how good is the shovelhead fishing in the rio grande

Discussion in 'NEW MEXICO RIVER TALK' started by katkiller77, Jul 20, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    how good is shovelhead catfishing in the rio grande near
    Albuquerque

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Honestly,Rick, I have no idea,not even sure if they're there. The farther north you go upstream,the more the Rio is a Trout stream.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i dont know what part of the river he fishes but my nephew is from alb. and he catches cats in the 20@30lb range all the time
    he has called me several times in the middle of the night telling me about his catches

4. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
  5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    rio grande is probably one of the further west river system to have the shovelhead in it naturally people forget about this river usually is it the ohio Mississippi or Missouri river that draw most of the attention but i am sure the rio grande should have 50 or even 60 lb in it rick

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have heard of flats in the Gila also from locals around Deming. Don't know if theyre there or not tho.

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I don't think they are there. I fish the Rio Grande about 5 miles above Albuquerque almost daily. I catch alot of channels and blues and even some brown trout. My friend was fishing at the Bosque del Apache Preserve south of Albuquerque this weekend and he caught a 45lb Flathead, It was amazing, he was using a live sucker. I was surprised because the river rarely flows over 4ft deep, and often can get down to just inches except for a few deep holes (9-11ft)..

8. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've heard stories in the past about big Rio Grande cats down from
    Elephant Butte to El Paso. As a kid we used to fish around Anthony, NM but nowdays the water level is extremely low and the access to the river is restricted. Anybody know of some holes in that area leave a post, just looking for some info.