How has the economy affected your lifestyle?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by vfourmax, Mar 31, 2008.

1. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I watch the news and hear a lot about the job losses and people losing their homes and wonder how it affects people in different areas of the country.

I live in Central Va. and for the most part do not see the housing markets in such a shamble as what I hear is happening in much of the country. The job market here like most places has lost many of the higher paying occupations but unemployment in general is still fairly low 4% or less.

Granted "extra money" is getting to be less and less seemingly weekly due to increasing cost on everything that you buy, with gas and groceries being the most noticable but just the tip of the iceburg.

I know that I for one have become much less loose with my money and have downsized expenses where possible to stretch dollars further. Vacation will definately be camping and fishing near the home base. At least for now I am hanging in there but if prices continue to rise while my paycheck doesn't somewhere something will have to give.

I sure am glad I do not have two or three kids at home to need to provide for anymore! How are things looking in your area and is the economy causing you to have to change?

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you aint the only one. with the gas prices it looks like i'll have to save up to go fishin. im lucky when it comes to my 2 sons. my ex is with a fella so its a group effort with the costs.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,it ain't good here,I live in an already economicly depressed area,the mean wage here is 24,000 a year,I made less than that last year. Almost makes me long for my old job running around the country paying rent on one end and mortgage on the other ,two grocery bills and pullin down 38,000. ...Hmmm NOT. Life is tight now ,but much simpler that I'm HOME.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother Bill, it has had an adverse affect on people in my market area. The furniture factories are closing down and/or merging with other companies and this affects the wood workers and those furnishing fabric to the furniture companies. It appears that the blue collar worker has been hurt the worst.

We in the fishing industry in my area have seen a major impact on our business, which is due in part to the past drought and current economic conditions. But, most of the fishing guides do not depend on our fees from fishing as a steady income source, but from part time jobs, social security and retirement benefits.

The housing market (upper end) has not been affected, but the first time homeowner is feeling the pinch.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I live in east tennessee. I am seeing a lot of families loosing thier homes. The banks won't give an inch. I had two friends loose thier homes after getting laid off. When they missed thier second payment the foreclosure started. both had thier homes paid to less than 30,000. Both homes were worth well over 100,000. These banks are mercelless
    Personally I am just staying home more. Don't owe anything thank goodness. Am seeing most food items drastically more expensive than before the gas gouge. I bought a deisel now it is the highest fuel on the market.

6. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well its pretty much put a damper on life here, i can hardly afford to drive my truck to work everyday, on the weekends i dont drive it at all, we just use my gal's car to go places. Companies around here arent wanting to give pay raises to make up for the higher cost of living which is making it really hard to pay rent, buy food, clothing, etc... Im quite sick of all these problems revolving the high oil prices and crookid politicians.

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I guess living in one of the poorest states I dont notice it as much as some other people.

I am out of work but by choice I can go back to a number of the hard labor jobs I am used to but I am waiting for better.

I have 3 kids and my wife is helping out by working for peanuts at Dollar General.I am fortunate enough to have my vehicles and home paid for maybe thats the difference.

All we can do right now guys and gals is do like Joe Dirt says and Keep on Keeping On...

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I find myself using more savings coupons now, where before i wouldnt bother. I wont buy gas at Mobil, Exxon or Texaco.

The one thing that I found the other day at a local station was they still offered free air, when I needed to add air pressure in one of my tires. That was a big positive in todays economy.

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    well i'm in the airline industry and it has sucked since 9/11. still a good job though. i am making around 1$ an hour more than i was 10 years ago. figure in inflation (excluding food and energy prices because the gov. doesn't include that in the core inflation rate) and my monies buying power has decreased 35%. my wife teaches 3rd grade. we don't run around town as much and i fish close to home. still can't complain the Lord has blessed me in many other ways. but around here we haven't had the massive appreciation then depreciation in home prices. so we don't hear much about foreclosures in the local market.

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well i deliver building materal and the constrution business is gone here so I feel the pinch but before I go down I will go back to frieght even if I ain't home every night I will pay my bills and feed my family

11. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    well around here we are losing a lot of the better paying jobs, steel plant shut down and re opened with less than 1/2 the work force, gm plant cut down employees prolly 30% and several other buisnesses have shut down, i work at a new car dealer and it has been touch and go that last few years, im glad all my kids are out of high school and only 1 left in college if we still had 6 at home it would be trouble, lots of forclosures here too, i dont see it getting any better real soon at least till after elections and that will depond on if there is a change and the one candidate offers no change for the better the other two at least are talking changes

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There are a ton of families losing their homes around the Pittsburgh area, it`s sad .

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    We are fortunate enough to have our mortgage as our only long term debt. Our rental units are not doing real well, but we have them mostly paid off so all is well. With gas prices as high as they are, my dad and I don't drive around the area scouting fishing spots as much as we used to. My wife and I have a baby on the way, so we haven't been eating out as much as we used to - trying to save what we can.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It's bad here in SC like everywhere else. We were blessed to have accumulated property in WV. Unfortunately, we had to sell it as gas prices escalated, and it got too expensive to run up and down the road. Fortunately, we are now 100% debt free, but there is still not much "extra" money lying around. I expect everyday to see folks starting to snap, losing their homes and all. I really don't know what our future holds, but out faith in the Good Lord above will take us through this crisis. All that being said, according to statistics, if you have spare change on your dresser each night you are still richer than 85% of people in the world. We just need to learn to adapt to change, and do things differently than we are used to.
    Bill in SC

15. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I am a very lucky man. I have a very understanding wife who has been working at the same job for the past 30 years. I am employed with INA USA and we are running 7,24. Things slowed up around here in SC a couple of years ago when almost all the textile plants closed down. Thanks too the Good LORD that we have kept the manufacturing jobs around this area. I have had to watch the way that I spend a Dollar. Only live 2.5 miles from my job and less than 2 miles form the PEE DEE RIVER where I do most of my fishing.Don't eat out any more try to say a dollar any way I can. All we can do is keep on PRAYING and keep on trudging that hard road to happy :big_smile:destiney.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Greg. I have friends who work at INA. I live in Bennettsville and fish out of Cheraw occasionally. We'll have to hook up sometime.
    Bill in SC

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The economy has not hurt me yet, but that could change at a moments notice..I work at a factory that makes auto parts, and the fear of a lay-off is always there.

18. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    My taxidermy work is still booming. ONLY because I have had to finance alot of work for several outdoorsmen. I do cater to some of the highend clients and that helps alot. But I can see effects from it. People used to come to my studio in Dually's and high end 4wd trucks. Now I see 4 cylinder cars more then ever. A year and half ago a 70+ acre farm was sold across from my house. They had intentions of putting over 200 houses there. Well 6 has been built so far.

We hvee decided this summer we gonna bite the bullet and change our oil fired furnace out for a Heat pump system. At 3 bucks+ a gallon for heating fuel and a 250 gallon tank on automatic refill. That hurts!
    ~Teddy

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was doin updates on ethanol plants, price of everything so high, spending all money on corn, no remodeling. Been laid off since 4 July, ain't got no savings left, and slim prospects for other work. Slow time of the year for my other job, but it may pick up now after tax time. Just ain't doin nothin. Somethin wrong cause I called another guy, he got property but can't get the county to do what it needs to do so he can get a building permit to build.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well I'm keeping a few more fish, planting a bigger garden, and I'll be hunting a little harder this year. A freezer full of wild game and fish and a pantry full of canned vegetables from the garden sure does help the budget.