How far have you shot a deer with a Shotgun?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by robster, Sep 23, 2007.

1. robster

robster New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So how far have you shot a deer? with my shotgun I have a confirmed kill at 130 yards. Of course my shotgun is a Remington 1100 3" mag with a hastings paradox 6 groove rifle barrel and I was shooting brennike golden 3" mag

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    H20_Mellon,

Report to this thread!

You are getting that new 1100, looks like you got some competition now! :smile2:

Reading this, I would now go with the 1100 :wink:

3. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a Remi 870 smooth bore and my best in about 110 yards. shooting 3 inch sluggers

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the only deer I got with a shotgun with a smooth barrel & slug was at 15 feet. It was my first deer. in from behind one shoulder and exited infront of the other. It did a front flip, busted off the one side of its rack in the ground and expired. short tracking job, long drag (3/4 mile).

Attached Files:

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    100yds ted williams pump 12 ga 2 3/4 remington copper solid poly choke improved cylinder I think the barrel is 32"

:eek:oooh:

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I killed one at 135-140 yards.I'm not real sure of the disstance because there was to much brush for me to be able to pace it off but going by how far the slug droped it should be about that far.(Yes I can pace a yard) I was shooting 2 3/4in 1oz Winchester slugs in a scope mounted 500 Mossberg with an 18in cilnder bore barrel.I held the cross hairs 4-5 in above it's back and made a heart shot.You guys can keep your 3in Mag slugs and I'll stick with my 2 3/4 in 1oz WW slugs.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    only shotgun hunting ive done was on a small ranch in texas where they only allowed shotguns.had a rem.mod 1100 in 20 gauge with scope.longest shot maybe 80 yards.i think it would have been on out to 100 to 125 but cant say for sure.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a Mossberg 835 with a hastings barrel with leopould scope. I have tried ever fodder on the market. I would not trust this gun past 75 yards. I seen my neighbor one morning take a shot at a deer with a 20 gauge with slugs and after the "firefight" was over I crossed fence and said what the hell were you shooting at? He said didnt you that big buck? I said the one that was 150 yards from you? He said yes. I said come over to the house I want to see something. We had coffee and he came over I put a bulls eye at 70 yards and I said I bet you 50 bucks you dont even hit the paper. 5 shots later he got lucky. I said now where do you think you were hitting at 150 yards? He told me he had chores to do and lefted.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i also have a mossberg 835 ultimag (great minds think alike) and i wouldnt really trust the rifled bore past 75 yards. not that i wouldnt shoot at them from 500, i just wouldnt expect to hit them. my longest shot on a deer with a shotgun was actually using single 0 buck shot while running dogs. the deer was around 150 yards off and running flat out, i looked at my buddy and he said "it only takes one pellet in the right place, what the he!!". sure enough the deer folded up one pellet in the neck. looking back that was a horrible decision, but what else is youth for?

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Without a rifled barrel, yer shooting a musket. I like 50 yards at best, or less.
    75 yards is me really wanting meat in the freezer, light breeze, standing target.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    You guys can bad mouth my smooth bore all you want but I know what it will do because I spent the money to find out.I must have shot 150 slugs through it from 30 to 200 yds so I would know where it shoots.A Winchester 1oz slug shot from my Mossberg 18 in barrel drops 3 feet at 200 yds but I've hit a paper plate at that range and wouldn't turn down a shot at a deer that far away.Years ago I hunted with a handgun in 357mag and I shot it all the way out to 150 yds Do you hunt with a rifle? have you ever shot it at long range like 300,400 500 or even 600 yds? well I have and I know it cost a lot of money to shoot that much but at least I know what I can do with my guns.

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have only taken one deer with a shotgun, so my longest shot has been about 20 yards. Until the last few years, I have only taken my 45 LC out hunting, and before that I only hunted rifles.

13. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    You guys can bad mouth my smooth bore all you want but I know what it will do because I spent the money to find out.I must have shot 150 slugs through it from 30 to 200 yds so I would know where it shoots.

BadKarma IMO hit the nail on the head. You have to pratice and shoot alot to know where your bullet hits with differnt ranges and also different types. I know that the only round I am confident in is Remington sluggers. I have tried Winchester and Federal slugs and they will not shoot as accuratly as the Remington Sluggers. With Remington sluggers I have a shot group with a smooth bore of 2.5 inches at 100 yds.

