How lazy are we?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by beetle, Jul 27, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been seeing this ad on TV telling kids to get up, go outside and play an hour a day. WOW! When I was a kid growing up no one had to remind me to go outside and play...and some wonder why this country is in the crap shape it's in! What's next, don't forget to breath?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    These days, technology is so involved in childrens activities. You have video games, television, computers, cell phones and etc. Back when I was a child, my friends and I, invented games to play. That was outdoor games. Not stuck inside, even in the winter time. We definently as parents need to get children more involved in outdoor activities, such as Fishing, Hunting, Camping and the such.

Take a child fishing or hunting and put a smile on their face. Get them out of the house.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man ,I know your right on the money. My daughter will go out ,till it hits about 80*,Shoot back when I was that age ,My folks had to make me come in an rest in the heat of the day.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

i have a really good answer for that question, but it would require too much typing to tell you:smile2:

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I was almost too lazy to click through.... send me a check will ya? lol!

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the things most kids play today have a dial on it to tone it down so parents let them play inside where they can keep an eye on them.before that the games we play were rowdy as heck so our parents kicked us outside.besides with the monsters we have roming out streets and backroads i wouldnt let my kids out of my site unless it was on the river and i was within shouting distance.

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kids today arent interested in the same things we were while we were growing up. Dont believe me go to a busy fishing spot, and look for kids. When I was growing up I lived to fish and hunt. Todays kids are more interested in electronic gear. Pity, I took the neighbors kid, down to my favorite fishing hole, and we were catching the fish, about an hour later he was ready for home? You would have had to drag me screaming and fighting from that hole when I was his age.....

8. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I'm lucky.:eek:oooh: Can't get my kid to come home!
    But we still live in a fairly safe community with lots of kids in the neighborhood his age. They wait till 9pm to play tag in the dark. Then I'm luck to get him to come home by 1030. He will stay inside during the heat of the day (at the neighbors) and play video games when he's not at the pool.

I did hear something about the inner cities bussing kids out into the country just to get some fresh air.:crazy:

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    american kids are getting very soft. in the smaller towns and out in the country you still see some kids outside, but to many parents have a lot of book smarts, but lack any common sense and are passing it on to the kids. i am 54 and play outside more than most kids.

10. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Now I have one boy I cant keep in the house and one that won't leave unless I drag him out. But thats because of video games and the computers and such. If we want them to go out limit CP and video time. But believe me its easier said than done when both parents work or your a single parent

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I can remember being punished by not being able to go outside.:crazy:

12. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    That was what my mom would do. I try to take at least an hour a day and go out with my kids. We used to go for a lot of rides in the country looking for deer, turkey, whatever. Gas prices have hindered that but any thing to get the kids outside and enjoying nature is worth it.

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    With the way the country is these days with drugs, kidnappings, gangs, and such, a parent has to be really concerned if their child is staying out at all hours and wonder what they are into.

Back when I was a kid I stayed out all day until dark. Kids got into trouble back then but nothing like they do now.

Even tho kids are soft these days you could almost appreciate the video games and such keeping the kids off the streets and out of real trouble.

Of course this isn't the case in the country as much as it is in bigger towns and cities but, it's getting worse and worse in the smaller towns too.

A lot of that blame I put on our government. With inflation the way it has gone and couples having to have two three even four jobs at times to make ends meet, the kids are left to themselves and to wonder the streets and get into trouble. Back in the fifties a man could make a good living at almost anything and the wife could stay home and not have to work and look after the kids. These days a lot of kids are mostly raising themselves and that just isn't good no matter where you live. I know that some kids are really trustworthy and responsible and won't get into trouble but that is just not the norm these days.

I guess that is why we older generations like to talk about the good ole' days.

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    When I was young my mom would get so mad because my brother and I wouldn't come in for dinner, nowadays it seems that parents have to beg their kids to go outside. But, I didn't have a X-box, laptop, Mp3 player, or a cell phone texting at all hours of the day either. :crazy:

15. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think one of the stupidest commercials I saw was in Alaska. It showed many young female faces then transitioned to babies in cribs. A voice over was saying things like:

Feed Me

Love Me

Talk to Me

I will never forgot the tax dollars that made that commercial... :smile2:

16. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kids today are faced with alot more problems than what we faced. When I was growing up, you had a problem with someone you just had it out, today kids get shot. Drugs werent a that big of a problem when I was growing up, but now, my home town paper, that is all you read about.

I know that to make it in todays world both parents have to work, but still yet it is on the parent to make sure they spend time with their kids and teach them right from wrong. I dont think this is happening in todays world. I have a neice who I am raising, and her parents taught her nothing. Now at 15, I am having to start from scratch, it is rough on her and us, she has been living with us for a year, I think my 5 year old daughter has more common sense. Today, it seems like parents have the attitude of let the community raise the kid, dump them off at Mall's, stores, movie theaters and someone will take care of them.

When I was growing up we did things as a family. Fishing, trips, dinner, movies, holidays, now people have no time for these things.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a 16 year old step son who wont step outside suring summer vacation from school...wont fish, wont paly sports nothing, just lays on the couch till school starts...this has been going on forever.

18. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I can remember going out and playing war games with friends and stuff.My oldest she won't get up before noon except from now on she has band camp till school starts.The other to are not as bad but still they will not go outside unless a friend calls.
    I used to ride my bike for miles at a time and now I am scared to let mine ride theirs on the road with all the idiots driving.I have to play chicken to get the mail sometimes and I live on a country road.I love it when some flies by and they have their window down.They get an earful from me.

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well you have hit the nail on the head. It is our responsibility to "encourage" our children to play outside. If we do not take away the technology, then we are just as at fault. I can tell you now, my kids will never OWN a video game (I never have), if they want to play, they can do it at their friends home............................since we will be way out in the country, then that will limit their use.

I am a bit hardheaded and old fashioned on this matter, but I know it is the right thing and it will improve their quality of life

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

Oh it's the right thing to do..we took the computer, tv, and video games away from my stepson...did not matter..he will look you right in the eye and say I aint going outside, I aint doing nothing..so he lays on the couch or in bed all summer...last year I drug him outside, cost me 300 bucks for a bondsman becuase they said I was not allowed to touch a minor...all charges were droped but still cost me 300 bucks.