How fast does your sinker sink?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    A fellow BOCer and i were discussing if you throw out two sinkers of the same type but two different weights does the weight of the sinker actually make it fall to the bottom faster or slower. our conclusion i will not state because i want to hear what everyone else says.

One of the reasons we considered is that if you drop two identically shaped objects from a given hight at the same time they will hit the ground at the same time. example would be a tennis ball and a bowling ball dropped at the same time will hit the ground at the same time. we also took into account that the larger sinker would have a greater surface area creating more resistance on the way down. to name a few of the thoughts that led us to our conclusion.

thoughts????

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A bigger sinker will sink faster. Just my thoughts I have no math to prove it. Some call Charlie from numbers.:smile2:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    A 1 ounce sinker verus a 5 ounce sinker form six foot dead fall will be the same ... It'a about ten feet pre second. That's like asking what fall's quicker a one pound bag of buck shot or a one pound bag of feather's ? Try dropping a bowling ball and a 1 pound weight at the same height they both hit the grond at the same time.

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Curcuit is something else to think about.
    I've watched 16 oz. sinker and bait float.

1 lb.of buckshot would be the about the size of a golf ball.
    1 lb. of feathers would be about the size of a pillow.
    Now we're talking mass. The buckshot would fall faster.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If you had to jump out of a plane and were offered a choice between a big parachute and a small one, which would you choose?? Shouldn't matter right, you weigh the same with either 'chute on?
    Bet you would choose the big one!!
    A pound of lead and a pound box of feathers would not hit the ground at the same time if they were dropped far enough for the effect of the air resistance to be measured. BUT, if you took a pound of lead and made it into a sphere and another pound of lead and made it into a cube and dropped them, the differences in their moments of impact would be almost impossible to measure even though a sphere has less resistance than a cube.

The depths we are talking, the rate of decent of lead weights of the same weight but different shapes would be difficult to tell apart but there would be a difference. And vise-versa, same shape and different weights....wouldn't be able to tell either.
    Here's something else to ponder, take two 1lb chunks of lead. Chuck one in the lake. It would sink right? Of course it would. Now, roll one out into a very thin sheet and make a little boat from it. Would it float...it's still a pound of lead after all???
    ...W

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Winston, this is right up your alley.

You do all that high speed modeling :wink:

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    But my reserve is a little chute.. :smile2:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Me and you need those 3-toppers from the Apollo program to get our big butts to the ground:smile2:...W

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF U DROP TWO DIFFERANT WEIGHTS OF SINKERS IN THE WATER, YOU NOW HAVE THE SINKERS FIGHTING THE DENSITY OF THE WATER WHICH IS GREATER THEN THE DENSITIY OF THE AIR.
    JUST MY THOUGHT

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that is exactly the line of thought that brought up the debate. we were discussing sinker weight in a current and the actual usefulness of a extreme change in sinker weight to get the sinker on the bottom faster to decrease the amount of line drift before the sinker can catch/hit the bottom. obviously the amount of current and other factors play. so to simplify it we sparked a debate on my previous questions dealing with still water.

11. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    If you're just talking about two weights dropped in the water, that's one thing, but you're talking about on your line with a leader and bait, which is a totally different story. The line and especially your bait is adding resistance to the setup, and you have to take the entire setup into account when thinking about the speed. The biggest factors are your weight and bait. Basically your bait is going to act sort of like a parachute for your weight. The difference between a one ounce weight on your rig and a two ounce weight is basically the same as one hundred pounds or two hundred pounds under a parachute. All other things the same, a heavier weight will pull your rig down faster, but there is a point where it's not going to make enough difference to matter.

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    we know that in space to object of different weights would float the same, without gravity. now when you drop something in water the fluid dynamics would offset the laws of gravity. surfface area, angle of entry, speed. say you had a 4oz flat drift sinker and a 3oz bank sinker, two different shapes. how would water effect the fall on these surfaces. would one flutter and the other fall strait? resistance on the surface of these items would cause different reactions. what about current, a flatter surface would tend to fall with the current where as a bank would fall true. when you add fluid dynamics to an expriment of gravity, the laws are affected by the details.

13. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I want to say that bouyancy would effect it, but if one sinker is lead and the other say, tungsten, what difference would it really make? Beats the heck out of me. :confused2:

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks for the replies guys, but we are talking of two identical types of sinkers just the size and weight are the big difference. it's much simpler a question then what you are reading into it to much. for example a 1oz bank sinker vs a 4oz bank sinker. the two sinkers hit the same body of water, in the same spot, at the same speed, at the same time, which sinker will get to the bottom first.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well id say if they are tied to your line the 4oz if they were just the weight by its self probally the same time.

16. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the lighter one will sink faster...mass slows you down in water!!!!!!!

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A Abu Garcia with 30# mono.....

As my level wind goes across it drops out 11.5 feet of line...this is my basic way of knowing depth when I'm dropping down rods in. So if I'm dropping down to a certain level I count how many times it goes across....you do have to let out a little more because of the boats speed which makes a angle= a little more line. I watch the graph and see my line and its always close to exact ( I don't have line counters )

I know for a fact that a heavier weight of the same type drops faster from the thousands of hours on the water dropping them in watching the line and counting ; )

Drop two of the same exact lines in at the same time ( same type reel set the tension knob the same, with different weights, then stop them both at the same time. Then look at your graph and you will see the heavier one is down further than the lighter weight.

Or at least thats my story and I'm stickin to it, LOL ; )

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If someone cares to play with the math you just might get your answer here: (We'll have to assume our lead sinkers, of differing sizes, are spherical)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_law

:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

19. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    good post skipeye, but im not going to lie it is over my head.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What I could gather.....before my head started hurting.....is that the heavier sinker will hit bottom first. :eek:oooh: (Actually, the same is true in air if a long enough drop distance is used, the only time that two objects of dissimiliar size (mass and density) will fall at exactly the same rate is in a true vaccuum, where drag is removed from the equation)

Seems rather complicated for such a simple question, but a GREAT question.:big_smile: