How far will you drive?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bigfish18, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    How far will you drive to catch Mr Flathead?
    Local hole or far, far away?

I plan on making 6 to 8 trips to the Kansas River this year. Its about a 2 1/2 hr one way drive for me. Just wondering if other folks go out of their way to catch Mr Flatty.

Cody

2. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    it takes me about 2 hrs to get to the colorado river,

just had to live in the desert. only good cattin close by with out all the people.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    10 to 15 minutes to get to my various honey holes.

I drive 30 minutes tops to get to the rest.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Closest lake from my house is about a hour drive. I plan on fishing Stockton and Truman this spring and that will be 2 or 2&1/2 hrs. I don't mind driving or buying out of state lie. if I can catch some fish. Just takes awhile to figure new water out so i usually stay for a few days when i go.

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I drive 5 minutes to my local spots, but I also drive 1 1/2 hours to the mighty Ohio river at least once a month.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    its 2 hours in any direction to catch flats of any size but i have been known to drive 8 or 9 hours 1 way for a chance for a big one.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I fish all over all the place.When I cant go far I fish her in town which is at most 15 minutes.I fish Winfield and Ark City which are about an hour and Kaw Lake which is about two hours. I will drive pretty far to fish just because I like to see new places,especially rivers.Hoping to make a trip or two up to the Kansas River this year myself.I have never fished it before.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of my fishing is done an hour drive or less from my house. MTL is about 40 minutes, and Mo. River is between 30 minutes, and 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on where we put in. I like to go to Warsaw a few times a year, and that is 2-1/2 hours away. I don't have a problem going farther, but have no reason to normally.

9. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i will drive any length . i think there is a lake on the schedule this year that is like 400 miles away and then if we compete in the king cat in Henderson KY on the ohio river thats even further i think it just shows how much one team or person wishes to fish

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i have 3 nice lakes with in 10 min 1 with in 15 then to get to any other good ones its 30-45 min but the missiouri river is the honey hole for me and its 1hr out. so really it depends on how much time i have the more time i can get on the water the better.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dont travel like i used to. damn gas has cut my fishing area in half!!! :angry:

12. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Fox River is where I usually fish and that is only 15 minutes from my place, but a few times a year I will travel farther out to the Rock River. This year I may even venture out to the Mississippi, we will see. Just can't make the longer trips with any regularity.

13. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Have fish-will travel. If i fish local its only 8 miles to the landing. Will travel as much as 6 hours to get to my honey holes in the Cooper river. No distance is too far to wrestle with a MONSTER BLUE or those gorgeous FLATTIES.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cody,I drive 8.5 hrs to catch blues in Kerr res. in OK. Flatties are there too ,just aint got any bigguns ....YET.

15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Got some good channel and flat fishing 45 mins from my house, but I'd rather travel 2.5 hours and tangle with the kitties in the tennessee river than I had anywhere. Used to fish Santee at a 5.5 hour haul..... got over populated, no CPR practiced and just got fed up with people anchoring so close water would splash on ya when they threw out. i love my TN River!

16. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ive driven to the arkansas river a couple times with a buddy its about 23 hr drive but hes from around there

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i am lucky the further i had ever driven was an hour and 3omin to parts of the great miami and hour to the ohio river near cincinnati plus the various places like eastwood lake huffman dam close bye usually 20 to 30 min tops for me with a great river like the great miami river close bye not to hateful rick:smile2:

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my spots are 1/2 hr or less from home.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My local ramp is 3 minutes from the house with the "quickie" spot a 10 minute boat ride, or my favorite section is a 1/2 hour boat ride. The lake I fish is 1/2 hour from home but the ramp I put in at is 1 hour. I will travel 1 1/2 - 2 hours to travel to the Ohio river 2-3 times per year, and once a year I would like to take a 9-10 hour one way exursion to a trophy location. I travelled to Truman and the Mississippi last year, LBL area in Kentucky two years ago and headed to the James next month. I also want to make Henderson, Santee Cooper, and Pickwick before this lifetime stops.

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I sure would if I had to, but I am lucky enough to have the ohio river, and many large lakes right in my back yard basically...:roll_eyes:...I guess I lucked out on that one..