How far do you travel to fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oahegw, Jul 3, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I am so fortunate to have a feeder creek that goes into the Missouri river that is only 4 1/2 miles from my house.

How about you? How far must you travel? Does this put a crimp in your fishing due to time and gas prices?

What say you?

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    7/10 of a mile to boat ramp.Tennessee river
    smokey

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    yeah it kinda puts a pinch on me sometimes.. I have to travel at least 25 miles one way to get to a small lake here and 40 miles to get to the river where I like to go.

Every now and then I'll plan a trip to the Arkansas River which is 1 1/2 hours from me to either dam that I go to.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll travel within a 50 mile radius..Doesn't bother me..I'll go where the fish are..

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm actually quite fortunate to live within 10 miles of Lake Barkley and some excellent catfishing. If I want to chase Big winter time stripers....I'll drive 60 miles one way.:crazy:

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I do most of my fishing in the Arkansas River about 15 miles from my house, but I will travel 50 to 100 miles to fish with family and friends when funds allow.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    18 miles to my fishing spot on the red river. 200 miles to the missippi. close to 200 to the arkansas river. but a man has got to do what he has got to do. :wink:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I got closer spots, but i prefer an area of a slough to camp fish, launch and hunt. All is free (which is rare in Cali).
    38 miles one way:wink:

9. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i'm within walking distance of the lake but the river is about 15 miles away

10. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Usually only a few miles, about 5 to the dam spillway, 7 to a hole down from there, 4 to the lake, 5 to a stocked state lake, and less than a 1/4 to several other good holes, guess I'm lucky in the fishing aspect of life.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    3 to 8 miles depending what ramp I want to launch at. 100 miles to Markland at the Ohio river.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depending on the day of the week, anywhere from 30 to 50 feet...:cool2:

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm ten miles from my favorite lake and less than forty miles to the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Sixty miles from the Tenn and Cumberland rivers, Kentucky and Barkley lakes. Have boat and will travel.

14. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Distance is not an issue with me. If I want to fish there and I got the time and money I will go. At the present time the lake I frequent the most is 79 miles one way.

John

15. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    I think I'm pretty fortunate. I have a nice little park lake about 1/2 mile from my work and about 5 miles from home. That makes it easy to get at least SOME kind of fishing in almost any time.

My favorite spot on the KY River is about 25 miles away. Also belong to a sportsman's club with a small private lake with plenty of bass, gills, and shellcrackers...that's about 25 miles each way. It's about 80-90 miles to my favorite spots in Louisville/Clarksville on the Ohio River, but my wife likes to shop and I like to hit Bass Pro so we don't travel there JUST to fish (I make that trip every 4-6 weeks or so). My spot on Lake Cumberland is about 95 miles each way. Also belong to a sportsman's club with a small private lake with plenty of bass, gills, and shellcrackers...that's about 25 miles each way.

When the gas prices really climb I may not travel to some of my further spots, but between the park lake and a multitude of KY River spots within a half hour of here, I can almost always get out to fish SOMEWHERE. Heck, if I have to decide between digging my own worms and walking the 5 miles to the park lake or not fishing at all, I'll get my shovel and walking shoes out.:wink:

16. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    For the most part I fish the Allegheny River and I am very fortunate in the fact that some of the best spots on the river are 15 minutes (counting lights, stop signs and traffic) from my house. A lot of times I do make the 45 minute haul to Lake Arthur, but that's just for bass, stripers and lunge.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I Live in San Leandro, Ca.(S.F./Oak. Bay Area) - and for me:
    " No fishing water is off limits in the State "! :0a23:
    :wink:lol
    In April of this year, I took a train ride down to the Mendota Gathering in Freasno, Ca. & in June of this year - I took a flight down to the Blythe Gathering in Blythe, Ca & at the end of this month I will take another train ride down to Fresno, Ca. to the Mendota 2 Gathering.
    So you see - I will do my share of traveling to get to the fishing spot,
    especially if there are good people at the end of my trips, (and there always is).
    :wink:

18. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    never watch to how many miles but usally bout 20to30 mins to my spot

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    most folks think im a crazy man.i make 3 to 4 trips a year to port oconnor texas 8 hours 1 one way.10 0r more trips to gatherings from 4 to 9 hours 1 wayand a lot of 2 to 4 hour day trips to the arkansas river.i like to fish and i have a lot of friends that i like to fish with.only thing is they are a long ways off.i meet them 1/2 way and spend a day or 2 fishing.im retired,ever thang i own is paid for so i spend bout 400 a month on gas going some where fishing.

20. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    got the ocean an launch ramp 3/8 mile away.. but to get some decent freshwater with out going to the shit pay lakes...20 mile or so away, I drive 4 to 5 hours to the Central Valley or down to the Colorado river at 4-6 hrs away... lots of gas money....