How long are your lines?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by lswoody, May 10, 2009.

1. lswoody

lswoody Member

State:
    Alabama
    From now until the end of September what are the lengths of your lines on your jugs for nite and day fishing???? Thanks!!!! Scott Woody

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I usually fish the flats off the river so I have lines @ 3,4,&5 foot. I usually catch fish on all lengths on any given night.

3. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Mine are 4-8 feet. I fish Lake Ouachita and this serves me well. I do not leave my jugs unattended as there is a lot of standing timber so Once a fish is hooked I move to get them off pretty quick.
    I did make up about 6 that has 11' of line with hooks at 4,7, and 10 feet. These I put a 1" nut on the bottom which is just enough weigh to hold the jug in place until a fish is hooked.. I use these on the edges of the channels where the water comes up shallow and points. I haven't tried this yet but hope ip will catch some bigger fish by holding the jug in
    a prime spot.

4. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    welcome to the boc scott, best bunch of people on the web and water.

5. lswoody

lswoody Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks guys!!!!!

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    All my jugs have 70' of line on them. Most of the time I fish them weighted on the bottom. If the fish are suspended I just roll the line up to the depth I need and use a 1 oz bank sinker to hold the bait down. My first hook is 4' from the weight and the second hook is 4' above that. In water that is 25' or less I always put the weight on the bottom. About 90% of the time I use live bait (perch or bullheads). Blue and flatheads will move up of down to take the bait. I use this method day or night.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Scott! I like my lines to be as long as possible without hanging up too often; hooks are spaced 3' apart to cover the entire water column. I once tried some 12' long lines in 60'-80' of water, and caught very little until I added about 30'-40' of line to each jug. Catching picked up a lot after that.

8. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    mine all are over ten with some as far as 25 but i fish water all over 30 ft deep sometimes deep as 80-90

9. Bruski

Bruski New Member

State:
    GA
    I'm usually fishing on a 30 ft channel but I only use about 2 ft of line! I cleaned 39 cats today that were caught on 60 jugs Fri night.

10. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mine rest on the bottom and I have 20' of line on them I'm in the process of making more that have alot longer line tho. Right now I place them on the edges of channels but I wonder if I would have better luck fishing in the bottom of the channel?