How far would you crawl for a Tom Turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by swamp stomper, Oct 9, 2007.

1. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    Years ago I was huntin off the Chatahooche River in GA. and on the second day in a row flew down close to the river and would never come up the hill so stalked to the edge of woods were it droped off in a series of steps down to the river and down bellow me is a Tom in full strut I slid down onto a tree and called and watched there were two big toms and a bunch of hens they had trapped in a ravine and I watched them strut and breed the hens for half hour I couldn't take it any longer and had to try something I had seen it done on TV I belly crawled and as I went I would stop and yelp and scratch. By the time I got the edge where I could see down I had crawled 40 yds.!!
    I raised up with my shotgun to my shoulder and lukily right in front of me was a tom broadside and all I saw was rope hangin down! When I shot there were more turkeys than I thought about 12 flew up as one. But only one stayed and was on the ground 10.5 beard and 1.25 spurs! My back hurt for 3 days but it was worth it!!!!!!!
    SS

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Travis,

Sounds like you are re-living the stalk(s) from sniper school! :smile2:

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
  4. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    yep, as far as it takes, the 3rd turkey i ever killed, i crawled atleast 130 yards thru briars and honeysuckles, in the rain. had to put my backpack down, and my turkeyvest, it was just me and my gun. awewsome hunt, my most memorable yet.

5. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    only from the front room of my home to the refigerator:smile2::smile2:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not near as far as I have crawled for a Budweiser. LOL