How Has The Economy Changed Your Fishing And Lifestyle???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishrollo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sitting here finishing up my last couple grabs out of a 99 cent bag of chips, thinking it should have cost 20 cents. Remember when a dollar bag of chips seemed like a dollars worth? I shouldn't talk too much on this, because when it comes to how it used to be, I might still be a youngun. However, it irritates me at the age of 31 of what you get for your money these days. Seriously, it is sad for all of us. Will it ever get better if the economy does? Will we buy gas for a buck or less again? Will a dollar bag of chips seem like an honest bag when considering quantity? How has your fishing plans changed? I know mine have went being able to travel to not so much, and it isn't just for gas money either. Yes, a couple kids and family life play into our life. But, is it ever gonna get back to a simple weekend on the water, or outdoors can be a cheap vacation again? rollo

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    good thread. im right there at ur age and i understand what ya mean. when i started drvn gas was one dollar a gallon. i could just imagine what the older crowd is thinkn. it has not affected me much because i never had alot of money to spend to start with.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest Rollo, the price will more than likely not drop to a level that is less than it is now. what will happen is eventually the cost of living in our wages will begin to equal out to the cost. with inflation, the prices dont drop, but people wages will eventually or should eventually get back to a level that will make everything affordable again. the problem is it could take a very long time for

that to happen, with the state that the economy is in now. eventually the same job that paid $50,000 will pay $100,000+ and so on. but it should get back to normal, but that is only if the government steps in and makes companies do what they must to help equal things out. it will take a lot for that to happen because the lobbyist fund the government and money talks even in a supposed

democracy like ours. im not going to take this much farther, but you should have put this in HI, it could have really taken a good run with those guys.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The economy hasn't affected my lifestyle as much as it has affected my fishing.

I love going on road trips with my fishing friends. In the past 8 years we have fished the eastern shore from Hyannis, Massachusetts to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. With their hours at work being cut, the only road trip we have done in almost 2 years was Maumee, Ohio.

Now with gas prices, it's not worth driving 1.5 hours to the shore and catch something for supper. It's cheaper going straight to the fishmarket.:laugh1:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will move this to Hi also.. rollo

6. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    good deal. i bet it will do good there.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I think we will do a little better this year. Got 2 cars payed off and didn't use a credit card for Christmas.

I can remember when the filling stations would have a gas war and you could buy gas for .14 a gallon. In 1966 I could go on a date for less than $10. Movie, dinner and the amusement park.. Now it cost $10 just to dirve to the lake.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A couple years ago I was fishing every weekend, and could rent a boat to get on the water. Now I might go once a month and fish from the dock or shore. I would go to the coast and fish off the pier too, now can't afford the gas for that even.

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I will give up my fishing rods when they pry my cold dead fingers from around them. I suppose it would be nice to afford a newer vehicle to drive to the lake. I have a 92 olds 88 and a 90 dodge van my wife has a 97 jimmy. Its tough to keep older stuff on the road. The jimmy sat for over 6 months with a dead tranny so I couldn't use it to pull the boat which sat a lot because the van gets about 11 mpg down hill. Since I'm self employed I'm free to take time off to work on cars but everyday my shop sits there it costs me about $20 + no wages for the day because no work got done. I need to get the tranny in the olds serviced asap, The van has brakes stuck and the jimmy needs new windshield wiper mechanism. All 3 need an oil change. Figure on that taking 3 days out of my life which means $60 + no profit for 3 days. If I could afford to drop them off to get worked on I would. I need a stimulus check.

10. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We are taking furlough days and agreed to cut in other areas in an attempt to keep from laying people off. Luckily we only have to furlough one day a month for seven months so far. If things don't get better we will probably have to lay off. Looks like I will be fishing close to home for a while and limiting my camping trips.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm on Social Security,,,, camping this year will be with a tent,, taking my truck camper just wastes too much gas,,,,I picked up a smaller plastic boat that my Mazda will pull,,, got 25.7 last year with it pulling the boat,,,

The only bad thing I can see is that small boat won't take the rougher water like my 19 foot Roughneck,,,My F 250 with camper and Roughneck in tow gets 8-9 mpg,,,, I love fishing TN and KY,,,,my little car and plastic boat are going to be taking those trips.

If they perfected an electric car, that could be charged quickly,,, and have some range,,,,,,,,I would camp where there was electric and really save money....

Trouble with any new technology is,,, they charge for it,,,,even gas cars new are ridiculous,,,,

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I was born a poor little black child and I will die a poor little black ole man, but life has been good. We haven't seen the worst of it yet. Might have to jump over to Hi and get the full story!! Thanks for the post Rollo!!

13. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    So far fishing hasn't been hurt so much. But I have some rentals in Columbus Ohio and all my and my wifes doctors are in Columbus plus my 91 year old mother lives up there and I have to do things and run errands for her . A little over 200 miles round trip. Sometimes as many as 3 trips a week. When gas got over 4 bucks It really started to hurt, BAD. I was in Columbus Wednsday and Thursday this week and I stopped in Fishermans Warehouse (MY favorite candy store) . I got a pack of 25, 1/8 oz unpainted jigs and a pack of curly tails and it hit right at 11bucks. I was looking around in there and it looks like most fishing supplies have gone up some over the winter. Next trip I plan to hit R&R and check there prices. I sure wish R&R would fix there lighting so the things in the store could be seen better.:laugh1:
    Also how about just fueling a boat. for gas plus Seafoam or another additive plus the oil. And the last oil, Quicksilver, I bought was I think in mid $20.00per gallon range. Then Ins and licence plus trailer licence.
    BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  14. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya know, I bet I could visit this place again cheaper than what it would cost to go fishing. :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::sigarette:

Attached Files:

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The economy has changed the way I fish. I sold my boat because I needed the money more than the boat, I can catch catfish from the shore. I no longer need a vehicle large enough to pull that boat either, or the maintenance costs of upkeeping the boat. I've lost the opportunities that the boat provided, but adapted to a different style of fishing and I do all right.

I can't camp anymore either. Camping at a State Park in Michigan is about $20-$30 per night at a modern campsite so a couple days worth of camping without a large group outprices me in a hurry. I used to camp alone for a week and be joined by friends some of the nights; that is out of the question now at those prices. I might as well stay at a Motel 6 and at least have a private bathroom and a real bed. My camping gear is old and rotten now it has been so long since I have been out for the night, I'd need to borrow from others. No more trips to the U.P. to rent cottages on lakes and rent a boat either, all my fishing is done close to home.

I don't even add up how much I spend in gas, food, bait, new gear and accessories like rigs and sinkers, all the incidentals of fishing, because it is my hobby and if I knew how much I really spent I probably wouldn't be able to justify doing it as much anymore. It is far cheaper to buy fish from the store than own all the gear, take time off work, catch and clean them, so I have to turn a blind eye.

16. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It dosent bother me that much.I get good gas milage when I have to drive.I dont take my boat any father then a mile to get it in the water.and then I go maybe 300 yards.I dont even have to start up the motor.When I go fishing I can most of the time get two or three meals out of my catch. If i get skunked I can eat bait.
    smokey

17. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    it hasnt affected my fishing much at all , lucky enough to live within walking distance of the river and 15 minute drive to two lakes...like most i've cut back on some things ,havent had a credit card in 20 or so years..if i cant pay cash then i dont need it...been driving the same car for the last 18 years and maybe another 18 ,,lol...i lived on a budget all my life so cutting back has been a way of life, all my life