How Important Is Catfishing To You?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Mar 21, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I ask this because of my recent birth of my son. Catfishing has always been a Top-Notch Sport for me... But, as I look at the big picture with two young children it seems catfishing, or fishing for the matter don't seem as important than in years past. And to be quite honest, I consider myself a hardcore fisherman, but really don't care as much on how I do on the water as much as I used to... I have caught many fish over the years, and probably will catch a few more I hope... BUT, to me now... fishing is fishing.. And family is first priority. I hope my kids end up wanting to fish, but if they take another route, thats fine also. So my question is... How important is fishing and cattin to you? Do you have anything such as young children that is taking the big stage from your usual fishing habits? Or do you put fishing ahead of family etc. still? I am addicted to fishing, but family is the most important thing in my life! rollo

2. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    OF COURSE the family comes first. My two boys are my number one. But I find a great balance that keeps everyone happy. I work afternoons so its easy to skip sleeping and be back in the morning before everyone wakes up.

Catfishing is a big part of my life. From my time spent on this site among others to scouting and the late night and early mornings on the water. I love doing it and plan on doing it for the rest of my life. However, when push comes to shove, my family is more important.

On another note, I am a firm believer in the theory that YOU are always to be #1 because if you arent happy then you cant be expected to keep those close to you happy. It might work for a while but you will ALWAYS end up collapsing under your own stress. A hobby like catfishing can be a fantastic way to burn up excess energy, frustration, and get away to clear your mind.

A lot of people like to take a fishing partner and thats fine most of the time. But I know that sometimes there can be nothing more therapeutic than a relaxing morning all alone by my pond. I guess its my way of keeping sane. Good question, cant wait to see the other responses!

Tang:smile2:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Agree! You don't even have a clue as to what is coming down the road in a few short years buddy, but you are going to love it all over again and even more, as you become the teacher to them little ones. My daughter (now 9) has grown into the one that 90% of the time now, tells me that WE are going to go fishing :wink: and it is great, way more fun than the before time, (as fun as that all was) just remember (which I know you will) when that time comes to start passing the torch, when it is time to stop and toss rocks into the water, then, you stop and toss rocks into the water...... I really don't think what you are going to experience in the short future can be explained by anyone, it is just something that you experience, and it sure is great!

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    fishing has it's place. Few make it a top priority. When considering fishing and family, incorporating fishing with the family can be a big plus. It's those trips with the kids that pretty much have those moments of a lifetime. It's the things you sit around and talk about when the kids are grown up and have their own kids. The good times.

Fishing has it's place in the big scheme of things, but it isn't the most important far as priorities, unless it is your livelyhood.

just an opinion.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    very important to me good stress release

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I feel that family comes first also. Im just thankful to have a daughter that is so into fishing. Its my excuse alot of times to get out! I hope my boys love it to but as rollo said there will be many other things they are into and ill back them 100%. I already have them watching fishing tapes and infisherman dvds, Im gettin into there heads now. ! LOL!

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    fishing is important for to get out and away from the daily stress or work and family at times. really good to do that kip have a good weekend rick

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    family is definately more important.But,on the other hand,sometimes it is more important to get out and away,not only for your well-being,but for your family members also.I notice that when i am cooped up at the house for too long,i get pretty grouchy and i need to get out.same goes for the wife.sometimes i dont even care if i get one bite,as long as i am out enjoying the night.so i would say t he fishing is not as important as getting away to relieve some stress.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Family is number one. As a couple of my former employers found out.
    School plays, trick or treat, sick kid,,, whatever, I did not miss many and then only if it could not be avoided.

