How have Asian carp affected your catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BenNewt, Oct 1, 2009.

How has the invasion of asian carp affected your catfish catches?

1. Catfishing has improved.

2. Catfishing is worse.

3. Can't tell a difference.

4. I don't fish that river no more.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    As far as I know, there are no asian carp up my way. I'm curious to see how the invasion of these fish have affected catfish populations and/or fishing in your favorite rivers. Of course, the big worry has been that since asian carp are filter feeders they will consume all the food that young native fish need to survive. Has this been the case? Have you had one jump into your boat and smack you in the face?

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    We don't have those things here, thank God.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Man I am curious about these as well.We have them at the dam but where i fish in the lake they are just now starting to show up.No jumpers in the boat as of yet.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i kinda wished we had them here..id target them:smile2:

5. gonecatin

gonecatin New Member

State:
    IA
    where I fish they are so bad DNR has signs posted if you catch one you have to throw them on the bank. they are one of the toughest fighting fish I ever came across, during spoonbill season you snag into 1 about every 5th cast, they will really put the hurts to ya after about 20 of them lol....

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I am not really sure that we know yet the effect Asians will have on the ecosystem. Here is what I have seen from my own experience. Early in the decade it was rare for me to come across one. Now you will come across them all the time. It is not much fun coming across a school of large ones in the middle of the night and have them jump all over the place breaking your equipment. I have started to see large schools of Asian minnows around and they are only going to get bigger. You figure it doesn't take to long for them to get to big before they haven't the need to worry about being eaten by anything. The positive is they are easy bait. On a slow day of catfishing you can drive around and get them to jump in the boat or catch them in a net when they are airborne. Also on calm days you can see schools swimming by, breaking the surface. So I keep a snagging rod handy with large treble hooks, as you can often snag a few. With that being said I would rather do without them, but I think they are here to stay.:confused2:

7. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Around here I have those signs as well, no live fish are to be returned to the water, period. They are bad too, around Clinton Lake dam they are thick and I've snagged them reeling in. At night if you shine a light on the water you can see some monster silver carp hovering around just feet away from the bank. Makes me wish I had a bow because I want all those ugly things dead. Some of them are massive, with bodies 4 ft or more in length. There are so many you can see their droppings cluttering the surface of the water around rocks and the edges of things, and to think: back when I was younger and fishing only with my dad I had never seen or heard of one of these things. It's alarming. I saw schools of them moving upstream that looked like the water was shallow and you were seeing weeds below...nah, it was the sheer number of these fish slowly moving along.

I have a spot light that's powerful and if you shine it way up into the dam at night you can see them jumping by the hundreds. Those one's are young and pretty gutsy schooling at the surface when they're so small. Wonder if flatties or other fish eat them? Always wanted to try one for live bait. Cutbait got me channels one night though.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    They do make good cut bait for channels and blues.

9. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    also small ones make great live bait for flats.:wink:

I hear afew people around here eat them..:eek:oooh:

10. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    On the Illinois river they are a real pain. Run your boat anywhere out of the channel, and you will have them jumping everywhere. I have been nailed several times, and have had gear destroyed. A friend of mine lost a nice rod and reel right out of the holder when one came up over the bow, made a perfect arc into his rod,caught it just right, and out it went. Bait fish, especially shad are becoming harder to come by. I think they are definately eating up the food supply that the bait fish depend on. As for catfishing, it's still good, just not nearly as good as it was before these slimy boogers took over.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am not sure, but I think they may have something to do with the lack of bait this year. I think they are somehow hurting the shad and skipjack population. I could be totally off on this, but just my thought on the matter.

12. festus

festus New Member

Scott, does DNR clean up the dead fish from the bank?

I haven't heard of any around here, but know for sure they're in West Tennessee. Around here all I am sure of is we have common carp, grass carp, buffalo, and carpsuckers.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Doubt if they would have time to run around cleaning them up. Nature will take care of it.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think they're in the Ohio River very thick yet, if at all.
    But I've heard of people preferring them as cut bait over shad and skipjack.

It may be a good time-killer to go carp smashin' one night. :smile2::smile2:

15. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Wow, this could be very, very bad if true. To my knowledge asian carp would be in direction competition with shad populations for food and space. The problem arises in the fact that asian carp are rapid growers and quickly grow to a size that predators (flatheads, blues, stripers, etc.) cannot eat--whereas shad stay at an eatable size for a large portion of their lives. :sad2:

16. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We found two asain carps floating in the Altamaha...So we went upriver and shot the asain feller,, Haven't seen anymore of that carp in the river..

17. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    :confused2:That's nice.......

18. Real men fish

Real men fish New Member

State:
    california
    where i fish we have an ass load of them, yes an ass load. and when we catch them we do hanious things to them such as punch them in the face, bend them in half, feed them to the coons, my buddy tried to use one as bait, no luck, they taste like crap to the other fish. they have to be the worst fish for any habitat. not only that, they were created to eat, and grow real fast, so there not even a natural fish. the best thing to do with them is stick an M80 in there mouth and throw them when you light it, kaboom its fun, and the birds like to eat them.:cool2:

19. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lol..that would be something funny to see. Have to have one of the guys try that next time. We usually just throw them way up out of the way in the weeds. Though one time the fiance ripped one at a nearby bridge wall and it made a satisfying mess.

20. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Whoa now. The ACLU better not read this thread, you're violating them fishes civil rights :wink: