How far can ya sling it?

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Welder, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No BS no LIES. Whats the farthest ya can sail one -- using a tail wind ant cheating :wink:.

Mine would have to be about 145 yards or so with a 20 mph tail wind tossen a single hook snaggen rig, 4 ounce bank weight, 25lb monno, on a 12 ft rod, and a big spinnen reel. That cast got me a 50lb spoon 50 or so yards out in the osage river. Thank God for haven 250 yards of line on the reel.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would have to say a hundred yards using a seven foot six inch abu black maxx heavy action with a 3 ounce egg sinker carolina:0a23: rig with a fillet of bluegill on a 5 to 8.0 kamakatsu cirle .

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've made 150 yds with my 12 ftrs and a 5 oz,50 yds with my lil 7.5 and a 2 oz.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    oops forgot to say on an Abu 5000 winch with 20 pound stren line .

5. festus

festus New Member

Wow, this is a good thread. I've never measured any of my casts, but I'd say about 80 yards roughly using a 2 oz sinker, 17 lb. Berkley XT line, and an 8' Ugly Stick Catfish rod with a surfcaster spinnning reel. I haven't tried casting anything heaveri than 2 oz. The only complaint I have about this rod is they guides aren't as big a diameter as I want, I'm sure that's cutting my distance.

Can anyone recommend a good outfit for distance casting? Something not too pricey. I'm thinking Abu 6500 baitcaster. I have an Abu 5000 and use it for lighter fishing, and it's tough as nails.

I know a former striper guide who uses a $200 Fenwick rod and 15 lb. test braid, and he can throw it across the Clinch River with a 1 oz Wild Eyed Shad. He says his secret is the line.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well lets see official all distance? 758ft with just a 5oz sinker, 699ft with a 4oz, 660ft 5oz off the ground cast, 696ft 6and bait(3in sassy shad) and braid, 511ft 8and bait, and 590ft using a 3oz bluefish bomb. all of these were done with a shimano thunnus 16000f or a shimano big baitrunner. fishing distance? a few years ago we had a 20mph west wind and i hit an estimated 800ft cast using braid and a breakaway rig but before that cast i was hitting 400-600ft casts and was the only guy catching fish that day because the fish were holding on the color change(brown water meeting blue water) but most days depending on what rig i'm using and bait 300-500ft

festus, if you're looking for a distance rod like the one you're using look at an ugly stick BWS1102 its 8ft rated for 1-6oz and costs 70 dollars maximum. i casted a 3oz sinker 400ft using braid and 330 using 15lb mono.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm curious how folks know their casting distance? (Not you Mark. I know that yours are measured in competitions). I honestly have no idea. About as precise as I can get is "pretty far sometimes", lol. I'm an average caster at best.

8. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    I was wondrering the same thing. I can zing 'em out there with a 7 foot zebco med/ heavy rod, a shakespear bait caster (not sure what model), and 65 lbs. spider wire, and a 6 oz. wieght. but I have no idea how far it actually is. almost half way across the kaskaskia on a good cast

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know i have cleared 100 yards by counting gates on the dam while using a 7 1/2 ft medium heavy zebco rod:eek:oooh: skp2000c shakespeare and 65 lb braid and 3 oz weight witha 5 inch shad hooked in the nose
    spillway gates are 30-35 feet wide with about 10-12 feet between each gate and i was casting the 7th or 8th gate...ona verage id say i can only cast 50 or 60 yards though.

i chunked 9 oz with my 10 footer a long ass ways one time with no hook on it lol..no idea how far :wink:

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    To be honest I don't know for sure,and don't need to cast for distance all that often,but I have studied it and tried some distance casting for fun,I know that I've cast a few out far enough to get into the backing on my reel before splashdown and that had 200 yards of braid on it before the backing,but that only happened once or twice with no wind and a aerodynamic bait. Most of my fishing is done from a boat or withing 30 feet of the riverbank,and I just don't have a real reason to throw that far.

11. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    im really not good at judging distances so i really couldnt say. all i know it i have spooled my 6500c3 in mid air with 50# mono. i hate it when it does it though for fear the line could snap with the jerk and i will loose everything. oh and it had a lil joe 12 in weighted slip float 1.5 ounce of lead and a 6 in goldie all on a 11 ft 6in diawa emblem XH surf rod

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    here's an idea for getting an accurate distance. go to a football field goal post to goal post is 120yds cast from one goal line to the other this will give an idea of any distance up to 110yds. if you're going farther than that start behind the second goal post and cast toward the other. now if you're a big hitter do what i do. from my army days i know my pace count is 60 paces for 100 meters(330ft) and every 6 paces is 10 meters so if i hit a cast and walk 126 paces then that would be 210 meters or 690ft. if you want to know what your pace count is go back to the football field and count your left foot steps until you get to the other goal line. now cast whatever you want and get a fairly accurate distance.hope this helps.

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I have flung a 2 oz egg sinker about 200 yards unfortunatly the line only went about 20 yards:eek:oooh:

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lota places ya have things to mark distance like one place I snagg is below a old lock and dam. I know the distance between uprights. Other places I have used a range finder to known points just goofen off when the fishen is slow. I also fall back on range estamation I use in rifle shooting and hunting. I am within 10 yards most the time out to around 250 yards. If ya do alot of bank snaggen, surf fishen ect ya get a good feel on how far ya can put it. I done the football thing one time and was getting around 90 to 100 yards on the snaggen rig.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heads up INCOMMING!!!!!!! --- lol common to hear during snaggen season when ya break off a rig on a sling, poor guys in the boats aka target practic lol

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Don't know the distance but I have thrown a 5 oz. sinker with 2 jigs all the way to the end of the generators at Kerr dam in Oklahoma. Using a 14 ft. fenwick, abu 7000 with 40 lb. test ande.

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My friend had one of those tapes that are on a wheel a few months ago so I gave it a shot just to know for sure....I always guessed before that.

I threw 244' using a 7' mh rod, 6500C3 spooled with 30# red Cajun mono, with a 2oz egg sinker. I only threw it once because that throw went across the yard, across the road, threw the neighbors tree, then almost their window, LOL. I do bank fish but I'm not set up for long distance casting, more for boat fishing down rods or drifting.

But in all honestly, that's without a bait on, the bait is what knocks your distance way down.

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

This is a good question.I,m gonna have to measure a couple this year.I know with about 8ozs I can get around 1/2 way across the river.Guess if I gotta get further,I,ll just go to the other side.:eek:oooh:

19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have never messured a cast before, i know with 50lb BBG i have spooled my 6600 ABU, with a 5oz sacrifice rig and half a blue herring for bait. i reeled about a 1/4 of that back in and figured that to be about the max i needed to be away from the bank and still have a fair chance with a big fish.

20. Badfinger

Badfinger Guest

I live by a golf driving range. My friend works there and on one afternoon I went there and using my 9' med/hev rod using a Abu 7000Ci reel filled with 65 lb. braid I was casting 1 1/2 oz w/a 4" suspending lure (no hooks) the lure was to inulate a shad using a 18" leader. After about a dozen casts I was able to constantly hit between the 225yd and 250yd markers. One cast after taking off the lure using just the 2oz weight I hit just past the 285 yd marker (yes I actually went out in the cart to see where it landed). Of course after being out there for around 50 min or so I can say I have never been that sore before that or since. Personally my hats is off to the guys that do competition casting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009