How hot can the water get before the fish stop biting?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by loanwizard, Aug 27, 2009.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    At what temperature do the fish stop biting altogether? 90, 100, 110?

2. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I found that the channel cats here in florida stop at 88

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    when it gets hot like that theyll find a thermocline or a deep hole

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They have not been biteing for me all year.

So I would say between 32 and 100 degrees they shut down!:big_smile:

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    for me the hotter the water the better on the flatheads.. i have never seen the blues stop for any reason other than the spawn.....

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    im with jack on this:confused2::angry::confused2:

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    No matter what the TEMP. They have to eat sometime. Here in california I have caught CHANNEL's in the summer when it was 100, and in the winter when it was cold, but it don't freeze here.
    They are more ACTIVE in the warmer water, just takes longer to catch them in the colder water.
    Thats here where I fish, doesn't mean it couldn't be different other places.

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    When the catfish crawl out on the bank and get in the shade its to hot.

Sorry I couldn't resist:smile2:

9. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

Caught my best blue on the James last Sunday, water temp was 88.9. Have caught them this year as hot as 97. Picking up flatheads as well.
    pb blue is avitar, 84#

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    122.2589 degrees, I think :wink::smile2:.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They don't stop biting for me, they just move locations.

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    same here to jack ive caught 1 flathead all year 17#and ive been skunked last 9 times ive been fishing

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    My best flat head came out of Sutton Lake a power plant cooling lake the surface temp was 105 an the temp in 20 ft of water where he came from was 99 degrees temp taken with hot tub thermometer ,an yes he is still swimming in the lake :wink:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to fish the local nuclear plant outlet every spring until the Arkansas River got down to where it was safe to fish it. A couple of years, that happened later than usual, so the water in the outlet cove was really getting warm by the time I moved to the river; it wasn't hot enough to be uncomfortable, but it did feel like a fairly hot bath. I wouldn't eat the fish because when you held one, it left depressions in the flesh where your fingers were; really mushy. But the cats kept hitting the bait as well as usual. I never measured it, but I would guess the temperature at somewhere between 105 and 110.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not sure, but at 212 you can eat them.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I was just wondering. I was fishing the other day and wasn't having much luck for bait in fast shallow water so I decided to go to a discharge not for temp, but for oxygen as the discharge has a small waterfall. I had some nice take downs and caught a channel and baitfish were flipping. The water temperature was 105. Kind of surprised me.

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Same here at our hotwater discharge. The water is hot hot hot. We have seen our temp guage on our lowrance get as high as 117 in that water and it will flat out burn ya. We catch channels in that water all the time. Never caught a blue or flat there in that hot water but we had on particular night when the shad were in there thich and something was smashin um. throw netted some and floated cut shad under a float about 2 feet deep and I can say it was one of the funnest times Id ever had. It was like bluegill fishin in a farm pond. The first few fish we caught died though. never hooked them deep or anything. after the first few We tried to unhook the fish why it was still in the water instead of the shock of going from the hot water out and back into the hot. That worked. After that they all swam away fine.

18. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I fish the Lower Colorado River in the summertime, in the desert of southern Arizona. It sometimes gets upwards of 120 outside, (air temperature), during the heat of the day, so of course I fish at night. The trick is to find a deep hole, and bring plenty of beer.