How early in the year, do you start going back out to fish for flathead catfish..?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by WWteg, Nov 13, 2009.

1. WWteg

WWteg New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I havent gone out in like 3 weeks. And i already got the fever. How soon is a good time to get out on the water, or fish from the banks.

What kinda water temp should i be looking for next year before i can go out.

I no them big guys gotta be hungry after hiding all winter..

thanks in advance.

2. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Around 50 degress they start .Its not to late now .try cutt shad in deep water.I tried april 1 st this here .an we boated a 32 # flat head.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    flatty's aren't totally out of the question around the region in the winter. There are a couple places around to get a couple in the dead of winter. This past January i caught a couple in one trip on doctored cutbait.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    once the water got around 55*-60* then the flatty's seemed ta move around, which was in may last year. if we get an early spring could be end of april

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Ditto.Around 60 for me with the action heating up a lot more at 65+.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I start hunting flatties when the hickory shad and American shad show up.

It all depends on the river temp. Some years like in 08, I got em in April, in 09 when i didn't get crap in April.:embarassed:

I've never caught anything big when the water is below 60.:cool2:

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Thank you very much for that info. Tan. :0a31:

Ray

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I always start throwing baits to 'em around or before trout season (mid april). I never really get good numbers/big fish until ~65+

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I usually start the end of April. I might go tonight for a little if I can get out of the house. The water temp. is still at 55 degrees.

10. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    I go when Lendog goes. He is the skuke river guide:smile2::big_smile::wink:

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I think it was May when I started this year

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I can't even get Lenny to take me out. Lastime I was out with him was in his old boat and I think I caught more than he did. Ever since that he hasen't offered to take me out.

13. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    like everyone else said may was the start for me, i went out before that but with no luck. I did catch my pb in may though a 29lber. but the water temp is more important than what month it is all depends on mother nature. tight lines...justin

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    ya need ya book your charter early and i'll pencil ya in:wink::smile2:

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I don't need to go out on a boat that bad little buddy. I get bigger fish from the bank than you guys get on you boats. How bout next year us bank guys take on you boat guys. You guys even have the upper hand since you can fish just about any night you want to. What do you guys think about that? Well say from May 1 - Aug 31.

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Flatheads pretty much shut down once the water temp is near 50 and under,but blues and channels will stay actice and feeding well below those temps,target them for some late season action and early spring action will be your best bet,and you might happen to land a cold flattie if you drop a bait on their nose. blues and channels can be caught year around even under the ice,icefishing. smaller baits that are strong and oily smelling put out the best scent in cold water to draw them in. flatheads will bury themselves down in the mud and crud and not move much.

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    wish we had some blue cats in PA, then i'd never hang up my catty gear:big_smile:

18. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa

Hummmmmm, I wouldn't mind getting in on this. If nothing else, should be fun.

19. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am thinking #30+ or #35+ should be the mark.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    doesn't matter ta me, last year 98% of my fish were caught from the bank, i didn't get the jet until Aug. and hardly took out the fiberglass boat. geez a full spring and summer with this boat should really produce, i'll have ta check my schedule:smile2: