How far would YOU travel to catch a flathead?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fourteenfootcat, Oct 25, 2005.

1. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    For a Trophy Flathead during the winter months, while your state is covered in snow and ice?

I'm interested in your responses. I think I need to go to visit my relatives in Arkansas and go after some big cool water flatheads...

How far would you travel?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If my state was covered in snow and ice, I'd go whether there were trophy flats there or not :) But yeah, if I had a realistic shot at a trophy and got to warm up to boot, I'd go pretty far.....

3. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont see why not.....its a shot at some trophy cats. JMHO

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Depends on how bad I had it. It would also depend on if i knew the area and could get on fish but you asked how far. 1000 miles maybe.

5. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Money is my only setback. If I had the cash to spare I would travel alot of different places all the time. Canada for giant channels, I would also call Gator and ask him if I could do some shark fishing with him. I guess I would get on a plane and go to the end of the earth fishing if the choice were mine. Abu

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    As I am here in Germany, I have driven as much as 8 hours one way to fish for a week. We have also road as bus, then a ferry and then bus again for 42 hours to go fishing. The distance is not a question, but the funds are always a question. Wherever I can fish is a place I want to be.

HOPPY4

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    As mentioned budget is the primary concern. Can't just pack up and go when the urge strikes. LOL! And trust me its hard to fight it at times. I try and tie in fishin with vacation time. Also it isn't always about the fishin,its about the time spent with folks ya don't see that often. The fishin is a bonus.

8. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

if my social security check was double,and my wife was able to go back to work,i would travel any where.only fly in the ointment she would want to
    come along,which i would like but for me to go she would have to work.
    i guess i aint going nowhere. :D

9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I've drove 7hrs for a shot at a trophy.I recommend staying for 3 days or so.I drove for a 1 day shot. :D

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Most of My travel money is earmarked for upland bird hunting here in Kansas its supposed to be a great season. but if there were no birds I would drive 4-5 hrs to get into big fish. gotta catch or kill something on a regular basis or I get pretty grumpy it's my therapy just ask My wife, she sends me out when I get cabin fever

11. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Since I live in a state that gets snow and ice covered in the winter months, there is no limit to how far I would travel for a shot at a trophy cat during those months. I have been know to travel 8 hours for a weekend of cat fishin', so If I had a great destination offered to me (and funds available) I would travel the globe. :D

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If I could afford it I would go a 1000 miles

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    If I could afford it, I would travel ANYWHERE needed.

Since I CAN'T afford it, I'll just stick to the waters round these parts.

14. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    i would go as faras i wanted but i had times i would drive 80miles to fish a day and catch big numbers of cats then decided to drive back oout the next week and it was opposite only snappers for a week

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I travel once a year to Keystone Oklahoma for a gathering. 650 miles one way. And normally don't catch a fish. LOL When I was growing up in southern California my dad and I used to drive about 250 miles one way on a Friday night, fish til mid-day Sunday and drive back home. We never caught a fish over 5 lbs in all that time. We did this many, many times throughout the year. I'd drive as far as necessary if the reasons are right. Specially if I were meeting someone from the board for fishing and socializing.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As far as it takes.
    My dream location on the old board was South America.
    If I could, I would like to fish just once with all of my brothers and sisters here on the board. Now if it happens that I get a sudden windfall, all I can say is; make room on the couch! lol :)

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    It really wouldn't matter much to me because I once traveled 15,000 miles to fish for shad.Thats right SHAD!!!!Of course it was an all expense paid trip,which included all meals,and someone else paid for it so I'm not sure it would count here.I enjoyed the trip and the fishing was ok but I didn't read the fine print.No one told me that the inhabitants of the country would be so unfriendly!!!!! The SOUTH Vietnamese (VC) thought I shouldn't be messing with their shad so they shot at me whether I was fishing or not.The NORTH Vietnamese were even worse.There were so pissed off they travled 100s of miles ON FOOT to shoot at me.Not content to just shoot at me they dragged Mortars,Rocket Launchers,Artillery and even sent tanks.The shad fishing was so good in SVN the the North Viets took over the country just to make sure no more American shad fisherman would poach their shad.Lots of people thought the Vietnam War was about politics etc,it wasn't.It was about shad fishing.Its not like I was using the best equipment either because all I had was a PRC 25 radio antennae and some line and hooks from a survival kit.So no matter how far you plan to travel make sure the natives are OK with you fishing for their fish.They were probably pissed because I was a better shad fisherman than they were.I mean the whole war could have been averted if they had just simply opened a thread "How do I catch shad" here on the BOC and let the brothers help them out.

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL Jim, anyone ever tell you that you're crazy!! LOL That's funny.

19. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    JIM....
    Everyone ought to read your response that you did right there. That response should be in the BOC permanent library as the all time funniest bull-carp answer to a harmless question ever posted!

5 stars, 3 clover, a blue diamond, a yellow moon, and a leprechaun skin rug to ya!

LMAO

THANK YOU

SAL

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    WHAT????? I thought everybody knew!!!!!!! Thanks guys