How far up the Mighty Mississippi River are blue catfish found?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by vince, Jan 7, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Wanted to know how far up this Mississippi Blues are found? None in Minnesota that I know of.

Thanks Vince

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Vince I can only speak for the areas I know. There are plenty in Illinois - Missouri. Above this line I do not fish. :0a18:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If bull sharks have been found up to St Louis, I imagine blues are futher up than MINN. Just may be few and far inbetween.

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
  5. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I believe the DNR tried stocking ST Croix river many years ago and that river connects to the Mississippi but nobody has reported catching a blue...

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I visited that site and find this ironic...
    Disabled veterans - $31, lifetime hunting and fishing combined license.
    Prisoners of war - $31, lifetime hunting and fishing combined license (habitat fees must be purchased annually).
    Yet Patients of substance abuse facilities can fish for free:

~~~~~~~~~~
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. (Fables Aesop)

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I lived in MN for a few years and catfished the miss and the croix pretty hard, never pulled in a blue or heard of anyone catching any either. But I am sure there are a few in there.

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Below Fort Madison,Ia is about as far north as the blue cats run in any numbers. I fished a tournament there a couple of years ago and below the locks was where any were caught in any numbers.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The patients can go on a supervised field trip, procure a permit, and fish for free that day. Not every day that they wish for the rest of their lives. You surely don't expect patients to go buy a permit for one day of fishing do you???

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not too long ago I was in Mississippi for some training (Air Force). In my class was another feller who was stationed in North Dakota and had been catching blues from the river that runs along the border between North Dakota and Minnisota (the Red River?). At first I thought he might be mistaking some larger channels for blues, but he was counting the rays on the anal fin so...

Yes, they do live that far north, but maybe some man-made structures are keeping them from getting back to the waters you are fishing.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure, but check with ur local DNR office. The Mississippi River do have blue catfish.