How does one rid themselves of the HICCUPS?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Apr 7, 2007.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm goin nutz! I have had these hiccupps for three days now probably brought on by stress but thier causing me more stress than I had! Grrr
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
    :confused2:

or is it spelled hiccoughs? idunno either! lol

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jay,
    Here's a trick that works most of the time. You will need a glass of water and another person. have Your friend stick his/her fingers in your ears and then chug the whole glass of water. works most of the time.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jay Ive had them for a long time but never more than a day. Usually I could hold my breath for 2 min (yes I timed it) and I would not be doing it anymore. I wish I could help more but that always worked for me. I would also get them real bad if I ate too much and then went to smoke one LOL, it was a pain in the buttttttt

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ok, I had Amy (much to her dismay) put her fingers in my ears and, well,... lets just say that was a bit uncomfortable for the both of us and didn't work either (Thank you Brad :confused2: ) I tried a spoonfull of sugar... Blech! (also no-go) I'm just about ready to "smoke one"...lol (J/K but thanks ryang)...I have held my breath numerous times too but to no avail!
    Any more bright ideas from the peanut gallery? I really need em'... BAD
    I am desperate now!

5. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Anytime I get the hiccups I just hold my breathe for about a minute and slowly exhale after the minute is up. If you hiccup while you are holding your breathe stop and start over by holding your breathe. Sometimes they are stubborn but keep repeating the process and they should go away.

6. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    sorry it didn't work for Ya Jay, like I said it works most of the time. But then again I've never heard of anyone having them for 3 days

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
  8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    what I'll do is swallow 3 times & then burb.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never heard of a person having hiccups for 3 days. I would say also go see your doctor.:smile2:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    last time I had hiccups I just looked in the mirror, skeered em right out :lol:

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    What I do is hold my breath and pretty much tell myself(yes in my head) that I'm not going to hiccup anymore. when I can't hold my breath very much longer I inhale some more and hold. when i can't hold that breath for much longer, i suck more air in and hold. You have to make sure you're telling yourself you're not going to hiccup again the whole time. the only time this doesn't work is if i'm drinking -it doesn't allow me to concentrate. good luck!

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too man. I watched a show on TV one time about a girl that had them for a long time.Nothing serious with her but at least get it checked out and make sure!!! Keep us posted!

13. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Jay,

I feel for you, brother. I've had the same problem 3 times in the past 20 years, twice after surgery and the last time after I got into a wad of dust off some OSB plywood.. Toughed it out for as long as 5 days, but I couldn't sleep and it hurt really bad. Seems like they got more violent as the days go on. Went to the doc and they gave me some kind of tranquilizer. If you're not up to going to the doc, try a huge spoon of creamy peanutbutter swallowed down whole - kind of similar to the sugar in the back of the throat trick but tends to coat everything on the way down. Hope you find relief.

Dennis

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Oh yeah,I remember they gave her Thorazine.You probably have heard of it.If youhave or can get it try it.Its supposed to work.No kidding!

15. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Try ten sips of cold water through your teeth, you might have to do it a few times before it works, but Ive never seen it fail.

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have tried almost every remedy suggested and then some. If they're not gone by sometime today then I am going to dr's. It's now 7:01 AM and I'm wearing down..Thank you all!

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You're my Bro.I care about your health and think you need to get them taken care of and rule out anything bad!
    Keep us posted!!!

18. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    i have had great luck with other people by telling them to take three deep breaths, hold the third one, close their eyes, and for as long as it's comfortable, and while they are holding it, concentrate on someone who should be thinking about them at that time. when they feel the need to release their breath i always tell them to do it slowly and remain relaxed.
    this has had a 90% rate of success
    best of luck!
    Eric B

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    it's funny you should mention this. i watched my girlfriend do this lastnight on her little cousin. and it worked!!! she's a school teacher. she's got all kind of little tricks like that.

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Buddah, take some long deep breaths and exhale evenly. A college professor told me once that hiccups were usually caused by a lack of oxygen to ur brain. Whether that's true or not, the deep and even breathing always works for me. Just breathe deeply and evenly for a while and see if that doesn't work for you.

I could use this on my kids and make them go away every time. Works for me & my wife as well.

Good luck.