how i rigged my akwa-lung

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by russ, Jun 18, 2009.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    Ive been using akwa-lung for a couple yrs. now and just had a new live-well made for my boat. after looking at everything i changed for few things and it made a big diff. in the way it works. i used bigger fittings, and i drilled a bigger hole in the oxygen infuser tapped it , put a fitting on that and run a 5/16 hose out side the tank. i can fill the tank all the way with the infuser under water and it works better than ever. i took pics. of it so you can see just how i did it, and what kind of flow it has now. i turned the the unit so you can see how far the flow goes across the tank. its just one a great product. i had ten fish in the tank sunday all were 12 to 20 pounds, it was very hot and the water out of the ole miss was as muddy as Ive ever seen it, the fish did just fine.

Attached Files:

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Nice looking install Rusty ! I have one on a 80 gallon livewell that saved the day for me in a tournament on lake perry a few weeks ago, I had my fish in a smaller livewell on the boat and prior to weigh in I noticed the fish were in distress and after just 30 minutes in the livewell with the akwalung the fish were back to prime condition and ended up winning the us cats manufactured bait tournament.

3. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    congrads on the win, for anyone who hasnt tryed or seen one of these units work dont know how good of a job they do.

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Do you ever refresh the water in your livewell after the initial fill? I know the awkalung is supposed to filter the scales and junk out of the water as well so I didn't know if you still had to flush the water out with new or not.

I'm thinking about ordering an awkalung and rigging it on a 150qt cooler. I can just rig a bilge and throw it overboard to fill the cooler, but wasn't sure how to go about the putting an overflow on the cooler. If I wouldn't need to be replenished after the initial fill, then I'd be all set.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    great job russ! looks like its ejecting the oxygen well!

the akwalung was designed so you dont have to keep adding new water to your tank! how ever the hotter the water the less oxygen that will get saturated into the water so its a good idea to add some ice to keep the water cool, at least in the 70's

7. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    HI RUSS
    I WAS LOOKING AT YOU NE UPGRADE WITH THE AKWA-LUNG UNIT COULD YOU PLEASE TELL US WHAT SIZE PUMP YOU ARE USING AND POST A PHOTO OF THE NEW LIVE/ PUMP SIDE PLUMING WELL YOU ARE USING. I LIKE THE UPP GRADE SIZE ON THE 5/16 HOSE SIZE.