How has the gas prices impacted your fishing this year?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wolfman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For myself, I havent gone to a couple of gatherings that I would have liked to gone to.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havent gone to my first gathering,I have gone fishing close to the same amount,but I live less than 4 miles from the lake here,so that helps.

3. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I keep on fishin'. It is getting tougher but I just sacrifice here and there just to go fishin'. I hate it but my wife and my son fishes so we just have to do it. I don't know about if the gas keeps going up but I'm doing all I can to still go a couple of times a week.:big_smile:

4. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have'nt gone as neer as much as would like to. It's about 30 miles one way for me to fish so it has had a great impact on me.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Uh.....the pontoon has not been off the trailer since last summer.

Thank God there's stabilizer in the gas. I hope it does the job.....Seafoam.

Was gonna go tonight, but the minnows all died except one :smile2:, and it got too late to go buy any more. Minnows.....much cheaper than gas. :big_smile:

We were goin' crappie fishing. Works for me. 'Bout the only catphish in my local lake are channels. Seems they like crappie minnows too.

6. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Seafoam does a great job, great product. good luck with the crappie.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Out here in the central valley where i live at there's so many river's lake's stream's resiviour's and canal's to fish you could be at any one within a few minute's ...But instead i just jump on my moutain bike and save the money i would of spent for gas to buy hmmmm beer lol

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    MY GAS bill has doubled!

I hate it, 25 gallons = 100.00 or more thats crazy. To fill my truck and boat and reserve tank.

It does hit the bank book hard.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I quit smoking so I could fish more this year Walt, The @##$ gas prices are so high the only thing I gained (and it wasn't fishing time) was to have a little extra left over to give my dear wife. lol :smile2::eek:oooh::smile2::eek:oooh:

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think I have fished more this year so far and as of yet I'm not going to let the gas prices slow me down. After all in the end it is only money and you can't take it with you. :big_smile:

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    oh man, I hope momma dont read this. :eek:oooh:

Goodx luck on the fish!:big_smile:

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We haven't been able to go as much this year, but we are trying to make our trips as good as possible, by only going when we know we are going to be able to stay long enough to really make it worthwhile. We can play with the bluegill about 2 miles from the house, but to get in some good catfishing we have to go at least 30 miles to get to a good spot. We don't have a boat, so that limits us somewhat. But at least we don't have to pay for the gas for that, too!!

13. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    If I'm fun fishing or catching bait, I try to stay within a 2 mile raduis of my dock. If I have a guide trip, I have to bite the bullet, burn the gas, and go where the fish are. We have added a $25 dollar surcharge to our fishing trips for our guide service. So far, not one single complaint from our clientele.

One postive from the fishing side on the higher gasoline prices is that there is less boat traffic on Lake Norman. The negative side is that it is affecting businesses that depend on the boating traffic.

But, the higher gas prices have not affected those that ride the PWC (Wave Runners and Jet Skis), wish it did!

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im still fishing as much as i allways have im just fishing closer to home.ive cut back from 23 dogs to 6 and i sold all my pigeons,bout 300,sold my chickens and ive cut back on groceries.eating a lot more wild game and fish.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well from catting on the boat to bluegill fishing from the bank. but an ultra light 4lb test and drag to squeel in the wind. fishing is still fun just to have blood in my veins and breathing the fresh lake air.

hope to be back skippering soon. but $4.00 GAS. SCREW EM. I AINT BOATING TILL I CATCH EVERY BLUEGILL IN THE 5000 ACRE LAKE. LMAO.:smile2:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    me too buddie. deer roast tonight.

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would love to be spending more time on KY Lake. Gas what it is has cut me to the one trip, unless I buy a more fuel efficient vehicle. Trouble is most little cheap on fuel cars and trucks are like buying gold. They are high.

My F 250 + truck camper + boat used a little over 600 to go to TN and back this spring. Gas was between 3.59 and 3.89 then. Boat used another 250 on the lake for a week.:angry::angry:

I have been looking for something smaller and cheaper, probably go back to a tent. Then no boat, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Small car or truck would not pull my boat. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:angry::angry:

Maybe I need to fish closer to home, but I love KY Lake and TN. Kentucky Lake is one of those lakes you have to support catch and release, as you will/can never clean all you catch. You will spend more time cleaning than fishing. lol lol Great fishing there.

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Gas prices are going to affect us all. If you look at the tournaments you can see that it has had its impact. Entries are way below last years. I hope it changes soon, I know that most people have had to reconsider their priorities...................sure am glad I don't have any life threatening vices to worry about

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    every year i take a trip with the father-in-law to canada but not this yr. and i'm glad i didn't, he said it cost him 500 bucks for fuel up and back plus boat, the cabin we stay at for the week costs less than that and that includes food, i say start drillin here

20. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    What the gas prices have affected is if I can afford to work. I drive about 90 miles round trip everyday. If gas goes any higher I'm gonna have to quit my job and find something closer. Problem with that is there are no jobs close to me that pay as much as I'm making now. To make up for the gas prices I work a lot of overtime. An hour drive there, 12 hour shift, hour drive home, kids and a house to take care of when I get home, in the end I don't have much time to sleep. When the weekend comes I'm tired and I try to get done everything around the house and yard that I didn't get done during the week. Some weekends I find myself to tired to go out and fish.