How does the carolina fishfinder rig work?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bigcat1, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Bigcat1

Bigcat1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Why is the carolina fish finder rig good i dont understand the swivel, to me just having a hook on the end of my line is ok but, what is the purpose of it and how does it actually work?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    It's a Slip Sinker, Swivel, Leader and hook. Very simple rig, when the fish picks up the bait and runs he will not drag the weight along and will not feel it, the line just slides thru the sinker. My favorite rig.

3. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    also cats luv to spin around and the swivel will help keep the line from getting tangled

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thats pretty much how it works, also since the weight isnt right on the hook the bait tends to fall and float in the current longer. at least thats my theory

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Not only that but depending on how the bait is cut the bait may also spin underwater and its just there to keep you from getting as many twists in your line

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I don't think its called a fish finder rig, its the carolina rig which is only the name that discribes the way the sinker, swivel and hook are arranged on your line and almost all different arrangements have names. I think all the previous posts do a fine job of explaining the need for a swivel.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Fish Finder Rig for (Surf):[/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The fishfinder rig is a single-hook rig that moves along the line. The running line or shock leader is threaded through a sleeve, usually made from plastic, and then tied to a large swivel. The leader is tied to the other end of the swivel. A sinker snap is attached to the plastic sleeve to secure the sinker, which will rest on the bottom. When a fish picks up the bait, it can move away without feeling the weight of the sinker. This is important when using live baits or when the target species needs a bit of time to get the bait well in its mouth.
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The length of the leader on a fishfinder rig is a matter of some disagreement among anglers. A long leader, up to 36 inches, is favored by some, but it is very difficult to cast. Short leaders of 12 inches or less are easier to cast but provide little protection to the running line or shock leader. One variation is to put the plastic sleeve on the leader; this restricts the amount of line a fish can take but allows the sinker to slide down within 6 inches of the hook when casting.[/FONT]
    [​IMG]It looks a lot like a carolina rig but is a little different. A crolina rig is more common and easier to rig up than a fishfinder. I hope the pic helps show the differences.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sorry but the first link did not come up

[​IMG]

See the little thing hanging down that looks like a swivel? That is where you would connect your weight. A carolina rig the weight is directly attached to the main line and the line feeds through the lead.