How fast can a 1980's 7hp go

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TX Fisherman, Apr 24, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    about to buy a boat, it comes with 7hp motor i think its from the 80's he claims to have just rebuilt it, about how fast u think it could take a 10' jon boat?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    tex,

probably about as fast as a 10' jon needs to go. i used to have a 14' fiberglass boat with a 5 horse on it. that thing was slow as christmas but it got me fishin'. one of my buddies has a 12' jon with a 7 horse evinrude and it wont plane off but it will turn on a dime. it might be about twice as fast or maybe 3 times as fast as a good trolling motor. congrats on the boat though.

j.d.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you mount it on a boat made of 1/4 inch plywood and about 8' long, it'll about fly. Otherwise, don't get in any hurry

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What I would be concerned about with a 10' jon boat is having both the motor and me at the same end of the boat. I used to borrow a friends 10' jon boat to bass fish, and with me sitting & sculling on the front of the boat, with no motor of any kind, I didn't have much freeboard left. My dad & I both got in that boat, sculled out about 30' and came back to shore, where we rented a larger boat.
    Incidentally, just after I moved back to Arkansas, I fished the F&G lakes and the Arkansas River with a 14' jon boat and a 6hp Mercury.

5. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    my dad had a 14 foot alumacraft mod-v with a 7.5 johnson and it went about 15 with me and dad plus gear in it.