How does this bait sound?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by khensu0213, Mar 20, 2006.

1. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi all.

I was thinking of trying my hand at creating a homemade bait. Here's what I'm thinking. Let me know what you guys think. I plan on trying this bait out this year. Here's the recipe:

1 pound chicken livers with blood
    grated parmesan cheese
    vanilla extract
    2 packets strawberry kool aid
    1 raw egg
    flour or cornmeal to thicken

Directions:
    mash up the livers, vanilla, and egg
    add in the kool aid, parmesan cheese and flour/ cornmeal to desired thickness.
    Let mixture set outside in some heat for a couple days

I plan on using a treble hook with the spring on it to hold the bait, so I'm thinking It's going to have to be pretty thick.

I figure the blood from the livers will be good, plus the scent of the parmesan and egg once it 'ripens' should be a good attractant. Let me know what you guys think.

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    if i was you before i headed out to use that bait id pick up a gas mask. a while back i had 2 tubs of livers that went bad. i put them in a old blender made liver mush soup then added a ton of garlic and got a bunch of flour and made a good ball out of it stuck it in my cooler in my car and ended up forgeting about it never used it bout a week later i got in my car and wwwwwwwwooooweeeee i thought about useing it tell i opended the cooler lid and bout passed out

3. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois

LOL...Oh...that reminds me...garlic will be in that recipe as well....
    Yeah, I'm expecting to need a gas mask once this thing ripens a bit. But I guess the stinkier the better for cats...right?

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    actually my dad makes and sells a popular stink bait and has become well known for it he had a guy study his bait its the stuff breaking down that attracts it puts off some chemical into the water that the cats like its so its not really the smell its how rotten it is

5. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Interesting....good to know. I tell you I learn something every time I come to this site.
    Is the bait your dad makes available for commercial sale?

6. Tar_River_kid

Tar_River_kid New Member

State:
    NC- Nash county
    Sounds stinky lol, I would give it a shot, worst case you wont catch any on it. Or maybe you will catch a lot but, it will stink soooooooooo bad that you gag every time you rebait!

7. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Natural fish oils would be good to use iniy. keeping a bait as close to natural as you can when making it is a key to making a good bait. consider where the baits going to be used what temps you going to use it in what type fish you are targeting water temp plays a roll as how a bait will and will not break down and so does the things you use to make the bait.

Also consider what the bait is going to be used around. most homemade baits are used for catching eating size channels. thats not saying a big cat cant be got onit cause i have got large cats on strips of rolled up bacon.

I hope this helps. keeping your bait off bottom a foot or a little more will inprove your hook sets and how well the fish can get t you bait and hold it longer.

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My dad is the maker of Bells Of Hell Stink Bait, Hes stoped selling it for now hes been haveing health problems. But Ive started selling it here just locally, Im not sure what his plans are on selling it out of state he was haveing a problem with the jars explodeing due to the gases that build up in the jar, when theses jars heat up BOOM. Haven't figured out how to ship them without havening them blow up. He actaully never wanted to make money off the bait he has been giveing the recipe away for years on his website. Then one day he had the Dallas Mornning News at his door ended up on the front page of the metro section. Then he was in the Wall Street Journal along with Danny Kings and a couple other magazines. PM me if you would like the link to his website. Like I said you can get the recipe there but can no longer order it. Only for sale locally.

9. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    khensu0213
    I've used this recipe for 2 years now and its always worked.
    Two 3-5 inch bluegills
    1 Carton of chicken livers
    Heavy garlic
    flour

Just grind up the bluegills, then mix them in with the livers, (don't drain the blood) and add heavy garlic then flour. The more flour the better it stays on, unless its drys.
    I would wait till the water warms up before you use any stink bait though.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I don't know how it sounds,but it smells horrible...good luck

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Wow, you have to catch something with that. Even if it's the flies it will draw to it....lol Just kidding, I have seen a guy do this before and had great results. But your right to wait until the water warms up a bit.

12. KansasCat

KansasCat New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    might as well try it

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds like your gonna need some biohazard stickers and a gas mask to handle that. Good luck, hope the catfish don't find it overpowering lol.

14. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey, James can i get that web site address too? like to see what all is in it to blow up! may need to use plastic containers,like chicken livers come in and freeze it to transport,also put warning label on ONCE THAWED KEEP LID OFF FOR VENTILATION CONTENTS MAY EXPLODE REFREEZE AFTER USE.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm planning on trying out a new 'secret' bait this summer. It will be a sponge bait, although it could be added to other stuff to make other type baits.
    To make it, simply put a pint or quart of live maggots into an old blender. (Cuz you ain't gonna want to use it for anything but bait ever again.) Puree the maggots and put them into whatever type jar or container suits you. To use, simply dip your spongehook into the liquid, use a stick or twig to massage the sponge a little to get a good load, and put your bait in the water. Hint: Be careful how you cast. Slinging this stuff onto your partner while casting may offend him/her.

16. fatboy

fatboy New Member

State:
    tenn
    Sounds Like It Would Work To Me!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tripp

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    All I can say is that I hope you make it outside if your not single. lol its sounds like it'd work. if the spring & treble doesnt work then try it in a nylon bag or as chum. MMMmmmm...... yum.

18. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds like it might work, might as well give it a try.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've anchored off the end of a rock jetty, threaded several maggots on a hook, and caught catfish, bream, crappie, and bass while fishing the same spot.

20. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you guys are making me hungry