Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stuck this in Local Indiana Talk cause that's where I am ...

Question: ... how far would you travel by truck (that's what I drive) to fish for one day?

Thinking about making a 4 hour one way excursion with the blessing of my wife (not sure if this is a trap or not).

Is 4 hours one way just cabin fever expressing itself or is it do-able or a waste of time?

8 hours in the truck in one day seems like a lot of driving for a few hours of fishing.

Maybe I'm trying to talk myself out of it! Hahaha.

·
Banned
3,022 Posts
Depends on where I’d be fishin. I’d drive a day, fosh a day, and drive back for the right spot.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I’ve made the same drive to Cumberland City several times myself and it’s about 5 hours. I regularly drive 2-2.5 hours one way to fish for a day and drive home. Gotta go where the fish are (or where you know how to catch them)!

·
Registered
328 Posts
It depends on how far and how good the fishing is far away AND how far and good the fishing is close by. If the fishing was really terrible close to home, I would drive 3 or 4 hours each way, but I would schedule it to spend as much time there as possible. If the fishing was slow, but still able to catch good fish close to home, I would fish close to home and wait the fish out. I have spent hours in the winter throwing a net and ending up with very little to show, so, if Cumberland was only 4 hours away AND the skips were being easily caught and I had no frozen bait I would definitely drive 4 hours each way to catch bait. Like MetalMan says:
"You have to do what you have to do!"
The James River and Kerr Lake are supposed to be GREAT fisheries and 4 hours away, but I have never
gone (except to fish the Ice Bowl) because 1 hour away are 2 better than average lakes; Baden and Tillery. I still plan on going to the James and Kerr; but only when I can spend more than a few hours there.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
You can always catch two fish on one pole. That's a saying. Same as two birds one stick but cooler cause it's about fishing. And what I mean is if you just happen to be going somewhere might as well have your fishing pole with you. Like for Christmas I was in Tennessee visiting family and got some fishing in. So even if I wouldn't drive the five hours just to go fishing maybe you could find another reason to go too.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,080 Posts
Out here in the "great white north", our rivers and navigable small rivers are few and far between. From Eastern sd to Missouri River have minimum, for me, 110 miles. That is sioux city to yankton area.

Straight west we can hit the Missouri reseroirs and that is 150 plus. There are many lakes but they are full of pleasure folks in summer.

Still want to go to Mississippi this summer, 300 miles. Sides that got very good friend that has a Mississippi ramp out his back door.

Usually try to make them at least a two day trip.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Not too far if you are enthused about going, I have made several eight hr. drives, spend the night in a motel, duck hunt until late afternoon the next day then eight hrs. home. As I age the distance I am willing to travel for sporting adventure seems to become less and less. If you are enthused about the trip, the wife don't mind, and it will help get you through the cabin fever go, make sure you let all us less adventurous guys hear about the great fishing you had. Good Luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have to drive 1 hour 15 mins to closest lake with a population of bluecats and flathead which is lake Tillery, Kerr is two hours away, Kerr is a much better than Tillery for Blues so I've almost stopped going to Tillery. Also the yadkin chain lakes can be tough with no current, I've been skunked numerous times on the Yadkin but never at Kerr. I drive it almost every weekend, 4 hours round trip.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am lucky that to catfish I can get away with a 10 minute drive most of the time. Sometimes we make a 50 mile run to a different section of river. It is not uncommon for me to drive an hour or two for a day of fishing and home. The longest I have ever done was a 3.5 hour drive to canada, fished 10 hours and drove home. LONG LONG Day

·
Premium Member
11,241 Posts
Ok Paul, your going to have to spill the beans. We need dates and places. My guess is, if your not wanting a frozen dinner, you are heading south.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live 5 mins from the river and it is ok to decent fishing, the reservoirs are 1-1.5 hrs away and offer decent fishing. The more I travel the quicker it seems I get there. I think when I hit the 2 hr mark it will be time to start camping and fishing. If not this summer it will be definitely be the next summer. eventually I will eventually make it past the state lines. So thinking about it I don't think I have a limit on time just as long as I get to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts