How far do you go for 3-4 hrs of fishing, like after work?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Norm, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    I have to go at least 18 mi. to get to a good fishing spot on the same river that runs through my city. My city is about 24,000 and has 2 boat ramps on a small creek (Yellow Creek), but no boat ramps on the river that runs through town, the Pecatonica River. The river has more than 10 mi in town without any open access. I cann't find a good spot to fish on the bank within the 18 mi radius. I have go about 40 mi to fish on the large river, the Rock River. I'll fish from about 6:30 PM to about 10 PM. The largest lake near me is only 40 acres, and it is very, very heavily fished.

To get a boat ramp on the Pecatonic River in my city, they have to do a toxic site cleanup of an old battery manufacturing factory. So sometime in the next 2-3 years, we may finally have access to the river.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hmmm.... I live 5 minutes from the ramp of one of the finest flathead fisheries in the state and I travel 20 minutes to 2 different rivers and 1 hour to a lake and I am going to go 1 1/2 hours south to fish the other end of the river i live on! Plus, I have 2 boats, and this year have fished from shore 95% of the time.... Geez! what an idiot I am LOL!

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I run one hour just to put my boat on at the ramp. Then I have some holes that are holding bigger size cats that I run 45 mins or so just to get too.
    funny thing is when I started doing this alot my buddy said I was nuts. But then they started catching them blues over 20 lb and now they are right behind me on the road.

4. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Got three nice lakes just 10 to 15 minutes away (JEPCSF&WA). Also have one (pond) right at edge of town that 10 lb channel are common and carp over 10 are mostly caught. We return all the fish for someone else to get ahold of and have some fun.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    about three quarter of a mile to a pond to fish, then three blocks farther to get home. Not the best fishing but close and ok with me most of the time. Friday nights ridgerunner and myself go about three miles to fish and end up a mile from home as the crow flies.

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have to go about 18 miles to get to the spot I fish on the marsh, but my buddies have about a 30 longer trip. It is hard for me to find good fishing spots. That is all about to change in a couple of mounths. I am moveing to a new home and the pond is 40 feet from my back door and it is well stocked with catfish. Also I will be about 5 miles away from a park and boat ramp on the red river so I will be able to go out after the big ones. The benifits of retirement will be able to fish any day of the week at home and go to river on weekdays and miss all the hassele of other people being out.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    the time of year really comes into play for me.

If it's a time of year that many other fisherfolks are likely to be in the area, then i will not drive far after work. If it's more of the "off-season" and i know i will not have to endure "combat fishing", then i have driven 2 hours, one-way to fish for a couple hours, then 2 hours back home.

fishin for me is as much the joy of being "out there" as it is catchin

cyas
    rc

8. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    We put the boat in the Mississippi at a ramp 1 mile from home.
    For days when we're out for more than 6 hours, we'll drive to some other boat ramp anywhere from 6 to 45 minutes away. (maybe 10 ramps within 35 miles)

9. About 70' out my front door.

10. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    15 minutes, but if I'm meeting up with friends, sometimes 70 miles.

11. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Even though I live on the Kansas River,I drive to a state lake over in Missouri.I only nitefish and 95% of the time I'm the only one there.This way I can catch cat's & take-in God's creation that surrounds me.Next time you're on GOOGLE type in 'Watkins Mill State Park' and you'll see what I mean.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    About 15 minutes away to my "honey hole", if I count the time too load gear! Was'nt that many years ago there were many more places close by, but the farmers got tired of the garbage!

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't just sling mud at my friends.... I am a Democrat :big_smile:

14. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    John,any houses to rent next to you?

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Whewwwwwwwwwww! lmao!

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It's 35 to 40 minutes to where I keep my boat on the river. Then depending on where I end up going on the river itself could add another 20 mins or so.e

17. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Sorry to hear that
    I live less than a mile from a boat dock where they pull
    30lbs PLUS cats out of

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    17-24 minutes, depending if I need bait, or gas, if I want some Sobe for the ride, and if I have to go get my one buddy. If I have to go get the other buddy of mine, then it could be 45 minutes. He lives next door to the one guy I go pick up but he always waits till the last minute to go to the bathroom before we leave and it seems that the word "fishing" triggers his dump-button. It drives me mad. I havent taken him but once this year for that very reason. I even cal him and tell him to get on the can now cause I gotta get all that other stuff, but I think that as sure as the word "fishing" is his dump-trigger, the idea of my eminent departure from home creates the opposite effect, until I pull in the driveway.

19. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    i live in st louis... enough said

20. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Norm,

I know it's late in the year, but don't despair my friend. There is a ramp on the Pec in Freeport. If you know where Hancock St. is, you head south from E. Stephenson St. (Rte. 75) and cross the river on an older bridge. Right as you cross the river, you turn right onto a gravel lane back into the old grainery barge. There is a nice concrete ramp right there on the left bank where you can launch a boat. The river is navigable in this stretch, so if you have a flatbottom boat, you're in business. I've been fishing the Pecatonica since I've been a little kid, and there are some great fishing opportunities on that river. You just have to be willing to go find them. I hope this helps!

Anthony