How early is too early to start catfishing in Ohio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dandaman, Feb 20, 2006.

1. dandaman

dandaman New Member

State:
    columbus, ohio
    Do you think with the warm weather the bite will start earlier? When should I start? I usually get lucky and get one crappie fishing in March but I never actually catfished that early.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    channels can be caught now, just have to be a little patient and be in the right spot. i was shocked last week to see channels biting and caught in 5 feet of water. water was 40 degrees that day.

3. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    dandaman,
    The best thing to do is not stop. They can be caught all through the winter. I have had more luck fishing deep water a few feet off the botttem.

4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I've caught 7 cats and 4 Pike during the third week of January. Next chance I get I'll be gettin after it again. In the winter time my luck is best after a least 2 warmer sunny days in a row.Even though its been chilly for the last 2 weeks I'm gettin the fever real bad, time to go again!

5. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    dandaman, I forgot to mention I'm about 50 miles north from you so I bet we fish the same waters. I fish mainly Delaware and Alum Creek.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Channel cats can be caught year round, but I dont get excited about it till april

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, It was warm a week or two ago, but It's been down to 3 degrees her ein Dayton recently. I must admit Catting isnt #1 on my mind right now, my catfish mind feezes at anything below 32 degrees! :)

8. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    hey ohio guys, you been catching any bait lately, I need to stock up before march

9. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    mitch,
    I have had some skipjack frozen for about 6-12 months and I tend to try them when I get out.I havent been fishing in so long it really hurts.But when you get old we have a chance to pick our days.
    I am new in cincy and need some advice where to get in the Ohio river for a fishing trip.

10. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    Hey catfishbill i live in cincy, close to cleves, let me know if you find any places for skips or chubs, I can get shad at miami whitewater in the spring and summer, but looking for some skips now

11. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mitch,
    Haven't had any luck lately, but sometimes you get em on the indiana side of Markland dam, I've caught a few there on occasion.

12. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    Dave to get skips, on indiana would I need an Indiana Liscense, or would an ohio be okay for the local waters?

Thanks for the info.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a bunch of skips frozen for early spring fishing..But as soon as I can get fresh shad I will not use the skips.

14. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    flathunter where did you get those skips?
    im in cincinnati/cleves

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    RMXMitch, try any of the warmwater discharges on the Ohio, ( for skippies) several on the Ohio side upstream from Cinci all require a boat , but one near Manchester, Ohio ( across from Maysville KY) offers some bank fishing but its very hit or miss.
    By the way, I took a channel last week and then another one the first week of Jan. From the Great Miami River, they can be caught, just takes a little patience and keep at it. Were heading out tomorrow again.

Salmonid

16. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Markland would take a indiana license, and I they are reciprocal with a ky license.

So you need either an Indiana or KY license to fish there, on the banks, tributaries take a license for the state it's in.

17. sliprig1

sliprig1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish all year long, weather permitting. Meaning I can launch the boat. Shad can be had all year long. Their just a little harder to locate in the winter. I always carry frozen bait but prefer fresh caught.

Sliprig

18. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    :crying: not trying to sound negative, but ive been out 3-4 times this year already and havent had a hit. im targeting channel cats and using chicken livers and fishing the same holes i always fish. these holes are 4-6 feet deep at most............ is this too shallow ???? i hear i should go to the deepest holes on the river that i know and try them ........is this true ?? or should i fsh the usual areas that i have confidence in ??? oh yeah im fishing a small river system. HELP ??????

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    TCBA, the water is just to cold right now for much action, it will improve in a few weeks.

20. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    when it improves Jack i will be knocking on your door to get out on the Scioto