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    for the record i aint bad mouthin' nuthin'. i cut my teeth on a smooth bore remington 870 wingmaster shootin' slugs. and i respect the fact that you have invested the time and money to be confident in a 3' drop on your trajectory. me personally, i dont trust my shotgun out past 75 yards. because, i live in a state with a very liberal rifle season, i dont really hunt deer with a shotgun anymore. if i want a challenge, i pull the ol' mathews off the wall and sling sticks at them. but, to each his own i reckon.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think the question was how far have YOU not someone you knew shot a deer with a shot gun. But hunting for over 40 years hunters are like fishermen/women. The fish started out at 5 pounds and grew to 50, the same goes with shots on deer. I have handloaded and been a student of ballastics as a hobby for 20 plus years. Now to the guy who takes shots at 200 yards you might want to take a look at a ballastics chart again, but more importantly energy when a bullet hits a object at that range. You maybe able to hit a paper plate at 200 yards but when you make this statement you are giving people who have not taken the time to become familar with their weapon that they can also do it. But I do have a question for you how do you know you are holding 3 feet high on a deer?

16. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My question is, Why would you want to take that kind of shot on a deer or any wild game? There is no way you can be positive of a killing shot if it is hit. Personally I prefer to make my first shot a clean killing shot. Besides that you can barely see the animal and admire its beauty before you take the shot. Not to mention what is the challenge in a hunt like that? That isn't hunting that is sniping! I hunt with a muzzle loader, and I prefer shots under 100 yards. If the animal is coming in I will let it come watching its behavior and beauty. If it is walking away from me at more than 100 yards, I will let it go for another day.

Iowa has always been shotgun only till the last 2 seasons. I have seen many deer cripled, or laying dead in the woods after the season because a hunter decided he could take a 200 yard shot, only to find out he wounded that deer bad enough for it to run and hide well enough that they couldn't find it but hit bad enough to lay and die. I see it and wonder how long that deer suffered? No thank you, I will stay with my short distance shots, I can see where the deer is hit, I can see where that deer goes after he is hit. I don't have to wonder if the deer ran off some where and died. I know he is dead.

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jim, I don't think anyone was bad mouthing ya...if ya thought I was it sure wasn't my intent. My slug gun is an ol H&R single shot with iron sights. And I got the "old man sight" thing going on. I can't see a 100 yard reg target without it being a lil blurred. At 50 yards I can shoot 3" groups, but at 75 yards it opens up on me to 5 or 6". I used to be a lot better with a pistol also, but now my 25 yard groups are usually 4 or 5"s. It probly would be in my best interest to start "scoping" now. My eyes just don't cut it anymore.
    Getting old always comes at a bad time. LOL.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my 'farthest' shot on a deer with a shotgun was 40 yards. i was shooting a modified choke remington 870 mag. heck it's the only deer i ever shot with a shotgun... load was 000 buckshot in a 3 inch remington shell. two pellets hit the doe in the shoulder maybe 2 inches apart, and one pellet laid right up against her neck bone. out of 10 pellets i expected more hits, but i guess it's a loose pattern. i don't know. only other big animal i shot with buckshot was a hog at 20 feet. he bowed up on us when we drove up to scare them out of the peanuts, and i damn near took his head off.

19. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love shotguns as they are so forgiving of us blind old folks. I shoot thousands and thousands of shells a year. My prefered choke is improved cylinder and 99 % of my shooting is under 35 yards. I dog hunt in a buckshot only county so I have no experience with slugs. I do know that 00Buckshot at 20 yards is pretty effective.

20. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Ok guys maybe I'm living in the past because I ain't fired a shotgun in years.My spine is so messed up that I'm afraid a 3in mag shell fired from the sholder would make a quad out of me.2 times I've killed deer shooting from the hip but I was meat hunting and that's no way to hunt unless you have to and I don't because I don't have kids to feed anymore.These days I don't shoot anything but a 22RF and handguns.My father never owned a rifle he was a shotgunner and he was good with one but he died when I was 15 and I've spent most of the last 40 years trying to learn about shotguns what he wasn't there to teach me.I never was much of a wing shot but I got very good with a combat shotgun using buckshot or slugs and have killed a lot of deer with both.I'm in a wheelchair now so I haven't hunted in years and I guess all I can do it try to teach my grandsons what I have learned.