, I'll pick it up. If it is obvious that the jug is stationary, I'll leave it alone. Just because you don't see someone running the jug doesn't mean that they aren't. If you sit on the jug for 24 or more hours, you don't see anyone run it, and you just wanna, then I guess you could take some action. Exactly WHAT action, I don't know. If no one is running them, who or what do you report? And is that what you want the game wardens spending their time on?

10. dickieboy

dickieboy New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove, TN
    As you said they were 'obviously' abandoned I would have picked them up. It is easy to tell if they are fresh or have been in the water awhile. The way I see it abandoned jugs are litter. Not a 'punishable offense' just something that happens when you jug fish.

I jug fish ALOT! Many times in swift water and as Jtrew said sometimes they get hung up and go down. I know Shilohred (he told me) has a few of my jugs as he gets on the same stretch of water and once the water has slowed or gone down they re-appear. Maybe one day I will get them back but more importantly I am truely grateful that he is picking them up. I make every effort to not lose them and go thru great pains to track them all down but losing one or two just happens. I don't like the idea that I am in fact littering myself and hope a responcible outdoorsman will pick them up and either fish them or dispose of properly. Like Joe said we fishermen don't need any bad press.

JMHO

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Here in Indiana we can use no more than five jugs per person and they have to be marked w/ name and address. We also have to have constant visual contact with them. Thats why I would pick them up if they aren't marked and no one has checked them after a period of time. It's trash to me. If they were used as a trot line marker, I would probably leave them alone. But they are supposed to be checked every 24hrs.

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    In Mo they have to be marked with name & address and in sight of the owner at all times. If left out of sight it must have at least a 2# anchor and must be checked at least once every 24 hrs.

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Brandon,

Since you live in Oklahoma, and not in another state I would suggest to follow the state regs. Which states "it is unlawful to tamper with the trotline, throwline, jugline or limbline of another person without the permission from that person." Now nobody wants to see there lake or river full of abandoned juglines but I really wouldn't mess with it unless like I said in a previous post you have see that jug there for several months. A lost jug is different than a abandoned jug and that person might be out in a week or the next day running jugs again and find his jug. I know that there are times I know that people have run my jugs at night and take them from time to time. I wouldn't want to come up to someone in my boat to see my jugs laying in their boat. I would be hard to explain that you thought is was abandoned and not stealing. In Oklahoma jugs can be left unattended and it's best to leave them in just about every case that way.