how important is electronics in your game plan

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by goldfish33, Feb 25, 2009.

1. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    i fish the markland pool alot and here some swear by'em and some swear at'em.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I have a cheap depth finder that will tell you depth, water temp, and big structure but not all structure, and for what I use it for it works. I wouldnt want to fish a new spot without it. I really dont use it on the spots I already know to much.

3. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Same here, on a body of water that I am not super familiar with, I would not want to be without my depthfinder/GPS!

4. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't know if I would know how to fish for blues without mine......seriously !! I could catch channels and flats but wouldn't know where the blues were without mine. Just the only way I know how!

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jo, Welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web!

Good electronics are a must and I would be lost without it more times than not.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    They play into my game plan big time, but to be honest I think I get way to attached to them sometimes, and probably pass up some good water that I should be taking another look at..

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just don't know. I have two different depth finders and they NEVER agree about anything. I can't honestly say I've spent adequate time to learn to read then either. I generally leave them on the "auto" setting. I've fished 99% of my life without them and just figured they were a required toy for the boat, which I haven't had all that long either. I DO like the idea of being able to see "something" of the bottom structure, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes at the current time. Where I fish, I don't see any real need for GPS and don't have any intention of putting my ancient boat on water big enough to need it.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just as important as my underwear!:wink:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have come to rely on mine. They have changed the way I fish and my success rate!

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    After learning how much more efficient I can be with a depth finder, I cant see myself going without one if i dont have to. Knowing depth as well as water temp makes all the difference for me most of the time.

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    exactly!!!! I think the human eye/ know how is good enough to recongnise a good spot when they see it...... sorry to all the electro relyers but I go by my own gut feelin and know how to catch fish. And damn good at it!!.... in big money contest it may help, but in the long run I would trust my free gut rather than a $500 peice of electronics.... IMO I will be right 95% more than a fish finder

12. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area

that seems to be my situation also except sometimes i keep going over and over the same area looking for something i have missed.i was planning on buying a side scanner but the job situation may have something to say about that.
    my unit is a lowrance that records and i have charted alot of water around cincy.i have got into the habit of recording areas and setting waypoints. sometimes i forget to fish as i enjoy riding around looking at the bottom of the river.then i come home and watch them on the computer as they have all the gps coordinates,date and time embedded in the charts.

does anybody use them to target individual fish or just groups?

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'm one of those that depend on them. My nose is glued to both of them when i'm moving around. I think i use mine just as much on familiar waters as i do on new waters. Things are constantly changing. Bait, fish and structure are always moving. electronics have come along way since the flashers.

14. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have forgotten mine at home a couple times and know that it detracts from my fishing ,if only mentally. If we forget it it seems like we still catch some fish but usually it takes us twice as long to get on them. Dont have all the things you are talking about but it sounds like it would eat up some fishing time..

15. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had one on every one of my boats. I do not use it as a "fish finder" but use them to tell depth, water temp, and find bottom structure. If people use them to drive around looking for a big fish to pop up on one you probably ain't getting the best use out of your electronics, just my two cents.

16. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    i have been using electronics since flashers.never could get the feel of them and had the swear at'em mode,never could just get that faith issue down.
    as technolgy improved i was hesitant about spending more money on another invention to just aggravate me.but that graph on my uncles ranger proved fatal.i didnt buy a paper unit, i just drooled.the lcd's were cheap and blocky at the time but there was a unit that saltwater lake erie guys raved about. along came the furuno crt.
    just had to have it but it cost almost as much as a new car.bought it, almost got divorced but now i have the faith.i can now catch fish,or so i thought.it cost alot and shows a pretty picture.i became good at excuses also as i developed that fishermans dreaded disease the too disease too hot
    too cold too early too windy etc.

over the years i have learned to interpret instead of rely on electronics.i am amazed at the number of times i threw my judgement and experience of weather/water/seasonal conditions over the side with the anchor.
    now i swear by'em.

i spent alot of time on the water with my units just testing myself on what it is i see on the screen.is that a rootball,pile of rocks,or my imagination?

i sat on a hole for half a day trying to catch all those biggun's on that screen once.luckily an older guy motored up and asked if i had got any.he began snagging for something,yep you guessed it spoonbil.thats why they didnt seem to like my cutbait or suckers.i wasted two trips to try to catch spoonbill's on suckers and cutbait.my buddy still laughs at me over that one,when we go to anchor down sometimes ,and so do i.
    after that experience i began to wonder what kind of fish is on the screen.
    do they have scales or skin?
    is that a rootball? or is it hybrids stacked up like cord wood?
    what is that interference on the screen in that hole? small rivers only

i have absolutly increased my ability to catch fish by using and being able to interpret my electronics along with my experiences of being on the water.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never caught a fish in the few times I have fished from a boat.

So electronics are of no importance to me...LOL

18. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    who uses electronics?!?!:cool2::wink:...RAT