How long a charge with this charger and battery?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KYTRAPPER, Jul 21, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have a 75amp hour 100/reserve deep cycle battery and a 10v solid state 6v/12/v charger. It also has a gauge showing the ammount of amps being drawn during charge. How long do you think? I guess at full charge the gauge will show drawing 0 amps?? Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It depends on how many amps your charger is putting out.

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Its a 10amp charger...In the my first post I mistakenly wrote "10v" when I should have said 10amp @ 12.6v's

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Phillip I don't think it would hurt to leave the charger hooked up for 24hr.I have a charger that has three settings,2amp,10 amp and 50 amp boost and I've had it hooked up for 24 + hours on the 2amp and 10 amp both with no problems and as a matter of fact I have forgot and left it on the 2amp setting for 4 days and it didn't hurt the battery.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me personally, I'd toss the charger in the garbage can and go buy an automatic one in the 2-4 amp range. I have ruined my fair share of marine batteries when I used to always charge at 10-15 amps. Sure you can get out the door quicker but it shortens the life of the batteries. I use an onboard charger that is 4 amps per bank but I would have bought a 2 amp model if it had been available.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can charge with the 10 amp up to 24 but it will charge a deep cycle to fast and it won't last as long. 2 am you can leave on for 3 to 4 days without harm I have been known to use a timmer with my charger pluged into it to shut it off as my memory ain't what it use to be.

I use a float charger now and leave it hooked up at all times when on dry dock. I use a marine onboard charger but on my toon I use a float charger that I bought from wally world and when we back the toon in the yard I keep a hook up right there and on it goes at once.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with Willard. I have a marine onboard charger.
    Mine has been plugged in for most of 3 years. Once it was disconnected for 2 months in the winter, the GFI had tripped. After resetting the GFI, still showed no charge needed. But the only draw would have been from the GPS antenna and that is only milliamps.

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Cant use an onboard charger and this one is all I have:tounge_out: I usually watch it pretty close and take off the battery when it stops drawing. We have used it for years but I never really timed it or new a recommended time.