How high is the diesel mama?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Last year at this time, fishermen on the coast of NC could fill their trawlers up for $2.87 @ gallon and Tuesday it was $4.73 @ gallon and rising. With this increase in fuel cost, they can not justify scouting runs to find fish, crabs, shrimp, etc. Thus they will have to wait until peak times (mid July) for the shrimp and other dates for certain fish. In the Oak Island area it is estimated that 40 to 50 shrimp trawlers are tied up to their docks and have been for several months and this is just one of many docking areas along the NC coast. It has been estimated that those on the northern part of the coast (NC) can no longer afford the 1,500 gallons required to go to the Massachusetts waters to fish for cod, haddock and black bass. The commercial fishermen can not past their extra fuel cost on to the discount houses due to cheaper imports. Fishing guides can and have passed the additional gas expense on to their clients, both on the coast and inland. From Maine to Florida it has been estimated that 25 to 45 percent of the trawlers are not fishing due to the high cost of fuel. It was reported that shrimpers are getting less for their catch than they did ten years ago at the dock.

The foregoing information was gleaned from the Charlotte Observer newspaper.

Are we about to see an industry disappear due to high fuel prices and imports, maybe!

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    The cost of diesel is also hurting the owner operator [truckers] as well as company I am afraid that we will all feel this in many ways in our lives if something is not done to stop it! The bad thing is that diesel costs less to produce then gas but the demand is greater like for the fisherman and truckers so the industry has gotten even more greedy and they are chargeing more for it . As for what can be done WHO KNOWS but something needs to be done

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is true ,The tiny concrete company I am employed by charges 4;00 a mile milage on all concrete we deliver over 6 miles away. high fuel prices are making things higher on BOTH ends of every consumer product.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    By viewing some posts on this site I'm sure there are some happy folks that commercial fishermen cant afford fuel.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmm, 25 to 45%......so SOME are still able to afford the cost, and venture out.

What worries me about that is, if a bunch of OURS (NC) aren't even able to fish our OWN coast, who's going to show up down here that IS?

Won't the fish/shellfish population on our coast explode if our commercial fishermen are NOT fishing, and draw folks that don't normally fish here? :eek:oooh:

Diesel (and gas) prices are CRAZY right now....down here on the corner, diesel is $4.82 a gallon.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Mac with the boats going out less are they actually catching less fish per season ? If so will this increase the certain fish populations or is it just a drop in the bucket ?

-Jim-

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One thing you have to consider though.
    They dont pay taxes on their fuel. They aren't driving them boats on the highway.:wink:

Commercial fishing in NC accounts for millions of dollars into the economy.
    Somewhere around 50 million dollars of commercially caught seafood is sold every year. That doesn't include the dollar figure for the trickle down into the economy.

Some counties in NC that's all there is. Commercial fishing.
    Most of the people that commercial fish do it part of the year and something else the rest of the year.
    The big boys might scallop on the Grand Banks part of the year and fluke here the other part of the year.

Tanya, the big boys will continue to fish. Its about like hog farming.
    You might sell for a loss for 6 months and then make a decent profit for 9 months.
    You got too much invested to just quit and if you quit you are in a deeper hole then if you kept on plugging along.

Fortunately our mainstay in NC is the crabbing industry.
    It dont take gobs of fuel to crab like it would dragging nets or a dredge.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its just to HIGH !!!!!!!!!:angry:

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    There are a lot of good points made above but I still say that the high cost of fuel will increase the cost of everything you buy cause fuel in some form was involved with the product that is why it has to be contained at a certain level

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    $5 and rising. Oh dear Johnny Cash songs going through my head now.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

O-kay. So what shall we do? Let's have some suggestions (and try to keep this from going to Hi-Ho.)

HI-HO, HI-HO, it's off to oblivion to the main membership we go......

Don't ask ME, 'cause I don't know WHAT to do. But if the people in this nation can't stand up and say what they think, all is lost! The whole purpose, WHY we ARE, and WHO we are.

