How does the James River look with all of this rain

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by BudMan131, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BudMan131

BudMan131 Member

State:
    Maryland
    I am from Maryland and its been raining cats and dogs here all week and i know the Potomac is very high and muddy so i think i will go to the James on Saturday if it is fit to fish !!! I am not sure if Virginia got all of this rain !!! Thinking of putting in at Jordans Point !!! Thanks BudMan !!!

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC. I spoke to my brother a little while ago. He said the river was high and muddy. I am in Argentina right now so I can't verify that. The spawn is on right now so I don't know how well you will do down there.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    You might want to give the Occoquan River a try...I travel across it and the Potomac every day on my way to work. While the rains have affected the Potomac, the Occoquan looks to be in good shape. I'm thinking that's where I'll be on Monday.

If you've never fished it, as you enter the Occoquan from the Potomac, follow the channel markers until you see a couple of islands just off the channel on the right. That's the first spot to try. Anchor off the channel and cast into the deeper water. Good fish hang out there.

Further up, just below the Rt. 1 railroad bridge, the water drops to 20+ feet in front of some docks on the right. Be careful where you anchor as there is a cable that runs under the water there and could snag your anchor...look for the signs. Again, fish the deep water and the drop offs.

Further up, under the I-95 bridge, it goes to 30+ feet. Fish around the "legs" of the bridge...can be a hotspot at times. Your Maryland license is good up to the I-95 bridge in VA on the Occoquan.

A bonus for the Occoquan is the little fished for Flatheads that call this place home. They are few and far between but they are big! Live bait in the deeper water under the I-95 bridge may hook you up with a trophy.

Tight lines and let us know how you make out.

4. BudMan131

BudMan131 Member

State:
    Maryland

Thanks Chuck,but i have no idea where you are on the Potomac and the Occoquan !!! I am looking for areas down there to fish !!! Maybe we could hook up and do some fishing together, i am off work all next week !!! and would really love a tour down there !!!! Thanks Bud.

5. BudMan131

BudMan131 Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks Ken for that info, it looks like Deep Creek Lake for Walleyes !!!

6. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Bud -
    I live on the James just south of downtown Richmond. It's a little high but not bad. Still muddy though. I fish from the bank and will probably try it Sunday.

Here's a site where you can check the river height. The gauge is in the west end of Richmond. Four to five feet is about normal for the summer. Five feet plus in the spring when it's raining.
    http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=akq&gage=rmdv2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

As you can see we're running 5.5 to 6 feet now. It's been high all spring.

Last weekend I caught four blues up to about 10 pounds, and my first flathead of the season, about 10 pounds.

I've fished out of Jordan's Point but don't know what the river is doing down there.

Good luck.

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been fishing 4 mile creek at Deep Bottom with little success. I'd like to find a good bank to fish from.

8. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Thanks Steve, for the link... Great info! By the looks of it, the mountains got more than we did and it's headed this way...

David, are you fishing the Pier at the point of the discharge creek? Trying to get the names of some of the areas as known by the guys that fish 'em.

First post here (I think) :doubt: Getting back on dry land at this point, and looking at finding some big cats to supply the pullage. First time I've looked at Catfish as the primary goal, but looking forward to it, and all the other aspects of fishing I've loved in the past. New friends, good chat, and the thrill of the "Hunt", as well as watching (hopefully) as my PB rises higher up the charts.

Richmond native, born and bred... just starting to beat the banks on the Northside of the James around Osborne and Deep Bottom. After 35 years of boat fishing (as well as surf), this will take a little getting used to.

There may be a more formal "Meet and Greet" area on your site, if so, I miss it :0a13:

TL's,

SS

9. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    welcome to the BOC luce. good luck on your huntin the big cats. they are in there.

10. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish over by the canoe launch area on the bank, I fish about 100 yards down from the launch. I've found there are about 5-6 areas to bank fish. I usually go down to Charles City at the Wilcox Wharf pier. I fished Osboune boat landing for a year solid with minimal luck as well as Dock Street in downtown Richmond...the river is muddy. Once it clears up I'm going up to Pony Pasture and find the flathead holes.
    I don't know where a pier is at the discharge area but if you can catch fish there I'd like to know where its at
    later
    david

11. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    David, sorry... My bad! I was thinking Dutch Gap was where you were fishing... there is a small pier at the end, where the plant discharge flows out.

Went to Osborne the other day, couple nibbles in 2-3 hrs :0a13: I was hoping it might be better there, as the channel shouldn't be too far. Saw some guys catching small, so went down with a Surf outfit. I live near Osborne and DB, and right now close is good for me :)

12. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm sure we'll cross paths fishing, I fish that area alot. Too much for sure.
    good luck

13. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    Lets hope its all ready to go for July 11th because thats when I will be visiting