How late in the season can you catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kryton, Sep 27, 2006.

1. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    how late in the season can u cat fish

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    does it ever end lol i fish year round rain nor sleet nor gloom of day shall keep me from my goal . im in kentucky it gets cold here but still fish , iv had ice hanging from my rod eyes and still caught cats

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There is no season its year round for catfish

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    channels will bite all winter long in the deep trash filled holes. flatheads get real scarce after the water gets down to 50*.

5. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    as late as you want to i geuss

6. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    well guess ill break out my winter gear now and get back to it thanks to all:big_smile:

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jay, one feb. I was so catfish deprived I smashed a 4ft hole through the ice on dads pond with cement blocks and caught 5 channels in half an hour on nightcralwers all were 2 or 3 lbs. I also catch channels under lowhead dams in the winter. Ellis on the Muskingum is my favorite, put some cut shad on and they go nuts. I've caught them there every month of the year. I've caught flatheads during the day as late as oct. 30 using cut bait. too cold to night fish for me. By that time of year they are in their wintering holes so if you catch one there are more in there. They just don't feed all the time and only need smaller portions.

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I fish as long as there is open water .

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    From what I've seen on the Ohio River for Flatheads is over 55 ok, better still over 58 for a water temp.

I fished two times @ 54 degrees with cut bait and got lots of bite. The problem was the bites were so lite that I could not hook any.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My boat seldom sits unused for more than 2-3 weeks. I fish for something year-round. I love winter catfishing because there aren't nearly as many people on the water, and lots of blues can be caught then. Spring brings the pre-spawn shallow water feeding binge, then the post-spawn as the weather starts to warm, moving them back a little deeper. During the summer, drifting the channels and humps, then deep water fishing in the fall as the bait moves deep. Something going on here all the time. And in between, I do as much inshore saltwater fishing as I can work in, especially this time of year through late november.

11. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jay,

If you ever see a couple of nuts fishing the ohio river when it's -10, odds are one of em is me.

If the water isn't frozen solid, we are usually fishing somewhere for something.

The cats dont hit like they do when its warm, but they are still there and biting.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yup I fish right up till Ice-in and then I'll get out the auger!!! I luv them fishies!

13. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to go whenever I can. I used to hunt a lot but with I can find a lot more fishing places that I don't have to worry about leasing.

14. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    They tell me blues eat all winter long, because they dont hold the body fat that the flats do. good fishing and good luck.:cool2:

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    As far as I'm concern - "It don't stop" - so it never ends for me. :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I fish as long as there is open water, I aint doing any ice fishing.

17. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    right into the begining of winter or when it gets to the below zero.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio the flats are usually done by early november, but you can catch channels all year.

19. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I take my Brass Monkey with me. He lets me know when it's time to go home.:lol: :lol:

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As a side note, during late January through March you can catch a boat full of crappie. They are in schools. You catch one that is 1/2 pound, everything in that school is 1/2 pound. You catch one that is two pounds, everything in the school is two pounds. Tie a baloon on a long line on the first one you catch and let it go. Wherever the baloon goes, you fish...You'll soon get tired of them.