How far can you cast?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Sep 13, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Well, I can't picture yards in my head. But I can picture a standard football field at the local high school "100 yards?" ????

:tounge_out: So, can you cast as far as a Football field, when bank fishing?
    and if so, what are you using?

Does it take "Brut Force" to get it out far????

thanks

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    im don't relly know how far i can cast.i would like to hear some of these post myself.but im pretty sure i could cast a football feild with my abu 6000 on a 10 foot rod.:cool2:

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i can cast well over 100 yards with my abu 5600 with 20# cajun line

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i have wondered the same and i have casted all the way across some decent sized ponds but i really dont know how far i could but i dunno about 100yards(300 ft) but if i had a longer rod i could

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tina there is a cast called a pendulem cast (spelling) that I use when surf fishing that increases my casting distance greatly. While it looks simple it does take practice. As for casting with a 7 foot pole 1 ounce of lead and bait I can cast almost a football fiel when needed, with 12 foot poles I can easily split the uprights on the other end and with the pendulem cast add about 1/2 another football field.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Does the bait have to stay on the hook?

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lol. yep ive lost bait trying to heave out as far as i could.
    i dont know the maximum distance i could cast. guess i could put my 6500 on a 10 ft rod with a 2 ounce weight n get pretty far. i do know that my average cast from the bank is more like 50-60 yds and is plenty. while surf fishin you'll need the long distance to get past the 3rd or 4th sandbar, but freshwater fishin ive rarely needed heaving distance.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it does for me. I use a bait called "fish-bites" its very tuff. I also use casting spoons aka slabs, bunker baits and so on. If I am using cut bait, blood worms, shrimp and so on I do not attemt to cast that far, nor do I when lake fishing there's not really a need to, all the long distance casting I do is surf fishing.

9. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol a good mile and a half..just kidding not sure i used to fish a spinning reel and that thing would go further than any baitcast i have and or have had.good luck ladycat

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    100-150 yards for me, got two custom Baitcasting rods, one with Abu 7000 and one with Diawa SHV.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I'ma guessin 35-40 with a whole 10-11 inch Shad & about 45-55 with a half Shad.

:embarassed:

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can cast far enough that it will catch a big one if he out there and hungry. I spose that would be far enough:haha: pk powell

13. Galant02

Galant02 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Ah I might be able to get about 50-60, thats probably about it. I think

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    At least 100. got a twelve foot heavy, penn 8000 reel loaded with berkley 30# big game. Better wear a pair of gloves if you want to keep your finger. Got a 10' heavy with a opus 6000 loaded with 25# berkley big game that'll do the job too.

15. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    As mentioned, I wouldnt worry about distance that much unless surf fishing. To me accuracy is far more important. I can cast 150 yards, but if I cant put the bait on the log jam, or some coverage out from the bank I am not as apt to catch as many fish. getting the bait in front of the fish is the key, and like you will hear on this site, catfish feed in shallow at night, and deep water by day, but the lake or river may drop off fairly quick so real need to be 150 yard out or even 100 as far as that goes. May I suggest getting you a gallon bucket and when you can ring it from 25 yrds, move up to 50 yards, then 75, ect. as you improve your accuracy the distance will come. Hope this helps.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That's good advice. I was lucky with accuracy since I was a bass guy for many years. I do do a lot of surf fishing and that is where I learned to distance cast. I can't have both, I do get close enough though in the ocean. As for freshwater I agree with you and rarely find the need to launch a bait that far. One exception is fishing at a dam when the "do not cross line" is an "country mile" from the prime fishing areas.

17. TA2D could cast a good distance with little effort using a 2oz weight, but I have no idea how far I can cast. 100 yards is kinda farfetched, but I am gonna say 50 yards on a good day with 1/2 oz on a 7 foot rod. Seems to me we need a casting contest here. What does everyone think?

18. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thats a good one, dougc. :haha:

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    Yeah I Can Cast My Abu 6000 On A 13ft Pole Well Over 100 Yards As Long As You Have The Brake Set Right You Can Hit Close To 100 Wit Just Bout Any Ambassador Reel.i

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    the records somethin like 700 ft aint it?