How effective is chumming, is it worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by seagreen, Jun 24, 2006.

1. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    How important is chumming? I have been fishing a local lake and have been doing pretty well boat & shore fishing for channels. I continue to catch nice eating size cats but I would like to know if chumming will increase the chance of me catching a big boy ( I know they are in there). Will chumming provide me with a noticable difference in results?
    Thanks

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    What are you using for bait? I would suggest using a large piece of cut-bait. As far as using chum, the experience that I have had with it is you seem to get more quantity of fish. I don't see where it increases the size of fish that I catch. I guess more fish coming to the area could mean more big fish. I would consider finding the areas where the larger fish would be more likely to hang out, (brush piles,log jams etc.) and then chum in those areas. Place your chum 10-15 ft. away from these areas to draw them out into the open for your bait. It is easier to keep them on the line, when they are not all tangled up in the sticks. Good Fishing:smile2:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    It'd be worth a try,my luck has been a lot of smaller ones.I'd try a live gill or any live bait-fish to try and get a big one.Good Luck!!!

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have tried chumming and compared it to when I havent done it. I haven't seen a difference. What does work is Fresh cut bait from a fish that is natural to the place you fish, the fresher the better.

5. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    I was fishing the lake the other night and my girlfriends 16year old brother hooked a little bluegill. I cut it up and got a big hit but didnt hook, and I left shortly there after. I'll have to try it again next time out. FRESH FISH here I come!