Today is independence day. However, NO ONE can stand alone and fight, not against this.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i was gonna post about this.:wink:

now we can be fed cheap immitation fish from china and will most likly be paying higher costs with slimmer catches. shrimp and lobster and crab will skyrocket and no mid american will be able to aford it. these age old trades will die out and sea food and tuna will be a rare treat.

and then some of these folks that have whined like babies about commercial fishing will be complaining that applebees raised thier shrimp to astronomical levels or no longer serve it. them maybe thell wake up and see the true aspect of the trade. untill then theyll complain about something they dont understand. and ill continue to shake my head at them.

the commercial fishing industry delivers food to markets at affordable cost. when it declines 40-50% then well see the importance of each one running.

after it happens well be stuck with pork, beef, and chicken and be paying high dollar because demand without sea food will drive those meats into less and less availibility.

this means fish sticks, pre battered cod and pollock and any fish.

then more and more anglers will be fishing harder and harder to get fish for there diets. and even without commercial fishing the pressure on fisheries will not be reduced.

i for one will keep everything from 6" channels to 60+ lb trophys when i cannot afford or get fish at market.

some are to worried about thier personal happiness to see the big picture. we'll all suffer the poorer effects when commercial fishing is impacted. look what mad cow did to the beef prices. hold on to your seats. i see humans on this planet is absoulate cayos and mad max scenarios within the the next 100 years. were on the doomsday course with the rat race society.

the wild west will be a cake walk with the future thats coming. unfourtunatly i wont be here to win the bets. but ide lay $ on it.:wink:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    commercial fishing isnt just catfish. its catfish to tuna to your long john silvers. i seen a post once stating "commercial fisherman need to find another line of work" i almost laughed my self to death at that silly remark in lighter terms. (i seen it as a selfish trophy fisherman wanting his cake and eat it too) with no concideration for others diets. some just dont get it. humans need food. with over population nothing is sacred. we need meat, plants, roots, ect.... to sustain us. take one out well all be starving out. thats why i laugh at vegans. if we all done away with meat the rain forsets would be stripped of leaves in a decade.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

WELL, this thread IS about commercial fishermen, although I think you're freakin' out for no reason Jerm, at least in this case. May I say, calm down sweetie heart. Didn't mean to get ya all riled up :eek:oooh:.

DANG. The sportscaster on our local news just sang part of "God Bless the USA" :smile2:.

But I still stand by what I stated previously.....if we want the fuel prices to go down, we're going to have to stand up and say so. Just blabbering on here isn't gonna accomplish that.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im not freaking out at all. im just saying what i see coming. i understand the importance of every trade that puts food to market. commercial fisherman are just as important to the world food industry as american farmers. without either were in trouble. and desiel is gonna effect farming too if it keeps rising.

in vietnam they eat dogs. in other countries they eat guinea pigs, scorpions, grubs ect........ ive seen enough bizzare foods to know this. and thats is a good thing IMO. we need to broden our menus if the population keeps exploding. to save the earth from species extinctions in the future. i see one solution. a 50% reducion in human population. but that would still be a temporary fix. we have very little to fear from predation. were our own worst enemy. in animals in the wild theres a balance. natural predation. weve escaped that except for rare cases.

im just saying commercial fishing is extreamly important to the world food supply. and well all be sorry if what some "wish" comes true.

16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Had to pay 5.60 out in Barstow the other day:angry:

The biggest problem is China, they are taking/buying as much fuel as the can get and paying what ever the price is without the worry of the cost of the energy they need for there explosive industry requirements, do to the wages they pay there hard working peasants they can afford to pay for it and still make a large profit, like ol Jim Kramer said the other day after Saudi Arabia said it will start pumping more oil to help out, he says China will take/buy that oil for what ever it cost to get it , we here will never see it, the problem is not only oil Its steel and other commodity's ... the price of steel is as bad as oil if not worse. We have a structural steel fab shop and the price of steel we paid five years ago was just less then .20 cents a pound right now its near .80 cents a pound with some of it near a dollar a pound and .20+ cents of that has been with in the last few months, last time went to the scrap yard got .21 cents a pound for scrap steel more then we paid for brand new steel with certs five years ago, china is taking/buying as much scrap as they can get and paying big money for it, we just gave a customer of ours a 28K change order for mat'l increase for a small building(petsmart) in a strip center mall, that was just over a 10% increase for our part of the project just for mat'l on a project that has gone on since the end of april, at that time the price of steel was around .60 a lb.

I'm thinking were all headed for big problems if something is not done very soon about all this, just thinking the average car is 3000lb at .25 cent a pound increase that would add up $750 just in the last few months and over the last five years that would be $1800. o ya been told by our suppliers that the price of steel may be 1.25 before this time next year:angry:

I think its time for all of us to stop buying anything that says made in china, it may cost us more now but in the long run I think we will be better off. I think our elected folks need to put some very large duty's on all the crxp(that there trying to kill our kids with) that comes in to this country so we cant afford anything made from there

Ok time to think about fishing:roll_eyes:

17. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    As for the cost of fuel we need to drill in our own country and use what is there for the USA and quit buying it from overseas But if I understand it right there is drilling going on off the coast of Fla and the fuel is going to China or somewhere while we pay rediculas price for the oil that is imported to us I can not figure out the logic to that but with an election year on us i believe we got the leverage we need if it is used