How far down the James River are the catfish?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by south_va_fisherman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    How far do the james do cats go? i live in isle of wight county and i know the tributary creeks of the james are full of cats. down here the river itself is 5 miles wide(near the james river bridge). it is very brackish too. it hold many saltwater fish. i was just wondering if there would be cats out there. thanks

2. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    On a regular basis ive heard most anglers target blues down to were the Chick meets the James. Im sure though when the water salinity is low from rain you could find them a lot further down river.

3. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    There will be catfish in those tributaries.

I have caught catfish around the ghost fleet several times....in fact I got my worse "fin stick" to the hand right there in front of the ships...bugger got me good!

I know people who have catfished around the rocks in front of the Surry Power Plant too..

4. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I know people who have catfished around the rocks in front of the Surry Power Plant too..[/quote]

I know people catch cats there all the time. Do you know how to get there from the Chukatuck area? i know how to get to hogs island, but where are these rocks? thanks a lot

5. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    also i can see the ghost fleet from the brige. how can i get there to fish? haha i feel stupid, lived here all my lfe and have no clue how to get to these places. thanks

6. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    There's 4 ways I know of to fish the ghost fleet....all by boat.

They're too far out in the river to fish from shore (obviously).

1) Tyler's Beach. This is the one we mainly use and in my opinion, the best option...best to get there early in the summer months though, parking lot fills up fast. This is located off of route 10...it's slightly down river from the fleet.

2) Lawne's Creek. Again, off Route 10 and the mouth of the creek is just about even with the ships

3) Rescue or Battery Park...I can't remember which one it's called but it's a ramp that's down river from Tyler's beach....no clue how to get there, I went there once 15 years ago.

4) The James River Bridge.....it's a nice little ride from the bridge to the ships but it can be done.

They used to let you fish really close to the ships but since 9/11 (actually before then too) they started cracking down on that. There's a patrol boat that makes it's rounds every so often and will ask you to move if you're too close. We used to take a 16 foot starcraft in between the ships and catch stripers that had corralled/cornered baitfish between the ships and were just boiling the top of the water. It was so cool...like I said, now you can't really get close enough anymore....but you can still fish near them and they're pretty cool to look at. In my last few trips I've taken to jotting names of the ships down and coming back and doing internet research on them to get their history. Pretty neat stuff. I was just reading where this past Tuesday at 9am they towed the USS Vulcan out of the ghost fleet for scrapping.

Anyways, in regards to fishing the rocks around the power plant, I've never personally been there but my dad went this past year. You have to get out at the gate and armed guards will come and inspect your vehicle...including opening up the doors and checking inside. Then I think you're cleared to go on the property and I'm sure there are restricted areas to fish from the shoreline.

7. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks a lot for the info mike. you seem to know the area really well. where do you do your catfishing?

8. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    I only know the area well because I grew up croaker fishing out there. I have been fishing that part of the river every summer for almost 20 years. My father (and grandfather while he was alive) would take me out there just about every weekend and we'd load up on croaker and spot....plus my father and I used to fish for stripers around the ships.

Anyways, I don't really catfish that much....hopefully ya'll won't hold that against me :) I just enjoy reading about anything to do with fishing in the local area. I am more of a bass/crappie/striper/croaker/flounder fisherman than anything else....although I do enjoy catching catfish every now and then. I have never tried to catch any of the large catfish we have in the James though.....the biggest I've ever caught was only 6-7lbs and that was by accident on a spinnerbait. I do have a friend taking me out on the 6th to the Dutch Gap area to finally get me one of those big bruiser cats. :)

9. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i dont catfish (fish?) much either, mostly croaker/spot and bass/crappie.

10. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    The ships area is a great place for croaker fishing....not so much spot (they got really elusive over the past 10 years).

I see you're from Southern VA....I went to school at Longwood College and used to fish Briery Creek just about every afternoon....skipped many'a'class to get out there and catch the evening bite lol