That being said, sanity is a good thing. And as the Fam was sucking up all my physiatrist and bar money,, fishing was fairly important too.
    When we were a new family just starting out, the harvest from the waters helped keep us fed, so it was a two-fer! :big_smile:

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    well i dont have any small children anymore, but i have 8 grandkids now, and its a lot easier to get out and go, but when they were growing up and playing ball or whatever that always came first, id still sneak out a few times a week but family was always first, now i am like some of the others have said, i go out to sit and think and enjoy nature, just to relax and get away from the family and tv, they are welcome to go and do at times but usually by myself or with griends either way its great to get out

11. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    VERY GOOD THREAD i have to agree thu family is 1st .take your kids fishing if they like it as they get older ,then when u r older they can take you &your grandkids best of both worlds

12. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Fishing is incredibly important to me, because i'm a real straight edge guy, and fishing is my only activity that can compare to what my friends would rather do....get high and drink, pills, and what not. Since i don't do any of that stuff and never will, fishing is my default activity to do with my friends, and its something they like doing with me so its a life saver literally

13. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fishing is important, but family is more important. To me, fishing is a two fold thing for me. First, it is a release for me from the everyday grind of work. Secondly, it allows me to pass on my knowledge and skills to my children, family and friends. I can't imagine not fishing, however I don't go If my family needs something.

14. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok, I left one thing out. It can also be ME time. Kinda like shopping for men.

15. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    To put it shortly iam a weekend father to my kids not by my choice but anyways (there mom and i are seperated) when there with me in the summer they allways wanna go fishin with me i swear if they could it would be 24/7 but when there with mom there in the house 24/7 so when they get to see dear ol dad they just wanna be outdoors and haveing fun in the summer we go camping and fishing on most weekends except for a few groundhog outings we have and in fall we spend time squirrle hunting( tree rats ) as my 2 daughters call them its just the time we spend together and iam happy to have started to teach them to hunt and fish if i can do that ill know they will never starve and they can allways provide for there familys brianna is 5 and her sis valerie is 4 and my son is 1 yr old while nate is to young to go hunting yet he still injoys going to the lake to sit and look and get into stuff and chase the geese and help dad reel in a fish if iam luckey enough to get 1 lol but i wanted to pass on the outdoors to my kids like my dad and granddad did to me and i also thin it will kepp them outta trouble i know it did me i know i kinda strayed from original question but didnt know how to really answer with me being a weekend dad hope this helps thought...will

16. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love to fish especially catfish but it seems every summer my life gets busier and busier and I fish less and less. Its not that I don't want to get out on the water but I just don't have the time. I have moved up through my company and I have more responsibilities there which leads me to a lot longer days and trips to different customers which then cuts in to my time with my 2 sons and my wife which makes it harder when I am home to be able to get out and fish because I want to spend that time with the family. Last summer I ended up doing most of my fishing an hour at a time after I got everyone to bed and I was restless so I would run out to the local reservoir to try to catch a few bullhead or some crappie or gills. I think I only made it out 6-8 times to the river to chase flats all summer last year. As my boys grow I hope they will share the love of fishing I have so we can spend that time together and I will be able to fish more often with the family.

17. cantonjim

cantonjim New Member

State:
    ohio
    i want to experenice to trill of hooking a big monster.but have yet to do it.so anyone want to help me with that lets hook up so to say lol:smile2:

18. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    as u allready know, ur kids, wife , r first thing the fish will allway be there . i think by u bring this up, u mite be feeling like ur time fishing is geting smaller and smaller, trust me , this is comeing from a old man that has been in ur spot 3 times him self, ur kids r going to grow up FAST, so stick with them and see them grow so u can look back ona ur memories of them, they will grow up and go there way , and do there thing , and you ll have ur time back to fishing.keep up the good work brother :cool2:

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Catfishing is everything to me, besides my family that is . I'm very lucky to have a supportive family when it comes to fishing. We all have a great respect for one another and go to great lengths to make us all happy. If my kids wanna go do something, well then we make it happen. In fact most weekends they are at grandma's...cause that's where they wanna be.

My kids even tell me to go fishin, LOL. But come summer them kids are right there fishin with dad ; )

I'm hardcore as much as I was when I was single, ya gotta work it out with everyone. This is one reason I fish during dark hours......cause they are all sleeping anyways ; )~

20. howard2119

howard2119 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I love to fish and catch monsters. But not as much as i love to show my boys everything i know