How early/ How late?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Raven Blayde, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just wondering how early in the year and how late most of you guys catch cats in the rivers. I've had a few people tell me that the cats bite year around, but I don't think I'll be out there fishing in the snow myself. :smile2:

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i'll fish in just about any weather maybe just not a snowstorm or a major freeze

3. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    if i can stand it i'll fish:eek:oooh:

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have heard Blue cats can be caught year round an d have seen vidoes of it too !I have caught Smallmouths as late as Nov. and as early as March with 6in. of wet snow on the ground .And trout as well....Hunting season changes my priorities usually tho.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I usually fish for cats through sept. or so. Then it's saugeye time.

6. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the replies! Was just sitting here wondering to myself how long I had left before the fishing was over for the year. Maybe that will be decided on how much cold I can stand. lol..

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest with you, if you dont fish the cooler weather, you are missing out on some good fishing...the thing you have to remember is as the water cools, the fish patterns will change. catfish for example, will become more active during the day. i have caught some of my bigger fish in weather that i have to skin the ice off the line. my personal opinion, i will fish any weather as long as it isn't cold and raining at the sametime.

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    cold winter is some of the best in my opinion. I have been out and had the water on the line freezing to my rod tip as I was reeling in. remimber its easy to warm up in the winter but its hard to keep cool in the summer out on the water in the boat or on bank. main thing is not to make your self sweat thats when you'll start getting sick. I'm like lance my priorties change more to deer hunting but theres always time for the big ol cat in there too.

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    some of my best fishing comes durning nov-feburary. i caught some big ol stripers the week between christmas and newyears. ask biga. i had 4 of them weigh in at 28 lbs all together and a ton of skips that day. ive been fishing where the water splashes on the side of the boat and freezes instantly. crazy eh. but i love it. heck ive even had to break ice to get to some of my favorite holes on the ohio river.

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Winter fishing is a good time to be out for alot of different fish.I also believe that fish caught in cold water taste better.:big_smile:

11. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    :smile2: Thanks guys! I'll have to try this.