How Is The Fishing This Year In NC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Aug 12, 2008.

How Would You Describe Fishing This Year in NC?

1. Fishing is BETTER than normal

2. Fishing is WORSE than normal

3. Fishing is the SAME as normal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am curious as to how the fishing is for everyone this year. After a record drought last year I was wondering if anyone has noticed any changes this year in NC?

2. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I'm seeing so many of these polls that are state-specific. I wish there were more polls that could be applied to ANY area of the country.

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    you can start your own poll dixie. just start a thread and click poll at the bottom of page.
    I havnt fished Badin but 1 1/2 yr so cant really say on poll. Winter and spring was decent but it fell for the summer.

4. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I think fishing is not as good as it has been the last few years.

5. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    low water always helps, puts the fish where you can get to them, catfish are like a deer , take the easiest way possible and when the water is low that means right in the middle of the channels, not scattered all over the place, that is why we caught so many big catfish at santee this past year

6. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I know very well that I can start my own poll but I don't start ones that are state specific. There's nothing wrong with having state-specific polls...unless you don't live in that state. What I am saying is that there should be a way to put these state-specific polls in the state forums without it showing up on the home page.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...What I am saying is that there should be a way to put these state-specific polls in the state forums without it showing up on the home page..."

They only show up there for a short period of time until they are replaced by a newer post.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Doesn't it show up on the North Carolina section in info by state??it will be on the main board when there is a new post to that section as well as any other section anyone posts a new post to, that's why they show up on new posts, which is where most people look first....jmo

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Personally I think that the fishing in my particular lake and rivers as well has been better than it ever has since I've been fishing them (not that long so I may be way off). We've already caught 8-10 flatheads bigger than any we caught last year with the exception of 1. We got a bunch of nice blues in the 20lb range this spring with one monster thrown in. We did waaaay better than last spring. However, some of this could be due to us just getting better at fishing these areas. We have gotten much better and are using much better equipment and techniques so that may have more to do with it than anything but the fishing so far has been phenomenal. However, the bass fishing has sucked big time compared to last year, at least for big fish. I had already caught a bunch over 5 and to date I've only gotten 1 fish that was even close to that this year. Maybe I've gotten worse:smile2:

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Tar/Pamlico and Neuse rivers have been way off this year so far. I don't know if it is overfishing or climate...

11. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hate the low water that we are having, but for the most part there is no real difference to the quality of fish that we are catching. Tactics are a little different with the low water, but the fish are doing fine here in the Neuse.

12. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Drought last year heck we're still in a drought. Part of the stat has been getting rain but if you look at the long range average than we're still down even in most of those areas. If you look at ground waters....we're way down.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    fishing this year has been pretty good. We have been catching a lot of fish. The only thing I have really noticed is not as many big fish as last year. Either we haven't found them yet or the drought is throwing them off. haven't seen any fish kills so they are around somewhere. We haven't put a 50+ in the boat this year but I have a good feeling we are due.

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Fishing here in NC is excellent (for us) this year. Fish populations seem to go up and down in cycles. That may be why we need slot limits, to protect the year classes of fish where there's a shortage. Many different things contribute to these ups and downs, fishing pressure, cold winters, rising or falling water during spawn, etc........

Fish are easier to catch when they're shallow. They only move shallow when weather and water conditions are stable enough to allow them to make these instinctive movements toward shallower water. When you have water rising, falling, cooling or warming too fast, or there's a lot of light overhead, they may not move, or then again they may, 'cause it's totally up to them when and how they do it. If fish were as easy to catch as the buffaloe were, well, wouldn't be any left.

Anybody who thinks fishing is worse this year, in NC, than in the past, is either a single species fisherman or they're fishing in the same spot as in years past. I know a place where there was not a single channel catfish several years ago, but this year has several hundred of them. I put them there. You can rest assured that the channel cat fishing is better now, in that particular place, than it was last year.

15. yellowcat

yellowcat New Member

State:
    Hot springs, NC
    Having a hard time finding enough water to fish in on the French Broad. The water is very low. Makes for some tough fishing conditions, the fish just don't seem to be eating at least the big ones anyway.:sad2:

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I am kinda amazed so many people are finding it worse than normal. Fishing here has been good. I guess that is the nature of fishing!! Maybe whatever I am doing will not work when everyone else is catching them!

17. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you gotta hold your mouth right to catch a biggun, got to be the right lip curl with bacer juice running out both sides of your mouth otherwise you just playing:tounge_out::roll_eyes::smile2::big_smile:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Backer juice huh?

I guess I quit too soon!!! :smile2: