How important is your trolling motor ?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I would like to find out how important is your trolling motor to you ?

Reason im asking is because I just got a new boat and it has a 41lb trolling motor. Today i tried going upstream (On the Meramec) against the wind and got like no where. I am use to a jon boat with a 43lb thrust that moved good and would almost throw you out of the boat.

Im thinking of upgrading to a 24v system and 60lb. thrust. I do seem to use mine often jumping from hole to hole or moving around structure to check depths.

What are your oppinions ??

Thanks ,Manny

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I only use mine occassionally when throwing a cast net. The MAIN reason I have it is for emergency use on the river to get clear of the channel for instance if my main motor would fail. Thats a big comfort to have on the big rivers and in fact could save your life. I suggest a 70 lb thrust model, that seems to push my 20 foot Jon pretty good. If the budget is tight just buy the best you can afford. I consider it a safety item.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    very good point as for the safety item that is its a must as fare as im consernd

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think it is a must to have some sort of backup motor. Even if it won't move you against the current you should be able to get to a bank with one and get out of the way of a barge or something.

5. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i agree with what the other guys said.. i do use mine moving short distances etc... i have a 16' jon.. 65lb trolling motor.. it will move me up stream on the meremac... all be it slowly.. but if i needed to get back to the ramp.. slow is better than not at all. On the big river it will pretty much just hold me in place.. get the biggest you can afford.. realize the added expense/weight of the second battery when considering though. fyi I got mine as a refurb unit from cabelas.. pretty good deals

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't use mine often, but it's nice to have it for emergencies.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I run a 34lb transom mount on my smaller boat. It won't push me upstream on the Missouri River, but it will easily scoot me across and out of harms way. I was out with a buddy on his boat when his lower unit went out, and the float trip downstream to the ramp would have been near impossible in the crosswinds without a trolling motor to correct our course every couple of minutes.

Your current 41lb motor is probably adequate for emergencies, even with a powerful trolling motor it's not realistic to expect to go upstream very far. The real question is whether you want to spend the extra money for fishing purposes. One of the bow mount wireless remote control motors is awesome for cast netting bait or for controlled drifting if you can swing the cost .

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Like Gary said...... go wireless if you can swing it. I have been on boats with that tangled stiff mess of control cables and my wireless is pretty uncluttered and SWEET!

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Come on Skip...we love the tangled mess!!!!:eek:oooh::wink::tounge_out Where ya been i was wondering if ya went on a secret mission????:cool2:

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If my trolling motor was to stop working. I guess I would stay home. Its in the top 3 important things in the boat.
    But I use mine for controlled drift fishing. AS I do that guessing 90% of the time. And do not anchor fish much. Also if I were going with 24volt. I would go ahead and get a 70+ lb trolling motor. I would rather have way to much, then not enough like you have now.
    Pete

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I am on a secret mission....... I am rotting in OKC again. Just a short 3 weeker this time.

Been off the BOC for a while for other reasons.....needed a break from a few 'hostile parties'.:wink:

To correct my earlier post I have the 75lb thrust motor, not sure if that makes that much difference.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Pete on this one. I think a strong trolling motor is a must. Buy the strongest one you can afford.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use mine for controled drifting

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Manny, like has been said by a few others, I have one mainly for emergencies. I have no idea what thrust mine is. It's a old MinnKota 65B, haven't been made for more than 20 years. I have mine on the transom just in case I need to get to shore an away from the main channel where them there nasty ol barges hang out.

15. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Probably 35 yrs. ago I was about 3 miles from the cabin we used to have on the Cuivre River when the gas motor decided to eat the intake valve--made it back with a little 35 lb. Minn Kota. I always have a trolling motor! Now I'm using a sixty-something 24 volt Motorguide.

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I never really thought of the safety aspect of the trolling motor on the river I need to get one cause it will suck to paddle back to the ramp.:eek:oooh:

17. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have a 55lb troling motor with the quick release mount. The only time I have it on the front of my boat is when I am bowfishing. The front cleats pose enough threat to my cast net, a troling moter would mean certian trouble.:smile2:On the Mississippi 55lbs is not gonna get me very far UP river, and I can just float down!!:wink:

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes you can float down river. But can you float out of the way of a towboat in time? That is where the T/M would be worth its weight in gold.
    pete

19. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like many others... I use mine for catching shad and drift fishing. The safety thing is a added bonus and important one. However....

I would wager most (not all) would not buy a trolling motor at all... if it was only a safety reason and not practical piece of fishing equipment. The usefulness is what I want.

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The first time they got stuck out in the navigation channel on the Mississippi or Missouri, they would change their thinking!:smile2: