How far can you cast

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm often amazed at how many people say they can cast 150+ yards with out throwing there bait off. Not saying it's not possible. I just know human nature to not be very good judge of distance. (Especially at night) I know I can't do it throwing 8oz sinkers and a bait that's about the same.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It depends on the bait I am using, but with cut bait (about 2 oz) that is well attached to the hook and a 4 oz weight I can get right at 100 yards. However, that's only if everything goes just right. I get anything wrong at all and it drops to 80yds or so (and/or a lost bait).

This is with a 15' MH Ugly Stik and Shimano Baitrunner 4500 equipped with 65# test Power Pro or with a 12' H Ugly Stik and Shimano Baitrunner 6500 with 80# test Power Pro.

Also remember that some of these people are talking about competition casting where they don't have a bait on (but then your talking about 200+ yards)

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It depends, how much cut bait u got and how much weight u got on ur line.

4. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    150+ yards just sounds un realistic to me. I only use rods 7'6" though. I dont think I can cast more than 100 yards. I could throw a baseball about 80mph and a football 60yrds in school. I really dont see how someone could poop on my casting distance like that.

5. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With the right rod you can do wonders...

Most people don't want to spend the money for a custom rod, but if you want to get out that far, you will have to get one...

It all comes down to equipment, I know when I got my custom rod I went the football field across the street, tied 6 oz of weight on and stood BEHIND and to the side of the goal post. I cast past the other goal post and out the back of the white line in the back of the endzone... That is over 130 yards...

My rod is designed to cast 12 oz of weight easy, it will do more...

You have to have the right rod, made TO the reel you are going to use on it. Balanced and fit right... To just grab a rod and reel of the wall at the store and be able to do that, it would be slim to be able to pull it off... Math and phys' play a roll in distance...

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im working on my casting. i go down the street to the middle school and use the football field there. most the time i can get around 65 yards with a 10' rod which, even if its not a custom or high end, is pretty sorry. i have about 3 to 6 oz of weight on my line including bait. even when practicing i put on something similar to what ill be using when fishing, such as bait and leader and such. its all in practice. you could hand someone a $10,000 fishing rig and it wouldnt make a differnce if they havnt ever cast before.no matter how hard practiceing can be keep at it, i have a magizine with an ad in it that says "The day you learned to cast is the day you learned to cuss" 100% true:tounge_out:

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Usually right into a good snag!:haha:

I feel that as long as you cast into water, with fish, you stand a good chance of catching something with fins.

Id say the longest Ive ever cast was about 100 yards.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Once again I find it humorous that Bank fisherman get that bait out as far as they can. Some use long rods, others use remote control boats. Then you have the boat fisherman who blast 70 mph upstream 15 miles then snuggle up right next to shore.... next to the road.:lol: :roll_eyes:

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey! That was giong to be my line! But you're right -- I almost always anchor right next to the bank when I'm fishing from my boat...

How far can I cast? As far as I need to, I guess, which is seldom over 30 or 40 yards.

10. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess crazy needs a little proof when he's told something. shad heads and fillets stay on the hook really well if you hook the head through the eyes so the nose will hold the bait on during the cast.... the fillets ya just hook several times through the skin and they hold on good too. hooking a shad through the back will throw off throwing them 20 yds sometimes.

I think mark edwards might have won the national championship but I'm not sure about that ... he's on the BOC and he can confirm or deny this for himself.

Here's the results of my second casting competition ever.

Name Class Distance Place

Neil Mackellow AAA 821.805 Demo Cast
    Hector Hernandez AAA 786.325 1st
    RogerMortimore AAA 784.360 2nd
    Tim Smith AAA 774.220 3rd
    Jerry Valentine AAA 771.575 4th
    David Thomashey AAA 762.680 5th
    Lou McEachern AAA 761.680 6th
    Nick Meyer AAA 745.090 7th
    Richard Liening AAA 707.980 8th
    Dalyn Vick AAA 707.625 9th
    Brett Koppe AA 647.405 1st
    Jesse T.Gonzales AA 642.205 2nd
    Rip Ripley AA 641.765 3rd
    Jaime Valentine AA 640.070 4th
    Skipper Krueger AA 615.240 5th
    Bryan Wadkins AA 397.005 6th
    Roy Richardson B 487.15 1st
    Stephen Gregory B 410.660 2nd
    Steven Ellison B 348.100 3rd
    Del Fankhauser C 354.735 1st
    Larry Jackson C 314.830 2nd
    B. J. Noles Junior 352.580 1st
    Joshua Hidalgo SubJunior 134.190 DNC

click on the picture below and you can see proof of my last casting competition.

if you need more than that I can direct ya to competition casting sites that have results pages from prior competitions.

Attached Files:

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I really don't understand the need or purpose to cast 150+ yards anyway unless you're in a contest or surf fishing. I've been fishing for nearly 60 years from a boat and from the bank an never had the need to cast over about 50 to 80 yards.

12. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i really dont know how far i can cast, the best ive done is about 110yds, and it hit the side of a hotel (hehehe), that was with a 8ft rod, and an abu 6000, with 30lb big game, i also just got a new 8ft uglystick bigwater, spinning, and an okuma niko, im going to put 25-30lb cajun on it, ill tell you how i do with it when it warms up

13. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

that 110yd cast, was only possible (for me) because, i had 3.5oz of weight, and was practicing the penjulem cast.

(yes i know i spelled that wrong)

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    how about this old saying shore fishermen stand on shore and cast as far out as they can and boat fishermen stand on a boat and cast as close to the shore as they can. now if you fish from a boat and from shore do you ever fish from your boat and only be say 30yds from shore? some of cast that far because either don't have a boat or are trying to expand the area we can fish.

i live in delaware and the river is almost 2 miles wide,tidal, and has a mudflat that can extend as far as 200 yds which means when the tide is out there is as little as 2 feet of water that we can't wade because its like quicksand.

15. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    is that uglystik model#bws1100? if so i love that rod.

16. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the need is very real for casting over 150 yds ... for those that are restricted to bank fishing it gives them the ability to cover a lot of water ... that's just the least important for me as I fished below dams and if you can't cast further than everyone else and get out to where the open sluice gates are then you may as well have not even went fishing. most average casters below dams can throw about 100yds ... the fishing pressure inside thatdistance is very very great ... there's no fish left within that distance except for a few stragglers once in a while or when the flood gates open and then they'll move out long the edges of the tailwaters so that everyone can catch them ... if you can't throw 150 yds to 225 yds with bait below keystone dam then you're not going to catch much most any day of the year. versatility also plays a big role in what you're able to do in such a high pressure fishing environment ... being able to throw a float with a small shad fillet 200yds is big advantage over everyone else because during the hot part of the summer those fish won't stay near bottom and they'll be right out around all those little streams of water that are trickling down the dam. being able to throw a float up to within 10 ft of these trickles and a 2 ft leader and small shad fillet will pay off in a big way when most of the 100 yarders are sitting there watching you catch fish and there's nothing they can do to catch even one all day long. most tailwaters in oklahoma won't allow you to take a boat within 1000ft of the dam so how ya gonna take your boat up to where the fish are holding or the majority of them ... you have to be able to cast that far or use other means to get the baits up there be it drifting balloons, damboats or trolling motor remote control boats. or being able to cast 150+ yds. hope this explains the necessity.

17. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Im not sure, ill check tonight and let you know, it is the 8ft heavy action, ill let you know

18. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I don't ever need to cast that far anyway. 20-30 yards at the most is all I need. Most of the time I fish from a boat so no need to cast a country mile.

Here FISHY, FISHY.......lol

19. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

The model number is bws1102

20. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey mark
    didn't you win one of the nationals distance casting championship in the last few years? or is that someone else I was thinking of?