HOW IMPORTANT IS IT FINDING BAITFISH

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by creekrunnerpca123, Aug 23, 2008.

1. creekrunnerpca123

creekrunnerpca123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    WHEN A LAKE IS NOT PRODUCING LIKE IT SHOULD BE,IS FINDING BAITFISH VERY IMPORTANT,OR IS IT JUST AS GOOD JUST BAITING A SPOT WITH SOUR WHEAT..

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well I ain't tried the sour wheat but I figure if you find small bait fish there should be big cats lookin for them too so that is a good place to stay for a short time

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    When the bite is slow you have to find the baitfish. The catfish still have to eat and they are looking for easy meals, not something they have to forage around for

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Find the baitfish would be the best bet. Look for birds feeding on the surface in lakes, they are there for a reason. Also fish the lake shore where the wind is blowing against that bank. The wind pushes the plankton and food that the shad feed on, which then attracts bigger predator fish that feed off the shad.

5. creekrunnerpca123

creekrunnerpca123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    HEY,I SURE DO THANKYOU FOR THE INFO.ONE MORE ? SHOULD WE FISH IN THE SHAD OR ON THE OUTSKIRTS..

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Directly underneath them. :big_smile:

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It all sounds like good information to me. Good luck

8. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA

Exactly and to elaborate a little more on really windy days if drifting is not working find the wind blown cove.Set the hole with your boat at the mouth of the cove & parallel with the bank.Then have the middle rods up close to the bank next two about half way and the outside holder closest to the boat in deeper water.then just see which are getting the bites and put the all of them in the same depth to maximize your chances.
    The small bait balls of fish do not have enough rear end to swim out of the cove against the wind and will be a prime target for some nice cats.

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a very nice strategy, I will have to give it a try!! Thanks for the tip