How far do Catfish travel?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by centexcop, Jan 21, 2009.

1. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    How far do you think Catfish travel? I'm guessing that when they're stocked, it takes a little time to find a good spot to hang around, but when they mature do they stay in the same general area? I know that water temp is going to have alot to do with it, but in that case are they just going to change depths or find a warmer or cooler part of the lake? Do you think they have boundaries and they just swim around in the same areas? I've watched fish in an aquarium and some of them will swim the same path over and over. There's lots of other places in that aquarium that they could go, but they stick to the path until something comes in and disrupts their routine.

2. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    BTW i'm not talking about travel via boat and ice chest... :eek:oooh:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Catfishes movement will be determined by a lot of factors.

1. Water depth and conditions
    2. Temperatures
    3. Thermocline in the warmer months
    4. Whether it is a lake or river
    5. Most importantly .... Food source

All these are factors of Determining if the catfish will move very far from where he has normally been living.

Environmental changes will and does affect and prompt any fish to move miles from his normal habitat in order to survive.

Keep in mind that this does not always happen but will happen if conditions require it for the catfish to survive.

The catfish does not want to have to move far from year to year or season to season cause it does not want to burn the energy that it requires to do so. It will seek an area that has good shallow areas and flats for feeding plus will have deep waters near for safety, and survival.

But the main factor for the catfish to determine where to live and breath is of course food sources.

4. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Makes sense, Thanks

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    travel as far as I do if they end up in my cooler:smile2:

6. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    From what I have read, Kevin is right on with his post.

7. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Hey, Joey I know they do move around and depending on who you talk to you will get a variety of answers. Check around some of the local Catfish clubs and major tournament promoters and see who has an active tagging program in place. There is where you will get your best info.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Blues will follow shad from the Tenn. line to Barkley dam and back ! Just had to add that !lol you got good answers already !

9. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    If the fish are bitten im there!!:smile2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats a good question Joey. You would most likely want to narrow your question down to a specific species of catfish, as they have very different habit patterns.

Flathead Catfish tend to hold to relatively small areas, and not wander to far from the area in which they were hatched. Studies have indicated smaller flatheads tend to wander within a few miles, but the bigger fish move very little distances, and tend to lie in wait for there next meal.

Blue Catfish are the exact opposite. They tend to be very nomadic and travel in small packs as they feed on shad and herrings. During the winter times, they tend to school up in large schools in wintering holes depending on where you are in the country. Old River Channels on Lakes, and in slack water on fast rivers are good places to look for Winter time Blues. Tagging studies done in our neck of the woods have found some BlueCats being found several HUNDRED miles from there release point.

So, depending on the impoundment, would dictate the patterns of these great fish. There are a few studies out there if you dont mind googling around and learning the habit patterns of these fish.

Hope this helps a little bit.

11. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Makes sense. Thanks

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dont really know brother good post