how hard is it to turkey hunt w/ a bow?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by WhoJosh, May 2, 2009.

1. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    this will be my first year turkey hunting and our family rule is NO GUN HUNTING UNLESS HUNTING WITH DAD, so ill be hunting with a bow. i was wondering how hard it is to take a gobbler with a bow? and should i use some artificial cover to try to keep the turks from seeing me draw my bow back?​

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    In a word YES.

It is harder to shoot a turkey with a bow, but not impossible. I have a pop up blind that works out really good for bow hunting. I scout the birds to see the general area that they are using and set up in a open spot that they are using, close to their roosting area. Set some decoys up at your best bow range, 20 yds is great. Not too close but a chip shot with a bow. (Not saying it is easy to hit a turkey with a bow, especially when the heart is a thumping) If you don't have a blind then just use the stuff around you, and remember~ Turkeys do not screw around so you must make every movement count, that is why the blind/homemade blind is so important. Good Luck

3. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I agree with Jess,
    I take turkeys every year off my place, I either use the pop up tent blind or i've also got perminent black plastic 2 man blinds that stay sit up all year. I use a crossbow myself, due to a medical condition, but i love hunting with it. I'm not a serious about it as most, because i use it as an excuse to go down to my land, but you need to hide your movement,
    or all the best calling in the world can't bring'm in if they know your there.

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Hard but not impossible. One tip that I can suggest is that if you are not using a blind, you need to sit on SOMETHING. I like the challenge of not using a blind, but I sit on my blind stool because its really hard to draw while sitting on the ground. I try to find an area with a big tree behind my to break up my outline, and a smaller tree directly in front of me to hide the movement of my draw. If you can, try practicing drawing on jakes. The first year I started using the bow for turkey, I drew on 5 different jakes just to get the hang of it and iron out any wrinkles with the way I was set up. I was never busted by the jakes, but boy did the ol long beard bust me half way through my draw cycle. Thats when I started using a tree in front to hide the draw. If your using regular broadheads, the best points to aim are right at the top of the beard if he's facing you, try and pin the wings together if he's broadside, or right up the ol poop shoot if hes facing away and strutting. I usually back my bow off to between 50-55 lbs for turkey, that way if I get a broadside shot, I wont get a pass through and its hard to fly with their wings pinned. Also its a little easier to draw this way and you can hold a little longer if he catches some movement and your only halfway drawn. If you use carbon arrows and shoot em through the wings, expect them to eventually snap the arrow trying to get the wings to beat. Also if you use regular broadheads ( I use the same Muzzy's I do for deer) and not one designed to take the head clean off, expect them to either run or fly off a short distance. Usually you should be looking at around 50 yards at most, although Ive seen em go up to 125-150. Its important to watch em for as long as possible after the shot because the feathers really soak up any blood that gets out and without a passthrough your really limiting the blood that does get out so its key to keep an eye on em. Sometimes all your gonna get is a few feathers within the first 20 yards or so and then nothing. Also remember that if you drop your draw weight and/or switch broadheads, make sure you get out and fling some arrows to fine tune your sights. Even a 10 lb change in draw weight WILL change your POI and could be the difference between a dead bird and a wounded one.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Excellent points DieselKat,,,
    I don't use archery equipment for turkeys, but, years ago, I remember some of the guys saying they used something on their arrows to help prevent passthroughs... I want to say maybe a little ping pong ball or an empty shotgun shell with the arrow shoved through it,,
    anyone ever heard of that??

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Never heard of any of that Snagged. I would think that would play hell on your arrow. You would need some HUGE vanes to stabilize that. I know that there used to be some broadheads produced that had a collar/shaft on them that went back about an inch or so and then it had some claws that faced forward, almost like a judo point that was designed to eliminate pass throughs. Not sure if theyre still made or not, my uncle has some, maybe Ill check with him on the name brand. There are also broadheads made now that have a razor point on them and then forward facing blades with a little hook. They look meaner than a snake.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    they have those little collars that you can put on before the broad head to prevent pass through. They have spikes on them. I have also seen the turkey specific broad head that range from 4" razors sticking out of them to the NAP cone head

8. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Thanks for all the help, hopefully i'll be able to harvest a turkey this spring.

9. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. You've received some very good responses to your question about hunting turkeys with a bow and I agree with them all. I invite you to go to my spot here on the BOC and read my newspaper column of 2 weeks ago, it's about turkey hunting with archery equipment. I think you will enjoy it. Recent rainfall in central and western Texas put the hen turkeys in the nesting mode, I am told by my biologists buddies. That should equate to much more activity during late season. I have a LATE season hunt planned for an article next week near Eldorado in Schleicher County. Hopefully will have another newspaper article on the subject soon. Good hunting to you! LC