How far will Flathead catfish spead when they are invasive species in a river system?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by readingcatfisher, Jan 22, 2009.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I was wondering if anyone had any input how far they would travel or spread in a river system as an invasive species?I asked the Fish Boat Commission and the guy said he is sure they are in my area just not in great numbers just 30-40 miles downriver they(flatheads)have flourished and grown in numbers.After there are so many in an area in a river system don't they spread out? It does appear they are moving up the river closer to my area there is one dam in the way but it is half way breached and scheduled to be completely removed this year so that helps my cause as well.I am looking for any definitive answers on movement and/or spreading of these fish.I am very hopeful I won't have to drive an hour to find them within the next few years:wink:

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    My guess would be as fast and far as possible depending on food sources.

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    are they saying they are territorial ,Id think they would spread or move according to the food source, but im no expert

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim, I dunno how far you are from Blacky. But, he posted a thread on here I think last year about how your state was telling people to throw them on the bank because they were multiplying like bluegill in the SKY.. So chances are they are there or coming! LOL.. If you get too many, and you guys are getting two or three per cast on sabiki rigs give me a call.. I can bring the Ohio tribe over to help you all sore mouth em alittle! :roll_eyes::wink: rollo

Man I wish they were like that here!!!!!!!! I need to move.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I agree with Rollo there on there way and they will spread far as they can swim and multipy in great numbers as long as there is food.

6. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Great thats what I was hoping to hear they are actually coming from 2 directions from Blue Marsh downstream and from down towards Blacky and the Philly guys up towards me! Alright I feel like doin a touchdown celebration dance over here!!!!!!:smile2::smile2:

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Great thats what I was hoping to hear they are actually coming from 2 directions from Blue Marsh downstream and from down towards Blacky and the Philly guys up towards me! Alright I feel like doin a touchdown celebration dance over here!!!!!!:smile2::smile2:

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Game commission said in their area killing a few fish wouldn't even help remove them,they are in there to stay but if I were to see one closer to where I live it would help to keep an invasive species out but I said I release everything he said he understood .But I'm happy eventually they will be here,a few minutes away thats great news!!!!:smile2::smile2:

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If they can get thru that dam and any others downstream then they will be in there. And it shouldn't take long to establish a population. Just takes a few years for them to get to 20,30, 40+.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm 100% positive that they are in your area. Agai, you just have to put away the livers, bluefish chunks, and Canadian nightcrawlers. Literally every spot I have fished in the non-tidal Skuke I have came up with a flathead.

The natural migration pattern of aflatheads is swim upstream during the spring. They are in Blue Marsh, the state record was caught in the spillway, so there is no reason they aren't there.

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We catch them in the extreme northern part of this lake to well up the river. We have 60 miles of river above the lake before the first dam blocks it and I would think they will spread all the way up to that dam. One thing I've noticed though is that we never catch any down in the main lake. They seem to prefer the river.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    me too . <<<<< big post lol

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Tan the Game commission guy said to them it appears the flats seem to like the river better than the lake so I guess they are either leaving the lake or hiding really well because he told me they couldn't find any in the lake it was very hard to do their study but he did say he was sure they were in the river system here not confirmed of course but opinion and also moving up this way from down your way as well soon it will be overrun with flatheads here too ,that is the day I can't wait for.I now have the right rods and reels and other stuff I need to use the right baits now too:wink:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Flatheads are river fish. They are not intended to live in impoundments.

Put in some time and pay attention to details and you should get em.

15. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Thanks I'm gonna be where more fish are but when the bite slows I'll try in my area eventually I'll take more and more time in this area putting in time and effort trying to get one the closest confirmed spotting of a flathead besides Blue Marsh was only a few miles down the river from me,heres an interesting link for youhttp://pserie.psu.edu/seagrant/research/FCFTechicalReport.pdf

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Jim, I don't know what kind of baits you grew up using or what you prefer now. But you will not catch flatheads without live bait. Yes if you have a log jam and cast a cut bait under it you may catch one or two. You may even start a whole craze like we have here on the Scioto LOL. But day in and day out you will catch more on a nice live shad,gill,bass,crappie,channel,bullhead whaterver is legal there.

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I never even tried gills I just got the right gear I needed I wasn't even aware that they were possibly in my waters now I know plus I'll be goin out with Lenny a few times in proven waters but like I said now I have the right gear :wink:it was more a question of not having the right stuff to target flatheads like proper hooks strong enough rods and reels and line but I now have everything I need to get it done

18. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    It takes ten years in the northen states for a Flathead to reach twenty lbs.

19. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    heres an idea so you can keep track of the progress keep a journal of the fish you catch.

1. date
    2. weather conditions
    3. bait
    4. location - general description of the area, structure and so forth

this way you can track the movements of the mighty flathead progressing into your area.