How far passed the back of your truck can a load extend in Ohio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kitsinni, Feb 14, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an extender that you attach to your tow hitch that has a bar that extends four feet passed my truck bed. I use it for carrying a kayak. How far passed the end of my truck can a load extend legally?

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im not 100% sure but as long as you have a flag on the back noone has ever stopped me!

3. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I got stopped with a 16' plank on my ladder rack with 4 1/2' sticking out. He told me the rule was 4'. I then asked how much allowed out the front, he said no limit, as long as didn't obstruct your view. However I carried a buddies 16' jonn boat in the bed of my dodge dakota with at least 8' sticking out with a cop behind me for 25 miles and he never gave me a second look. Depends on the cop at the time and his mood.

4. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well here in greene county its 3'. with a red something on it.

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I used to dispatch trucks that delivered steel and contruction materials and our drivers and outside carriers always kept it under 4 feet anywhere in the state though i guess some counties might have other limits that supercede that.

6. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.09+

4513.09 Red light or flag required.
    (A) Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear four feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle, there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the times specified in section 4513.03 of the Revised Code, a red light or lantern plainly visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the sides and rear. The red light or lantern required by this section is in addition to the red rear light required upon every vehicle. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than sixteen inches square.
    (B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.
    Effective Date: 01-01-2004

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good info

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for that link. I have not found anything that specifically says your load can't extend any distance as long as you use the red flag/light and it is secure.

Can county laws trump Ohio state laws?

My kayak is basically a canoe shape and is 14.5 feet long. My bed is 6 feet and I have that extender that would grab it at 10 feet so there would be another 4.5 feet off the back of that. that is quite a distance off the back of the truck. It would be completely secure though. I wonder if I get a red light and a flag if I would be ok?

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    One thing to keep in mind is can somebody behind you see your tail/stop/turn lights on both sides. Not sure what would happen if somebody rear ended ya. Don't know if a lawyer could argue obstruction in court. could get messy.

Just something to think about.

10. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i just wanna know when this was written and who uses a lantern to do this unless its meaning a lantern that i dont know about, someone please correct me on this...:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

11. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    just wanna know when this was written and who uses a lantern to do this unless its meaning a lantern that i dont know about, someone please correct me on this...

well i would surmise that it was written somewwhere around 2004
    due to the effective date.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

maybe it includes the amish or mennonites in eastern oh/penn or farmers who knows.

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I think that 4' is the max with a red flag. Last week I found a 12' 2x4" on the interstate ramp. Just to keep someone else from having an accident, I loaded it on my truck with a 6' bed. Between a crossover tool box & a rubber strap I got it home with no trouble & no flag. :confused2: