How far south?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by saltydog, Aug 10, 2008.

1. saltydog

saltydog New Member

State:
    PA
    i live in erie and want to catch a flathead. how far south do i have to go to hook into one? does french creek hold any? does the upper allegheny hold any?

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You have to fish below Tionesta to get flats in numbers.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I agree with Zeboman! Your best bet is to travel down to the navigation pools. :wink:

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I fish in warren, which IS the upper alleghany - so I feel your pain!

local rumor is that Tionesta is the furthest north you have any real chance for a flathead catfish.

there was a catfish tournament a little while back out of oil city. Supposedly some very nice flatties, caught. When I go to oil city, I will be prepared to catch flatheads.

I wanted to add, that I've seen a couple of inquiries about catfish in french creek and some of the locals thought there were few catfish in french creek.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    SE PA HOLDS A GOOD POPULATION OF SHOVELHEADS

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    now that really IS a long trip, tan.:smile2:

I've done some bigger driving to go fishing- but Erie to Philly is about as far as you can go in PA....

In case you've not traveled across the state before - Erie to philly would be an easy 400 miles. 7-8 hour trip. I could look it up but I know I can't afford the time and gasoline to get to SE PA.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Jason,
    I'll trade you a week in Philly for a week in Erie during steelhead season.

And yes, it's about a 7 hour drive.

2 different worlds too.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Don't know about French Creek (if you are refering to the State Park), I would doubt it. Blue marsh has some in. A record Flat was caught below the dam after flood water release in 2006. I also a gentleman fishing next to me the other day said he has caught one in the upper end of the lake but didn't say how big it was. So, I'd have to say that if two were caught there has to be more. Finding them is another story, it's a rather large lake for this area.
    Hope you can find some closer to your area.

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    No, Nate would be referring to French creek, a small river system in Erie, crawford, and venango county.

Nate and I live about 80 miles apart.

Blue marsh is again on the other side of the state and would be a very long drive. I've gone several times south to meet BOC brothers along the alleghany and there's a good, healthy flathead population down there.

My personal advice is to let some of the sarver folks know you want to join them. They are great guys. Maybe you could find flatheads, a few miles closer; you would still spend trip after trip trying to figure out the best place. They've already Done that! they know where to go and they're outfitted for the big boys. Wherever you decide to fish for them; post it, so I can learn alittle from your experience.

since you live closer to me than nearly any other active poster; I'm very interested in any success you may have.

10. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    I live in just outside of Philly and make the drive to Pittsburgh and Detroit quite often. It is about 325 miles from my house to the western state line about 275 to Pittsburgh.

I make the drive to Pittsburgh in about 4 hours pretty easy. If you are thinking of heading to Blue Marsh Lake (Reading) it will cut off about 1 hour.

A long driving to a fishing trip is better than a good day at work... Good Luck.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I just made that drive the other day.

I76 at Washington, PA to Philly is about 260 miles.

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    You the man!!!

I find it hard enough with a wife/kids/work/chores to make it to templeton/sarver (~85miles one way).

In fact Sometimes it is just hard to find anytime to fish at all! Even locally. At any rate, we all must agree that if distance is NO big deal; there are ALOT Of options.

if distance, time (and money) meant nothing- I think I'd fish outside of PA for catfish ; there's friendly people here that would prob. fish show me around a little. (The ultimate would be to use a guide)...In the midwest rivers; a 35# flat isn't even all that big!!

its all about Nate wants to do.:cool2:
    He's hoping for someone to chime in that has caught flatties actually local to Erie. So Am I!:smile2: But I really doubt it.

Nate, How far do you think you would go for them. If you have to go 80-90 miles will you still fish for flatheads, or only fish for them occasionally, or will you completely give up on it.

Erie does have some pretty incredible channels... There's 20# monsters in their for sure. Not too many flatheads get bigger in Western PA...

BTW
    just for grins I checked the distances
    it is 130 miles to Reesdale (lock#9) of the alleghany.
    it is 60.5 miles to oil city ; confluence of french creek and alleghany
    it is 60.7 miles to tionesta; further north

You'd almost certainly find better flathead fishing in oil city than tionesta

13. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Blacky

Let me know if you want to hook for some fishing we can meet somewhere halfway... just let me know.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I rarely fish outside the city limits of Philadelphia. I'm too lazy to drive. Besides, everyone knows that the big yellers live in the Hood:big_smile:.

Scott,
    Where exactly do you live? You seem in be in Montco or Chester Co? If you are anywhere near the Schuylkill, you're in prime flathead territory. To be honest, there are no spots on that river that I haven't caught a flathead. I've caught them in the tidal section below the art museum, up Kelly Dr., all along through the Roxbourough/Manyunk area, Gladwyne up to Spring Mill has produces a few monsters for me. Did very well in 06 around the Conshy area up to Phoenixville/Monte Claire. I have even caught them in the Perkiomen.

Like I said earlier, it's all about putting your time on the water, experimenting, and WAITING THEM OUT.

GOOD LUCK!

15. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Blacky,

I probably don't live far from where you do, I live in Ardmore Rt 30 and City Line area. I have been looking at the Schuykill on Google, I was thinking of looking around behind the condos that burned down yesturday.

What type of rig do you use when you fish up and down the river, I know you said about 6 ounces near the dam, is the current p[retty strong in the areas that you fish as well.

Are ytou familar with the slack pool in Valley Forge, could you pass along directions?

i appreciate your help.

16. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    Well damn Scott, you are closer to the river than I am! Conshy is usually a good bet for some flatheads. That area can be pretty shallow so look around for some deeper spots. Keep in mind the original river channel runs along the west bank of river.

For normal river fishing I use a 3 oz disc sinker on a fish finder rig. Traditionally I have used 7/0 Kahles but I've been experimenting with big circles and braid lately. Theres a lot of ways to catch em, and it really just requires time on the water to figure out what rig works best for you.

17. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Romo,

I am going to look for some acces points along the river this weekend, any reccomendations?